F1 2021

Ok that was the most egregious defending I’ve ever seen. I’ve never seen anyone defend past the track edge.

There is no excuse. How it was deemed no action to be taken without full review of the data and video is beyond me.

Review granted. Looks like a slam dunk?
So far it's a review of the decision not to review the incident. So actually reviewing the incident may or may not come later. Or not. Perhaps.

I'm in the US so I cannot see that website.
Just an article about Nico not being pleased when Lewis ran him off the track at Austin.
CB45F17E-1CA7-4FA2-8A9C-5A7249B20136.jpeg

Just an article about Nico not being pleased when Lewis ran him off the track at Austin.
Difference being that was a first lap first turn incident on a wet track.

as @texasmade stated that was first lap in the wet, also notice Lewis was not 3 car widths off of the track...

Notice you can see Max in a steady state turn then open the steering up before he went off track. He had the grip to stay on track. You can then see him tighten back up the steering when he has increased speed on a dirty part of the track as he turns back in while on the throttle. His excuse of no grip is utter bollocks.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-battle-in-brazil.3ghMXVIaYdjY6WDID1QFte.html

I can see why unfortunately as they do not want to appear to be influencing the championship.

it was a bad call in the race, but MB had to appeal once it was known that not all data was reviewed. If anyone thinks RB wouldn’t have done the exact same thing and then complain all over the media about how unfair it was.
Edited:

Given the circumstances, I think any team would have done the same.

So you youngsters just starting in tin-tops, F-Vee, FFord don't get round to thinking you can push your opponents off the track with impunity. A couple of bad crashes with people doing that and the FIA, SCCA, RAC, etc will have to respond by doing something about it.

P1000571m.JPG

(I joined SCCA but there wasn't much activity in NJ in the '70s so I learned to fly instead.)

Max is still short of about 18pts given what Lewis did to him without consequence at Silverstone.

Instead of applying time penalty on vastly superior cars, the FIA should start applying points or places penalties.
+2 places on the race result each time you force someone off track. +5 if you forced him to retire. All drivers on the grid will start to think twice before not giving enough space.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
You think RB would not have made 5 posts called everyone biased and thrown a fit?

Max is still short of about 18pts given what Lewis did to him without consequence at Silverstone.

Instead of applying time penalty on vastly superior cars, the FIA should start applying points or places penalties.
+2 places on the race result each time you force someone off track. +5 if you forced him to retire. All drivers on the grid will start to think twice before not giving enough space.

no because racing incidents.
Also every driver I know doesn’t fault Lewis for Silverstone. Lewis held his ground within the rules.

Max the lap before double defended and got called out for the 6th time or so this season. Then he claimed he understeered 4 car widths off of the track to hold the position which was BS.

Lewis has not once been called out for double defending as he is not an entitled spoiled brat.

Also every driver I know doesn’t fault Lewis for Silverstone. Lewis held his ground within the rules.
Pirro and all stewards at Silverstone disagree..
Car 44 was on a line that did not reach the apex of the corner, with room available to the inside. When Car 33 turned into the corner, Car 44 did not avoid contact and the left front of Car 44 contacted the right rear of Car 33. Car 44 is judged predominantly at fault.

Lewis has a very long list of forcing people off-track, colliding to others while he had way sufficient space on the inside, forcing an overtake where the space was never there, overtaking off track... You can see him doing that at Silverstone, Barhein, Monaco, Suzuka, Montreal, Austin, Singapore, Valencia, Spa... The list goes on. You can see him behaving like this on nearly any track he scored a win.

And regarding double defending...
The former world champion was on the receiving end of a barrage of criticism about the way he moved across the track several times at Sepang as he tried to break the tow for the following Renault driver.

And although he was given a black and white warning flag for unsportsmanlike behaviour at the time

Max and Lewis are on par regarding talent and dirty racing

I would be interested as to how this change of whats acceptable defending is explained to drivers. You can defend over track limits if your competitor does not crash, or there is no physical barrier? Obviously Max is at an advantage in that any crash that puts them both out of the race is to his benefit in the championship battle.

Pirro and all stewards at Silverstone disagree..

Lewis has a very long list of forcing people off-track, colliding to others while he had way sufficient space on the inside, forcing an overtake where the space was never there, overtaking off track... You can see him doing that at Silverstone, Barhein, Monaco, Suzuka, Montreal, Austin, Singapore, Valencia, Spa... The list goes on. You can see him behaving like this on nearly any track he scored a win.

And regarding double defending...

Max and Lewis are on par regarding talent and dirty racing
Holding a line and driving 4 car widths off track to defend are not the same.

as for driving people of track. How many crashes did max cause 3 and 4 years ago?