Forums Latest Members
  1. theluckyluke Feb 9, 2024

Hi all,

I recently started looking into Polerouters. I found immensely helpful threads here (for instance), but the variations in dials, fonts etc. are frankly frying my brain!!!

Could you help me in sense checking the watch below? It is proposed at around 800€. Looking at eBay sales, this seems a correct price, if the example is original and if I can live with the average condition.

My assessment:

Case: Looks in pretty good shape. Decent definition on the lugs.
    Case back: shows reference 20217-4. Decently good state. 185xxxx makes it later production. Normally I would expect to see S or H as a prefix (H in this case), but it seems there are also legit examples without.
    Crown: looks correct.

Dial: Fair condition. Some damage in the center but the owner says it’s not on the dial. Still need to follow up. Some lume dots are gone. Need to convince myself that it’s above my condition threshold…

Orange flag: the L in “UNIVERSAL” seems a bit off. The text “AUTOMATIC” lacks a bit of symmetry, but the rest looks decently good. To be frank, this is what really makes me hesitate as to whether this is a redial. I would have said so initially, but after researching and finding many legit examples where the fonts are far from perfect, I am not too sure anymore.

Any thoughts on the dial, the overall condition and the asking price?

Thanks in advance
    Lucas

IMG_2541.jpeg 204027fa-866c-47bb-a81b-cdee9a57cde0.jpeg IMG_2540.jpeg IMG_2543.jpeg IMG_2542.jpeg

2. Mazoue Feb 9, 2024

theluckyluke likes this.
  3. theluckyluke Feb 9, 2024

Thanks @Mazoue. Same watch actually :whistling: I didn’t see this post. Thanks for confirming.

Polerouters seem to exponentially go up in prices as dials get better!

4. bubba48 Feb 10, 2024

Mine from 1954 for comparison

universal polerouter 54 (7).jpg

bardamu, theluckyluke, LesXL and 2 others like this.
  5. LesXL Feb 11, 2024

And mine PXL_20240211_161249006.MP.jpg

theluckyluke, Ohmeguh and bubba48 like this.
  6. Ohmeguh Feb 11, 2024

I bet in 5 more years you will have more constellations in that night sky!

LesXL likes this.
  7. Mazoue Feb 12, 2024

And here’s an example from The Polerouter book. It’s the S20217-1 reference without lume but the text is super clear for you to be able to compare with the watch in question. IMG_1275.jpeg

LesXL and theluckyluke like this.
  8. theluckyluke Feb 12, 2024

Stunning examples from everyone.

I am in the fence on this one. It’s decently priced but the issues on the dial (I wish that center mark was a tad smaller…) is putting me off. I don’t have a polerouter yet, neither do I have a black dial.

The majority of polerouters have some patina, more or less pronounced. Often it looks harmonious and gentle - while this one has shifted from patina to damage…. But then I also think the person has taken the pic with the harshest light possible and it could look much better in person…

LesXL likes this.
  9. LesXL Feb 12, 2024

Hopefully, there will be in my collection rather than on the dial :)

Ohmeguh and theluckyluke like this.