Forums Latest Members
  1. vbrad26 Dec 16, 2020

Was going to post the updated driver line up as of this morning and figured I may as well go ahead and start a new thread.

So as of right now here is where we stand:

Mercedes:
    Bottas
    TBD

Ferrari:
    Leclerc
    Sainz

Red Bull:
    Verstappen
    TBD

McLaren:
    Ricciardo
    Norris

Renault (Alpine):
    Alonso
    Ocon

Aston Martin:
    Stroll
    Vettel

Alfa Romeo:
    Raikkonen
    Giovinazzi

Alpha Tauri:
    Gasly
    Tsunoda

HAAS:
    Mazepin
    Schumacher

Williams:
    Russell
    Latifi

So really just 2 "empty seats left" But I am sure the will be filled by the current drivers (Hamilton and Albon)

2. haqq777 Dec 16, 2020

Good post. I was wondering about it just the other day.

Hamilton will get the seat for sure. I can't imagine otherwise. Also hard to believe that until a few days ago it was Bottas whose seat was in jeopardy and who was rumored to swap with Russell given Russell's performance in Mercedes in Hamilton's absence.

I also really think Perez has a good shot at replacing Albon at Red Bull, rumor mills churning and lots of behind the scene stuff going on and his win apparently left an impact with a lot of higher ups (of course this is all from me reading up articles, absolutely zero direct insider info from me lol).

Also I remember Guenther saying something along the lines of looking into Mazepin clarifications for behavior with objectivity (or something along the lines). But yeah Nikita seems to be confirmed for HAAS even after that PR fiasco. I haven't watched him drive so will reserve judgement. Also looking forward to Mick simply because of the legacy factor. Will be great to have a Schumacher on the starting grid.

Kind of sad to see Magnussen and Grosjean leave but name of the game and young ones need the spots. Plus they had their chances I guess. I'm just glad Grosjean came out unhurt after that accident and would be great to see him do a farewell run in F1 car like Totto promised.

Also looking forward to seeing Tsunoda with Gasly in Alpha Tauri. Kvyat was very unimpressive to me for some reason.

Ricciardo will be one to look out for IMO. And I'll also keep an eye out for Vettel, I'm sure he's hungry. Not sure how Racing Point (by then Aston Martin) will be perfomance wise so seems like a step down. Anything will be better than what he has been through with Ferrari recently I think.

Who is your favorite driver and team?

3. vbrad26 Dec 16, 2020

I don't necessarily have a favorite team OR driver.
    Being American, I would love to see HAAS be more competitive.
    But there are so many talented and likable drivers that I'm just happy to see some good racing from them.
    I have always liked Vettel though...

haqq777 likes this.
  4. texasmade Dec 16, 2020

I can't imagine RB keeping Albon again. Especially if RB thinks they have a championship contending car. They can't waste the opportunity with Albon battling midfield teams when he needs to be providing support for Max.

Scarecrow Boat and vbrad26 like this.
  5. MRC Dec 16, 2020

SouthernScot, haqq777 and vbrad26 like this.
  6. vbrad26 Dec 16, 2020

So who goes in Albon's place?
    Hulkenberg? Perez?
    I think I saw in the last few days that Perez to RB was likely being finalized.
    But I never know what is just speculation...

7. texasmade Dec 16, 2020

I guess based on rumors, Perez is the best choice with Albon serving as the reserve driver. I'm sure RB is going to make it clear that team orders dictate he makes way for Max and to not race him like he did with Ocon. RB could get away with Albon doing nothing most races this season since Ferrari was terrible and the 3rd best car was miles away from them.

8. haqq777 Dec 16, 2020

Speaking of Hulkenberg, he did some good racing when Perez was out. I'm surprised I haven't heard about him in the driver chatter.

JimJupiter likes this.
  9. vbrad26 Dec 17, 2020

There was some chatter a while ago but it sort of went quiet...

10. alefar Dec 17, 2020

Yeah I don't think Hulkenberg would have a chance to come back next year...

11. texasmade Dec 17, 2020

Given the choice between Hulkenberg or Perez, I can see why teams would go with Perez. Better race results and more $ backing him.

12. haqq777 Dec 17, 2020

Yep. But it certainly helps that Hulkenberg didn't have a permanent seat for 2020 and Perez is coming off as # 1 driver for Racing Point with a P1 finish not too long ago. Perez and Hulkenberg have not been considerably far apart performance wise in last few years and if I remember correctly, Hulkenberg has been ahead in drivers rankings a few years as well (including one time when they both were team members at Force India Mercedes). He also performed when he drove as a temp for Racing Point. Just me but I find Hulk to be a better driver. I do agree about the sponsors and money backing Perez.

Edit:
    Was Force India Mercedes back when they raced together.

Edited Dec 17, 2020
  13. haqq777 Dec 17, 2020

14. texasmade Dec 17, 2020

15. bluebarchetta Dec 17, 2020

I’d argue that the F rating of Albon is unfair. RBR has set the cars up to perform in a way that Max likes. As it should be, he’s probably the most talented driver in F1. However, in listening to interviews with Horner, Max enjoys the car very loose. And he’s skilled and fast driving the car that way. It is very possible this is why RBR-Max has been successful, as loose cars on the edge can also be quite fast.

If Albon (and possibly Gassly before him) are better in a more neutral setup, it’s likely this is part of the reason they have been less effective than Max. The car might just take a skill level that they don’t have. Gassly’s success at AT, and them likely setting the car up more to his liking as their #1, might also demonstrate this.

I also think the characteristics of the car, are part of the reason they have been slow to decide on a lineup for next year. Can Perez make the car work, does he like a loose car? Or would Albon’s experience allow him to continue to grow into the car, like he seems to have done toward the end of the year.

So, I’d grade Albon around a C. Certainly he hasn’t set the world on fire, but I think it might be a very difficult car to drive fast. Russell jumping into the Mercedes, and performing as well as he did, show both his skill level, but also a car that is relatively easier to go fast in vs. the RBR.

Socks, MaiLollo and MRC like this.
  16. arturo7 Dec 17, 2020

Another ranking. This one from formula1.com

f1.jpg
  17. Evitzee Dec 17, 2020

What's Vettel's motivation and what does he expect to achieve? Hate to see former top drivers slide down and join second or third tier teams. It never works out and their legacies are dinged.

Socks likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 17, 2020

Albon’s gone and Checo’s in at RB. Will be official shortly.

19. 8100_RPM Dec 17, 2020

I can’t say that I’m surprised. I guess we’ll see if Albon & Gasly were really that bad or if the RB is too geared toward Max for anyone else to drive well.

20. arturo7 Dec 17, 2020

That is good news.