Forums Latest Members

Oyster Perpetual 39mm or Aqua Terra 41mm?

1. Slowpoker Sep 30, 2019

Hi everyone!

I've recently been wanting to purchase a new daily wearing after having sold off my SM300. I was looking for a versatile timepiece that could be used in any situation without looking out of place.
    Thus after some research and thinking I've come up with two timepieces, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm in white and the Aqua Terra 41mm in white. I can't seem to seriously decide over which would be better to have and thought others could lend their honest opinions about each of the watches?

Thank you for any and all opinions!

Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-39-ref-114300-White-Dial-Baselworld-2018-4.jpg
    Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-White_170323003.jpg

TwinPeaks likes this.
  2. Bimmerman77 Sep 30, 2019

I have both, but my AT is on the dark gray rubber strap. Honestly it’s a toss up. I wear my AT more, but still love the OP. I did have issues with my AT which I bought new. Hands came loose after about 3 months and Omega had to fix it. But I think the Omega is more versatile.

Slowpoker likes this.
  3. flw history nerd Sep 30, 2019

Pretty much a toss up, but if versatility is the criterion, I'd have to give a slight edge to the OP due to the AT's orange second hand.

Slowpoker likes this.
  4. Omega-Q Sep 30, 2019

They are both beautiful watches, but I agree with @flw . The edge goes to OP if versatility is the concern. The orange second hands give the AT a more "sporty" appearance. Question though...are you looking at that specific AT on the leather band...or on bracelet? Just curious...

Slowpoker likes this.
  5. flw history nerd Sep 30, 2019

Good question. The strap choice makes a difference as well.

Slowpoker likes this.
  6. Slowpoker Sep 30, 2019

My apologies for not clarifying. I'm open to either leather, rubber or bracelet. To clarify versatility is indeed the key trait I'm looking for.

Sporty isn't an issue, but whichever I choose has to work with a suit and still be just as good casually.

Anyone know if you can switch the OP's bracelet out for leather or rubber?

7. flw history nerd Sep 30, 2019

Why not just leave it on the bracelet and wear a leather or rubber suit? :D

Edit:
    In all seriousness though, Rolex tends to be a lot more persnickety than Omega when it comes to keeping the watches they sell on the OEM bracelets or straps they came on. I'm sure you can find something suitable in either leather or rubber, but I'm not certain where to look.

Edited Sep 30, 2019
    Bimmerman77 and Slowpoker like this.
  8. watch72 Sep 30, 2019

Both are very nice watches but I would lean more on the OP. It is smaller and will go well for more formal occasions, and without the date making it even a more classic wristwatch for all occasions.

Slowpoker likes this.
  9. Slowpoker Sep 30, 2019

I'm confident, just not confident enough to strut around in a rubber suit; seriously wearing one must be super uncomfortable!

I was thinking to go for the Oysterflex strap or a Rolex leather strap. Truth be told bracelets aren't my favourite, although if I had to wear any bracelet it would be a Rolex bracelet.

Thank you all for your opinions so far, I'm also leaning more towards the OP but I've just realised they sell it in black so that's also something to consider..
    Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-39-black-4.jpg

Nobel Prize likes this.
  10. flw history nerd Sep 30, 2019

You could have all the ladies swooning ...
    8c6424271bb0ffc20f00e76733bfa11a.gif

Does Rolex make leather straps that can be purchased separately or retrofitted? If so, I had no idea.

Slowpoker likes this.
  11. MCG555 Sep 30, 2019

Personally - though very nice - the OP is a bit on the boring side! On the other side I love the Omega lugs. Also the dial looks more modern, but still classic. Go for the Seamaster ! ;)

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  12. Martin_J_N Sep 30, 2019

If both watches are on a bracelet the OP has a totally brushed finish apart from the edges, whereas I believe that the AT has polished centre links, so the OP would work well as a weekend sport watch whereas the AT might be a touch too smart, on the other hand the OP has less wrist strap options than the AT as there are leather, rubber and metal for the Omega, if you can run to having the leather and the rubber straps then you have a great set-up for work and weekends.

It is an incredibly difficult call as both watches are excellent, good luck making your choice

Slowpoker likes this.
  13. larryganz The cable guy Sep 30, 2019

BOTH

kip595, Bimmerman77 and flw like this.
  14. Slowpoker Sep 30, 2019

Budget's kinda limited to one.... :(
    15698705473225700147355834440769.jpg

Edited Sep 30, 2019
    kip595, Bimmerman77 and larryganz like this.
  15. larryganz The cable guy Sep 30, 2019

Then new black dial Rolex, and later pick up a used Omega at a good price if you still want/need it - preferably a Speedmaster Pro with heasalite crystal if you don't have one yet.

felixm and Slowpoker like this.
  16. AntonisCy Sep 30, 2019

Omega on the bracelet.

Slowpoker likes this.
  17. WatchShopping Sep 30, 2019

I think that if you're going for a versatile look the OP would be the one to choose. Like others have said, the particular AT shown in the picture looks a little more sporty due to the pop of orange. I think this one is a little more subtle: 220.10.38.20.02.001.

Slowpoker likes this.
  18. Slowpoker Sep 30, 2019

I'm personally leaning more towards the OP now. I definitely agree about the AT's orange seconds hand, it does make it look more sporty.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I think the 38mm AT @WatchShopping recommended is a better comparison indeed.
    SOJUStil.jpg

19. Stufflers Mom Sep 30, 2019

I'd be adding a little more money and go for the DJ41 blue dial.

Donfiore and Slowpoker like this.
  20. Slowpoker Sep 30, 2019

Ah, I was thinking about getting the DJ41 but to be honest, I can't stand the cyclops date window or any Arabic numerals on the dial; hence why I dismissed the submariner, DJ's and explorers.

My only option is thus the OP from the current Rolex line-up as it's the most basic Rolex; I just want a dependable and versatile timepiece that'll give me as much happiness years from now as it did when I bought it.

Edited Oct 1, 2019