Forums Latest Members

Fake Speedmaster from Reputable Seller?

1. DVDA Oct 30, 2019

I bought a new Omega Speedmaster from a well known seller but I have my suspicions it might be fake. Before confronting seller (they would accept the return based on reputation) I wanted to get your thoughts as I am not knowledgable with Omega. In the photos I included my Broad Arrow to compare. One flag is the serial numbers are in different directions between Moonwatch and Broad Arrow. Other is that the serial etching is also different style. Also the bracelet seems less substantial. Lastly the chronograph movement on Moonwatch which cant be pictured seems more ticky then sweepy like it is on Broad Arrow but that could be intentional.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://imgur.com/a/vrpsZhB more pics

Edited Oct 30, 2019
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2019

Why would you compare two very different watches?
    Different movements
    Different models
    Different size and layout

3. Evitzee Oct 30, 2019

Doesn't raise any suspicions for me. And its unlikely a 'well known' seller is going to sell you a fake Speedmaster that comes with all the accessories incl the suitcase box, Warranty card and Pictogram card. If you don't feel comfortable about it then send it back and get a refund, I see nothing to be gained by 'confronting' the seller and accusing him of selling you a fake watch unless you are 100% sure its a fake. Since you admit you aren't knowledgeable about Omega I don't see how you can make that call.

Edited Oct 30, 2019
  4. Meme-Dweller Oct 30, 2019

It's clearly genuine. The fakesters haven't released a Speedmaster Professional that is convincing. Yet.

Badwolf, oddboy, Benbradstock and 2 others like this.
  5. DVDA Oct 30, 2019

Really? After all these years?

6. Dan S Oct 30, 2019

Maybe the OP should try comparing it to a legitimate example of the same reference. There might even be some photos on the internet. :rolleyes:

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2019

The operable word is convincing, but yes of course you have to to know what you are looking at.

8. DVDA Oct 30, 2019

I am not an expert, hence the post. And I know Broad arrow and Speedmaster are different. But the feel of the Speedmaster is what threw me. This and the fact that I would think Omega would put serial numbers in same direction across all models.

9. Evitzee Oct 30, 2019

The serial number on your new watch is oriented like all of my personal seven examples (just checked).....maybe your Broad Arrow is a fake, or just a weird example in Omega's past production. If you aren't familiar with the Speedmaster I don't see how you can make a judgement as to whether it feels real or not.

10. Dan S Oct 30, 2019

You don't need to be an expert to check the direction of the serial number on other examples of the same Speedmaster Pro reference. Have you done that? Or did you just want someone else to do the work for you?

Update ... your strategy worked.

11. Evitzee Oct 30, 2019

Glad I could help do the work for him!

I'll just make a comment and then drop it. But there are lot of newbies that want to get a watch at a good price (no problem with that), so they go online and buy it, and then fret that they got screwed into buying a fake watch. Bottom line, if you are brand new at this it might be a good idea to buy at retail so you know you are getting an authentic watch and you can sleep well at night. As you get more involved and read, and study the market you will be more comfortable buying off the internet. Personally I've never been scammed, but I do my homework. It takes time to develop the knowledge of what to look for, to sniff out the hinky watches or dealers, it doesn't come overnight.

To the OP, there is nothing in your photos to indicate your watch is anything but genuine. Perhaps you don't like the feel of it and that is a legitimate feeling, all watches have a particular feel. A coaxial Broad Arrow will not feel the same as the classic Speedmaster, it just won't. If it doesn't sing to you return it and move on.

Edited Oct 30, 2019
    Socks, DaveK, JanV and 1 other person like this.
  12. Walrus Oct 30, 2019

Yeah it looks good although whith my level of knowledge I couldn’t say the hands are but that’s relatively easy to compare with a little more digging. It’s a nice looking moon watch I would be happy with, especially at a good price. Good luck it’s your decision in the end.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 31, 2019

Yeah, but that's hard. I encourage anyone looking for a vintage speedy to reconsider. Fakes abound. Buy a Tudor instead. Pease. They're far less dangerous, and lovely watches..

10708619_xxl_v1552655224350.jpg

14. mzinski Oct 31, 2019

Tudors are lovely watches, agree with you there. But buying a Tudor because it’s less dangerous...I wholeheartedly disagree. Given they used modified ETA movements until recently you should be very careful in purchasing Tudors. In fact I’d go so far as to say they’re more risky than vintage Rolex. As far as I know the 1570 was never cloned like ETA’s.
    This is to say, do your homework on all watches - it’s risky out there.

JanV likes this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 31, 2019

Me too.

tyrantlizardrex and STANDY like this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 31, 2019

The reason your rather agricultural 1861 movement looks more ticky (good word) than your rather more up market 3313 movement used in your BA is that it has a lower beat rate. If you compare your new Speedy to a quartz watch it will look different too for the same reason. The 1861 makes 6 movements a second, the 3313 8ps. You’d hate the 321, that is slower still at 5ps.

A quick aside: See the 4 little notches between the second marks on the outer chrono second scale? Those line up perfectly with the second hand at every tick on a 321 movement Speedy, they only line up once a second with the 1861 Moonwatch. For the Broad arrow watches, they used 3 sub notches between the seconds which means with the 8 ticks per second it lines up perfectly for every tick, half on and half off the marks. The Moonwatch has been an imperfect timing device since 1969 for this reason, try to time a split second event and the chrono second hand will be hovering between sub marks. They fix this on the recent LE 1861 models with 2 ticks between by the way. Take a look.

When new, the Broad Arrow Speedmasters sold for much higher prices than the Moonwatch, rather like the ‘57 and Racing versions do now. The bracelet while superficially similar is different to that fitted to the MW with a different part number.

Edited Oct 31, 2019
    MCC and Dedalus05 like this.
  17. MCC Oct 31, 2019

Nowadays it is impossible to tell good fakes from the originals unless:

1) You know what you are doing
    2) You have the watch in your hand.

I have seen fakes (albeit not this model) that would fool anyone that is not very knowledgeable about that particular model.

I don't know why the OP is concerned but if you are buying from a reputable and knowledgeable source then I believe the risk is low. The main danger is that they themselves have been fooled.

18. percymon Oct 31, 2019

Perhaps doesn't apply to all fakes, but some of those available currently do not have fully functioning sub dials (the 6 oclock sub dial often follows the main dial hour hand)

time flies likes this.
  19. Socks Oct 31, 2019

Every Newbie 'help fake' post has a silver lining! That's really interesting!!

padders likes this.
  20. Skipper_S Oct 31, 2019

@DVDA

Just visit your local OP's Service department to check if it is genuine or not! So simple :)