Forums Latest Members
  1. texasmade Dec 17, 2020

I really think Albon was that bad. I never expected him to be close to Max or the Mercedes but driving the RB should mean he’s not stuck behind mid field teams.

2. 8100_RPM Dec 18, 2020

I agree. Realistically, Albon should have finished no lower than fourth place.

However, Albon still appeared to do better than Gasly did in the RB. He actually passed cars whereas Gasly, in 2019, seemed to be perpetually stuck behind other cars.

3. Speed1283 Dec 18, 2020

I think Perez 'deserves' the seat more and would be a solid driver for the team, but if Redbull do replace Alvin with him, are they effectively killing of their young driver programme? Gasly and Kvyatt both demoted back into Toro Rosso, if Albon were to go too, what does it say about their scheme? That's something they might be thinking about.

I do think Perez should get the seat though.

vbrad26 likes this.
  4. Speed1283 Dec 18, 2020

Just saw this after I posted my previous post. Good news.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 18, 2020

It looks like RB has no drivers in the pipeline right now. So...

look albons stuck in his head, gasley is decent but no star. They have no one in F2 right now so Max and Checko it is although I’d rather see checko at McLaren or someone else’s that could use the money he brings.

haqq777 likes this.
  6. texasmade Dec 18, 2020

The program did churn out Seb, Max, Daniel, and Carlos. That’s a pretty impressive list. They were eventually going to hit a dry spell and looks like they’re in one now.

Foo2rama, vbrad26 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  7. vbrad26 Dec 18, 2020

He wants to continue doing what he loves? Lol I don't know.
    As for his move, as of this past season, he will actually be sliding up hah.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  8. bluebarchetta Dec 18, 2020

Tsunoda up to AT is actually one of their drivers too, so not sure it’s a total dry spell yet. He went F4 to F1 in 4 years. I agree that Gassly and Albon haven’t met expectations at RBR. The question might be, are they rushing the drivers development, and showing less patience than needed. A Max doesn’t come along often, and drivers develop along their own timelines. Technically, they gave up on Carlos also. Perez in the car might not necessarily tell them Gassly and Albon are bad, it might just tell them the car needs someone with more experience. That said, I do like Perez and think it’s the right move, at least for the short term.

9. texasmade Dec 18, 2020

I definitely think Gasly and Albon were promoted too early. Another year or two developing for each before being promoted would've greatly helped them.

10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Dec 18, 2020

11. haqq777 Dec 18, 2020

What is the RBR power unit situation after 2021 when Honda pulls out like they have said? Any chance they would go back to Renault as supplier for their engines like before? Just wondering about possible scenarios.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 18, 2020

Hahahah

that bridge is burned, and then they dumped radioactive waste on it, then discovered it’s a portal to hell. So I doubt it will ever be rebuilt, I don’t think Renault would make a deal with a devil even if they have no engine buyers... there is no way Merc will give an engine to an Adrian Newey designed car... so Ferrari is my guess.

haqq777 likes this.
  13. texasmade Dec 18, 2020

Supposedly they're going to buy Honda's IP and continue using the Honda developed PU.

vbrad26 and haqq777 like this.
  14. vbrad26 Dec 18, 2020

Yeah that was the last I heard.
    I can't remember if I posted it somewhere in the old thread but this was the tidbit I saw:

"Missed Apex understands that Horner and Marko are in Austria to meet with Mateschitz. the aim of the meeting is to get a sign off on the finance to buy the Honda engine IP.
    Talk of it being badged as Mugen who are already based in Milton Keynes."

Not sure what came of that since that was back in October. But I never researched it either...

Foo2rama and haqq777 like this.
  15. arturo7 Dec 18, 2020

The addition of Perez to the Red Bull team adds resources that could be used to pursue the Honda IP/Mugen option.

Apparently, Cosworth may be in the picture as well.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 18, 2020

Sky said it on air as fact. F1.com ran a story about the other mfg’s having concerns.

vbrad26 likes this.
  17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 18, 2020

Misread Mugen as Morgan :thumbsup:.

18. MRC Dec 18, 2020

Paul Morgan? Good choice were it not for the unfortunate incident with the Sea Fury.

How about some thread convergence -- Rickie Tarr's Speedy was mentioned in https://omegaforums.net/threads/favorite-movie-featuring-a-speedmaster.31224/page-2#post-1367531 so I pulled out that "Tinker, Taylor" DVD tonight, and we have Peter Guillam's Morgan used to convey George Smiley to Oliver Lacon. Engine noise seems to be both 4-cyl and V-8 on different occasions, but hey, that's film making.

19. simonsays Dec 18, 2020

So what are the predictions on where Perez is compared to Max.
    Checo has experience but I don’t rate him as a great driver. I though Ocon had him beat at Racing Point, and it was only his money that kept him in the car.
    I think it could be a difficult season for him.

20. worldwidewes Dec 18, 2020

I'm super happy for Checo. Hopefully he can get some wins under his belt in 2021 with a championship-contending car. And hopefully the title fight is a lot closer.

Apa likes this.