Forums Latest Members

First Omega, Seamster 300m or Aqua Terra?

1. AvrgJoe Jan 28, 2020

Hello all,

New member here hoping to acquire some recommendations for a purchase that I have been looking forward to for years.

A few years ago I went on a cruise in the Carribean while onboard I was turned onto swiss made watches and bought my first TAG. I now have two Tag Heuer watches, but I am ready to jump to the next level in swiss watches and Omega has been the brand I was quickly drawn too. Over the past year, I have been going back and forth between which Omega will win its way into my watch case.

The two that I have been incredibly drawn towards are the new Seamaster 300m stainless steel grey dial and the Aqua Terra steel white dial and orange second hand, both with steel bracelets. Images below. I am hoping this great group of enthusiasts can help lead me to make the best choice for me.

A little insight into my self for a tailored watch recco... I am in my mid-20s and want a watch I can wear with anything on any day, able to dress it up on a Saturday night and keep it on through the Sunday recovery brunch. Wearing it to work every day is also a must, I am an airline pilot so a black suit and tie in the winter and short sleeve white collared shirt /w tie in the summer must work.

Looking forward to reading your replies, and thanks in advance!

ZB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mad Dog and Wetworks like this.
  2. scapa Jan 28, 2020

Strictly my personal opinion as a current SMP owner -- love the watch and think it's an exceptional value for the engineering and materials that it offers at the price, but when I'm in the lab and legibility is paramount I find myself defaulting to some of my other watches, and I think the AT is hard to beat for its wearability and flexibility, a sporty elegance that you can dress up and down. Each has its advantages -- these new ATs have a beautiful case design, textured but not cluttered, while I prefer the greater adjustability of the SMP bracelet clasp. My advice would be to spend some time with both watches if possible, and try to get a sense of which provides the right balance of pleasure and practicality for your needs.

If I were looking to buy my first Omega now, as much as I love my divers, I'd take a much harder look at the AT.

And I'd probably end up with a Speedy soon after.

Dr.K, EatMan and AvrgJoe like this.
  3. Lenny Pepperidge Jan 28, 2020

If you want an all-around "able to dress it up" watch, then it's the AT no question. The SMP is a pure tool watch, and while there's more flexibility these days with that, the Aqua Terra is the one that can be worn with jeans and a t-shirt up to your best suit. Black tie is really going to be the only area where an AT won't work.

pongster and AvrgJoe like this.
  4. brownwld Jan 28, 2020

I own both SMP+AT and I think AT matches your needs better... But since you are a pilot what about a Rolex GMT?

5. AvrgJoe Jan 28, 2020

Thanks for the responses everyone, I agree the AT would go with the uniform but I'm scared I'd be admiring the SMP a few months later... but I guess that all apart of the hobby/addiction haha.
    As for the Rolex GMT, it is a beautiful watch (prefer the Explorer II) but I couldn't justify a 10k watch rn in life. My TAG is a GMT and I hardly look at the function.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Lenny Pepperidge Jan 28, 2020

Or you could go for a GMT that you can actually walk in and buy while scratching the high end diver itch at the same time. Not terribly dressy, and dress cuffs are not its friend.

[​IMG]

AvrgJoe likes this.
  7. AvrgJoe Jan 28, 2020

I do love the Planet Ocean but at 43.5mm I don't think I could pull it off, on my 7" wrist. I have also looked at the AT GMTs but they seem harder to find.

8. Lenny Pepperidge Jan 28, 2020

You'll have to go grey market for one or find legacy inventory at an AD. The Chicago boutique told me they're currently discontinued but will be coming back (hopefully with better lugs that don't measure 51mm) in the near future. Though I'm sure that the case diameter on the AT GMT will remain at 43.

9. LM2611 Jan 28, 2020

1000% Seamaster 300, but not a huge fan of the grey dial.

Texans93, Tony and AvrgJoe like this.
  10. Evose Jan 28, 2020

I really like the Seamaster 300. Can’t go wrong with either, though.

11. gbesq Jan 28, 2020

92FF6706-2BA8-40F6-A2DF-5D52852FB197.jpeg If you want a great “all rounder,” you might want to consider the pre-2018 version of the SMPc with the black glossy resin dial (a blue dial version is also available). The Omega reference number is 212.30.41.20.01.003. In the humble opinions of many of us here at OF, this is a better looking version than the current SMPc and as a “dress diver” it will pair up nicely with just about any attire. It’s a bit smaller at 41mm, a bit thinner at roughly 13 mm, and it sports Omega’s coaxial 2500d movement which is a proven, reliable and very accurate workhorse. This model is becoming harder to find, but several grey market dealers still have it in stock. Chitown watch in Chicago still has it on their website for $3,900 as of today with Omega’s full manufacturers warranty.

Edited Jan 29, 2020
    KeithS and AvrgJoe like this.
  12. Wetworks Jan 28, 2020

Have that exact diver, love that AT. The 300 Diver is plenty dressy for the life you describe you lead presently IMO. That said, legibility isn't terrific (50 yo eyes talking here), so the AT may be the better choice. Oreo/Orca PO is amazing, wears smaller than you'd think, but as someone note, shirt cuffs are a foe.

How is it no one has suggested a Speedy? There's a certain pilot on here who I am sure will be through to extol it's virtues. @Mad Dog

AvrgJoe and Mad Dog like this.
  13. Watchout312 Jan 28, 2020

My vote goes to a 300 master 8C8C5BB0-78AD-4C40-948E-4125D006F652.jpeg

KeithS likes this.
  14. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 28, 2020

Yeppers...it’s a good [great] pilot watch...one of my faves! :thumbsup:

F7F6AB0D-2B69-487B-9DAE-D9E8ABFF16B1.jpeg

E1C3FB2C-357C-48E9-826F-D006EF82648D.jpeg

And...imho, it looks good [great] with the almighty Dwight Schrute action figure ensemble...short sleeves and a tie! :thumbsup:

FE0BA820-2FFF-4C7A-98F6-428830C329F6.jpeg

Undefeatable, Eve, EatMan and 6 others like this.
  15. Partagas Jan 28, 2020

Mad Dog pilot, cool! I hated working them (throwing bags) on the ramp for Delta way back in college '89-92, but always liked the jet. Not many left now.

Mad Dog and AvrgJoe like this.
  16. Lenny Pepperidge Jan 28, 2020

2000-2007, I must have done about half a million miles in the AA versions.......sitting about 30 feet behind, and with a cocktail on my tray, from where @Mad Dog sits.

AvrgJoe and Mad Dog like this.
  17. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 28, 2020

I think one of the trilogy limited editions might be worth a look but they're expensive.

Tom

18. Evose Jan 28, 2020

Mad Dog likes this.
  19. KeithS Jan 28, 2020

I agree with your recommendation. I think the SMPc is a great watch. For the record, however, it was the 2541.80 that was worn in Goldeneye and the 2531.80 that was worn in the subsequent Brosnan movies. I think these are more appropriately nicknamed “Bond” watches.

20. gbesq Jan 29, 2020

Yes, I agree. If I remember correctly, the 2541.80 had a wave dial, an aluminum bezel, and a quartz movement whereas the version I’m recommending to the OP has the glossy dial without waves, a ceramic bezel and the 2500d automatic movement.