Forums Latest Members

Green Dial Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Review (220.10.41.21.10.001)

1. Barqy May 2, 2021

Some background - I have spent days...scratch that, weeks of my life researching watches. Dress watches, sports watches, high horology, Rolex, Omega...you name it, I've tried to absorb as much information as possible over the past 5 years or so. Why you ask? Because I was on the hunt for my first luxury timepiece. I have always appreciated watches and have worn a wristwatch since I was about 12 years of age.

It's taken me a long time to pull the trigger for largely financial and emotional readiness reasons, but I did it! Spoiler alert, it's in the thread title. There was also a large part of me that was overwhelmed by the choices out there. My budget was up to $10,000 - which provides a very wide range of watches to consider. So, how was I going to narrow down my options? I had to literally create and write down at a "needs analysis" to help me render a decision. I'll share some of those considerations below:

1) Daily wearer. It needs to be at home in the boardroom and with jeans and a t-shirt. I have an office job and am typically and in nice pants and a collared shirt, so it needs to fit in there. Also, because I was gearing up for my first luxury watch, I wanted to get good mileage out of it (i.e. - tons of wrist time). I don't (yet) have the privilege of a robust luxury watch collection, but maybe one day.
    2) Legibility. If I can't easily tell the time, it doesn't go on my wrist.
    3) Ruggedness. I am very careful with the material things I own. With that said, I don't want to feel like I have to baby the watch, at all. Although I'm a sucker for precious metals like gold, stainless steel was going to be the material of choice here, no doubt about it.
    4) Technology. Here I was looking for great anti-magnetism, good power reserve and accuracy in time keeping. The Caliber 8900 delivers in spades.

With the above out of the way, I had a plethora of options out there. I've had my eye on the Aqua Terra for years; however, the pre 2018 version lacked ideal case symmetry for me with the 'crown guards' protruding from the crown-side of the case which destroyed the case design for me. Insert the current version we now have - SYMMETRY!!! Oh...and my favourite colour is green...it's getting better... My concern prior to seeing the wrist in the metal was the green dial and the watch's ability to fit comfortably under a dress cuff. I'm happy to report that, in my opinion, both were outstanding. Now, let's dive deeper on some of the aspects of the watch.

Some key dimensions:

- Case diameter: 41mm
    - Case thickness: 13.4mm
    - Lug to lug: ~47.8mm
    - Lug width: 20mm

Dial:

This is probably the most polarizing aspect to this watch and I'll start by saying it looks way better in the metal than most of the photographs or renderings on the internet. When I first saw the images, I was turned off even. Really Omega, that's what you put on the website? Absolutely dreadful. No wonder why most folks were trashing the green watch dial without seeing it in the flesh...I must admit I was the same. That all changed when I called up my AD and they sent me real life pictures and a short video with the dial dancing in some lighting. Oh boy, the hook was set. I journeyed to the AD to see it on wrist and I was in love. Now, it is definitely muted in most lighting conditions. It appears a dark green / olive 80% of the time, sometimes coming across as near black. The remaining 20% is an emerald type of green, which is very mesmerizing to stare at - time almost seems to stand still in those moments.

The domed sapphire crystal that protects that lovely dial has AR coating on both sides making it appear as though there is no crystal at all - the dial is very legible. I love the date window at the 6 o'clock position (did someone say symmetry?!). The hour markers, the hands, the text, the lazer-etched horizontal lines of various thickness, all so crisp and precise. It's very well executed here.

Where can Omega improve here? I think the lume is a let down. It's not very vibrant at all and the lume plots are not very large on the hour markers. It would make more sense to me to also have lume on the minute hand throughout, as on a quick glance you're not sure if its the minute or second hand in the dark as they both have an arrow head design. You almost have to wait to see which one is sweeping away at 25,200 vibrations per hour. Ah yes, 2 seconds later you can quit squinting and make out the correct time

Overall the dial is a huge winner in by books.

Case design:

At 41mm it's not small by any means, but it's not massive either. Ideally I think it could have been 40mm, but I'm splitting hairs here. It's also a touch on the thick side in my opinion at 13.4mm. I would have loved to see them in the 11 to 12mm range. Again, oh well. The twisted lugs are so fantastic and it's off the beaten path in that regard, which is a draw for me. The lugs are not the norm when compared to other watch brands and they have an elegance to them with the combination of brushed and polished steel. Wait, but isn't this a sports watch? Yes, yes it is...It's a classy sports watch.

It's the small details that also intrigued me like the crown design. The conical delight works perfectly with the curves of this watch, as opposed to a (more) traditional cylinder shaped crown. As aesthetically pleasing as it is, I do admittedly find it difficult to screw down to ensure my 150 meters of water resistance. My average sized man mitts sometimes struggle to get a good purchase on it to snug it against the case properly.

Bracelet:

It's a nice bracelet, but nothing special. Sure it's machined well and there's a lot of debate on polished center links (PCL) vs. brushed. I'm happy to report that this indeed has PCL and brushed outer links - a nice pairing in my eyes. Sure the PCL are scratch magnets, but who cares!

The bracelet also tappers, although it's hardly noticeable to my eye and runs from 20mm at the lug spacing to 18mm at the clasp. Speaking of clasp, this twin trigger deployant is nothing to write home about. It works fine, but leaves me feeling so-so about it. That said, it does have a very slim profile, helping my slide this watch under my dress cuff.

More importantly is the lack of quick/micro adjustment system on this bracelet. Again, come on Omega! This has been a frequent critique of these watches. Let's put this in production, it's not rocket science here.

The screwed links are a definitely plus here and help provide a security around fixing those bad boys in place. Pins are, well, cheap.

Of note and as I was researching this watch, others had mentioned that the bracelet edges felt sharp. I have to agree here. Originally when I first picked up the watch and the links weren't 'broken in' per se, it was a touch uncomfortable, or perhaps my non-luxury adorned wrist wasn't used to such quality. After a couple days it noticeably improved with the way it slid up and down my wrist. Even to my touch now, the 90 degree edge is almost, as best I can describe, sharp. It's not immensely off-putting, but it's something worth bringing up.

Movement:

Omega's caliber 8900 that powers this beauty is nothing short of fantastic. Let me hit you with the quick facts:
    - 60 hours of power reserve;
    - Automatic (and hand wind);
    - Regulated at 0 to +5 seconds per day from the factory;
    - Shock resistant;
    - Antimagnetic up to 15,000 gauss; and
    - You can hack the balance.

I appreciate all the features above and feel like Omega is punching well above its weight here in terms of giving the consumer some great technology in their movement offering.

It doesn't have a quickset date function which I thought I'd miss to be honest; however, I tried the functionality of having the hour hand being able to independently 'jump' forward and back, what Omega calls the 'time zone function', to adjust the date wheel, and I must admit, I quite enjoyed it. If you're a frequent traveler between time zones, you'll really appreciate this feature. When using the time zone function the watch continues to send power to the escapement and therefore is still running so you don't miss a beat

Having the sapphire glass adorning the underside of the case is also a treat for you to behold. You can peer right through and see where some of your hard earned coin is going. Although not an entirely hand-finished movement, it has an industrial beauty to it. It's something I enjoy starring at and I like to visually remind myself of its 2 barrels, 39 jewels, the full balance bridge for that shock protection, and the rotor to name a few.

Final Thoughts:

Over the past 2 months of ownership, I am extremely happy with this timepiece. I would highly recommend the 41mm Seamaster Aqua Terra to anyone looking for a great all-rounder. It can easily be your everyday, every adventure watch. The pros far outweigh the cons for me and my preferences. Happy hunting.

Photos:

Disclaimer - I am not a professional photographer, as you'll clearly see below. Just everyday use shown.

Note: I have an approximately 7.25 inch wrist in circumference.

Photo 1.jpg Photo 2.jpg Photo 3.jpeg Photo 4.jpg Photo 5.jpg Photo 6.jpg
    carlos13, Varasc, DrmexicoII and 3 others like this.
  2. magicbadger May 3, 2021

I also bought this watch recently. I am happy with it but would like to know what other metal bracelets I could put on it. I have ordered the green leather strap.

3. rfcs May 3, 2021

Great review! I have the new AT 38.5mm blue dial with both the bracelet and Omega’s rubber strap and deployant. Highly recommend the investment in Omega’s pricey rubber strap. I see three advantages: 1) casual but elegant look; 2) wearability (meaning weight) and 3) legibility (can you read time well and at night?). For me a significant advantage of the AT with the rubber strap is that it weighs less (93 grams) vs a Rolex Sub (144 grams) but more than a 36mm Datejust on a rubber strap (65 grams). Light weight on the wrist, lug to lug size, and legibility impact significantly a watch’s daily wearability. These considerations are not spoken about often. The AT even at 41mm scores highly on all points.

4. Barqy May 3, 2021

I am strongly considering the rubber strap from Omega. With that said, I'm not sure what colour would go best. Grey? Black? This I'm not sure on.

@rfcs - any thoughts?

magicbadger likes this.
  5. rfcs May 3, 2021

Tough call. Both have white stitches and neither comes stock with the 41mm green dial. I’d pick the black strap which pairs perfectly with a black dial AT and should do so as well with the dark green dial you have. Bear in mind that the 41mm is 20mm on the lugs so the strap of the 38mm won’t fit (lugs are 19mm). The grey strap may be a bit off for this dial.

6. hveminem May 13, 2021

Great review. I myself put this on a green fabric strap, since i already have the GMT master with the polished midlinks.
    5018E051-3BF5-4681-A668-C672D48F33C0.jpeg

Hittyh, Yellowjacket, scapa and 6 others like this.
  7. mbpro May 14, 2021

Is there a 38mm version with that green dial?

8. magicbadger May 14, 2021

No

9. Taximoney11 Jun 11, 2021

I am currently considering this watch! I'd love to see Omega do more what Rolex does, the bracelet tapering could be more say 20 to 16mm. Omega logo should replace marker at 12, move date to 3 and add a magnifier. I am not saying copying Rolex outright but DO more what makes Rolex sell so much better, I think Omega finally getting there, their newly revised Moon Watch had the thin tapered bracelet, I am a Rolex, I thought wow this is stunning! Lastly, I want to see Omega offer a box set including a spring bar tool, loupe, and an integrated rubber strap, and I'd be happy to pay a few hundred more. Give us the Happy Meal Omega set. This piece is gorgeous and saves almost $3K off Rolex Dayjust 41 before any discount AD or grey.

10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 12, 2021

::confused2::

11. shef175 Sep 4, 2021

Great review and beautiful watch. I almost bought this same piece today but went with the 3861 Hesalite Moonwatch instead. You're absolutely right that photos don't do the dial any favors. I'm not really a "green watch" kinda guy, but the dial is fantastic in person and the decision was tougher than I thought it would be. Enjoy!

Barqy likes this.
  12. TheNew007 Sep 28, 2021

wow, if i weren't so much a fan of blue dials, this would definitely be the Aqua Terra to go for, I am currently rocking the 38.5mm skyfall

Turpinr likes this.
  13. zkramez Jun 18, 2022

The dial is amazing! Great pickup!

14. john15lin Mar 21, 2023

I just changed to uncle seiko 1450 president bracelet and love it (choose the one meant for seamaster and not speedmaster)

15. Spqr Jul 7, 2023

Rolex watches do not "sell so much better" due to the dial design, dial furniture or any other such factor. They sell because of a laser focused, albeit disingenuous (for example the Explorer categorically did NOT summit Mount Everest), marketing campaign and internet hype. Frankly Rolex could put non-functioning movements in theor watches and still sell them. Why not ask Cartier to put a date cyclops on the Santos? Or Breitling to use the "B" logo as a 12 O'clock marker? The reason these companies do not do that is because they are not Rolex and do not use Rolex design convnetions. If you want an Omega that copies Rolex (historically it is Rolex that copied Omega, the Daytona being a direct "rip off" of the Speedmaster) you will have a very long wait, why not just buy a Rolex?

16. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Jul 7, 2023

:)::popcorn::

17. YY77 Jul 7, 2023

upload_2023-7-7_13-22-2.png

18. Dunc44 Jul 26, 2023

Looks very nice in green!

19. carlos13 Aug 23, 2023

20. carlos13 Aug 23, 2023

Here is my baby!!