Forums Latest Members
  1. George_geo Mar 20, 2023

I was debating green or black seamaster diver and last I decided black, I like green it has different and beautiful look but black is more classic and versatile as I think,
    Now I also think and like black aqua terra but with rubber strap, I’am strap person I don’t like bracelet, which model will be a better everyday watch, If you have only one omega which option would you choose and why?

EDF09666-5CAF-4042-95BB-4B9321E8C9CB.jpeg AD33D679-CCAB-45F8-889B-0F5E8A32D4DC.jpeg
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 20, 2023

Here's my two bits worth:

I faced the same decision regarding the SMP: black or blue dial (the only available options at the time), ultimately I decided on blue because it would more clearly be an un-Submariner. Regarding black SMP vs black Aquaterra, I'm a diver so the choice is obvious. In your case (assuming you're not a diver), toss a coin maybe?

Or as most here would say: "Why not get both?"

In any case, best of luck, and when you've chosen be sure to share a photo or two here!

George_geo likes this.
  3. kkqd1337 Mar 20, 2023

Depends on your lifestyle but the better everyday watch for most people will be the AT

The more interesting watch is probably the Diver. But if you haven't seen the green in person - I would before you buy.

But...
    This tongue in cheek advice is actually not ridiculous. They are very different watches. So the question should be which would you like FIRST?

George_geo likes this.
  4. Yehoshua Mar 20, 2023

I've had both. I now have only the Aqua Terra. It's handsome, has no helium escape valve, solid hands. The only thing I really miss of the diver professional 300, is the great lume. Especially in dim lighting.

George_geo likes this.
  5. Aroxx Sets his watch Mar 20, 2023

I think the diver is more exciting but the AT is a more versatile everyday watch. Maybe a little more “appropriate” for dressy occasions but really nobody else cares what you’re wearing. Personally, if I could only have one I’d go for the the SMP because it’s more fun to look at and the bezel is useful. I’m a bracelet guy so I’d wear it with a suit like James Bond and not care.

6. Monaco Bavaria Mar 20, 2023

AT

IMHO looks more traditional (for Omega).

George_geo and ErichPryde like this.
  7. ErichPryde Mar 20, 2023

If I had to choose between one of these I would choose a Blue dial AT or a green dial SMP or a black dial SMH.

If I have a point, it is that you must make a decision for what watch you are going to purchase and wear for yourself--- you cannot go wrong with any of the choices you have listed!
    although some people may purchase these watches as if they are casual trinkets most of us probably do not.

But if you CAN afford 2, get a black dial SMP and Blue dial AT. ;) love the AT classic styling.

Edited Mar 20, 2023
    George_geo and Turpinr like this.
  8. Mac_to_ten Mar 20, 2023

Can’t speak for the AT, but I had the exact same conundrum: black or green SMP (there’s a separate thread from January if you want to search it). My initial thought was that black is a safer, more wearable choice (goes with everything etc). In the end, I went with the green. It’s a really versatile shade and work in all lights. I got it on bracelet and with the green rubber strap. I find the bracelet works best in formal settings and the rubber the other 95% of the time. I’ve got numerous comments from passer-by’s about how striking it is - including from two separate black SMP owners. I recommend trying one on - as you don’t see too many of them out in the wild yet.

9. RI Omega Fan Mar 20, 2023

I had a blue Aqua Terra 38 for nine months, but it was waaaay too shiny and dressy for me. Plus, the lume on the AT minute hand is absolutely ridiculous. If the lumed arrowhead on that long minute hand is right over, or anywhere near, an hour marker you cannot tell where it is. All you can really see at night to tell the time is the hour hand and hour markers. It drove me nuts. Essentially it becomes a Meistersinger after dark. Why they don’t lume the entire minute hand on the AT is beyond me. So damn frustrating…:mad:

If you don’t care about lume and/or you happen to like dress(y) watches, please disregard the previous paragraph. As someone mentioned earlier, it’s all about your lifestyle. I’m just more a casual tool watch kinda guy.

As beautiful as it was (and it certainly was), I found myself looking for excuses to wear the Aqua Terra and couldn’t get it off fast enough when I got home. The bloom was off the rose quickly. I traded it in on a white dial SMP 300M, and I still love it! I obviously lost my shirt financially on this deal but I have zero regrets. I now pretty much just rock back and forth between the 300M and my Speedmaster :thumbsup:

Edited Mar 20, 2023
    George_geo, DougPhx and Aroxx like this.
  10. hen Mar 21, 2023

Do you have any other watches? Witch will complement your collection best?

Do you have thin or thick wrists? The seamaster is bigger than the AT.

Have you tried them on?

I have a 2254, witch is a slim watch, so maybe I would go for the AT over the Seamaster just because of the size.

George_geo likes this.
  11. stonestone Mar 21, 2023

I own the green SMP 300 and I now struggle to find a reason to wear any of my other watches.

IMG_8810.JPG
    arcampado, George_geo, YY77 and 5 others like this.
  12. Yehoshua Mar 21, 2023

Now THAT specifically, well nothing can win over that, to my way of thinking. Though I've yet to see it where I live.

13. foxtrot Mar 21, 2023

I own both in different colors... nk3wAQ.jpg These last months I am more in love with the Nekton, with a minimum margin. Something is for sure in the summer with outdoor activities, the SM300p...and maybe in the city with more social indoor situations...maybe the AQ. I would insist in going blue with the AQ.

George_geo and Tekashi_145.022 like this.
  14. Annapolis Mar 21, 2023

I’ve had both—three different ATs in various sizes and colors, and one of the SMPs (newest version) in blue, which I wore both on the (problematic) bracelet and the oem blue strap.

As others have said, it really just depends on your lifestyle and how much it matters to you whether your watch plays by the ‘rules’ of that lifestyle. The AT is unquestionably more versatile as it can swing between formal and casual easily—that’s sort of what it’s designed for. The SMP is a ‘fun’ sports watch that some would say looks goofily out of place with business attire, especially on a rubber strap. But others wouldn’t care or even notice. The sneakers-with-a-suit look is in.

FWIW, I really like the dial of the SMP but got kinda tired of it as an everyday. It’s just… a lot. Sort of cartoonish (in my very flawed opinion!) after a while. If I had several Omegas, I’d definitely want one in the rotation as a funky fun option, but as an everyday watch, not for me.

George_geo likes this.
  15. SC1 Mar 21, 2023

AT for days - unless you're comfy with a hacksaw (to remove "The Wart" aka the HEV off the 300 SMP).

16. jjen Mar 21, 2023

SMP wears a little large for me. I would really like to try on a red AT

George_geo likes this.
  17. DougPhx Mar 22, 2023

Quick edit—I just re-read your post and realized the bracelets are a non issue since you don’t wear them. Sorry for all the bracelet feedback! I made the choice you are considering and it was the SMP 300 all the way for me. Works with everything except dress clothes IMO, so I just slap on a thinner dress watch when needed or no watch at all.

I bought a black SMP300 on bracelet and a blue AT on bracelet. As the weeks then months went by I found myself wearing the SMP 300 much more. Legibility is supreme for my aging eyes, timer is very convenient on walks, kitchen, etc.

The comfort of the smp 300 bracelet was the real winner for me due to the considerable range of micro adjustment available as your wrist swells and shrinks throughout the day. Never uncomfortable.

The AT bracelet I just could never get right. I tried every combo of 1/2 links, correct centering, and never could find the sweet spot for all day comfort. Over time this really mattered, a watch needs to be comfortable and feel good on the wrist! Also at 13.2mm thick the dimensions were not far off from the 300 at 13.6 so even though the AT has a dressy appearance and a beautiful dial I prefer a thinner watch for wearing under cuffs. So I ended up selling the AT.

I really wanted to go with blue on the smp 300…but went with the black for versatility and a more toned down look. The ceramic is kind of shiny/blingy, and when combined with their beautiful blue…it was just too much for me. The black takes it down a notch IMO. Color preference is so subjective though…wear the color you like and what works for your lifestyle.

I just try to follow one rule…if I’m working hard to convince myself on a choice…it’s probably not the right choice for me. When you know…you know! I’ve learned to trust my gut/instincts more and not let the overthinking rabbit hole get in the way. :)

Edited Mar 22, 2023
    George_geo, JK4 and RI Omega Fan like this.
  18. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 22, 2023

George_geo likes this.
  19. DougPhx Mar 22, 2023

Meh. Honestly I don’t even notice it or pay attention to it when looking at the dial. I’ve come to appreciate it as uniquely Omega, a signature of the reference. I do prefer the flatter HEV from the prior generation vs. the peanut butter cup but….still a nothing burger that fades into the background for me. Also the laser is just too convenient to give up.
    1845172A-28C9-496F-A931-C837234C3832.jpeg

hen, George_geo, SC1 and 3 others like this.
  20. SC1 Mar 22, 2023

Love the laser... just wish The Wart pulled out and revealed either a cigarette lighter or a cork pull to a very small flask.

drjenkins and DougPhx like this.