Eterna Matic

Posts
1,821
Likes
7,263
Adding a bit of history to the thread...This is a triple signed Eterna-matic (Birks-Eterna-Expo67) that will turn 55 this year!
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
Yeah I get why the manual wound versions dont have the 5-ball logo on the dial, crown etc since its not an (auto)matic.

But why no emblem on the caseback like all other Kontikis?
The best explanation I can think of is that the Kontiki ship bears the 5 ball sail.
Edited:
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
This one doesn't give a shizzle about some light drizzle. Late 1970s RQ with screw down crown and factory rated at 200m WR.
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784


This new arrival (serial says 1958) marks the third Eterna-Matic chronometer in my collection. I suppose it now qualifies as a sub-collection 😁
 
Posts
1,885
Likes
3,816
This new arrival (serial says 1958) marks the third Eterna-Matic chronometer in my collection.
🙄 Thanks for showing that. Imo, the shape, weight, and cut of that case is aesthetically near-perfection. And the dial indices do the watch every favour too. Well done, enjoy!
 
Posts
496
Likes
677
I Love that case as well, and the bezel width is perfect unlike many eternas What calibers?
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
Thanks for showing that. Imo, the shape, weight, and cut of that case is aesthetically near-perfection. And the dial indices do the watch every favour too. Well done, enjoy!
Thanks! I fully agree. I have a thing for arrowheads!
I think the hidden crown on this example makes the case even better. I have owned some minty watches in my years of collecting, but I almost don't dare to wear this one. The case retains its factory finish in full glory.
I Love that case as well, and the bezel width is perfect unlike many eternas What calibers?
The steel one has a cal. 1422U, which correctly corresponds to its domed dial.
I don't know about the other two.

I am also still on the lookout for a watch with this case in 18K gold. Let me know if someone's looking to move one, please.
 
Posts
49
Likes
423
Adding a bit of history to the thread...This is a triple signed Eterna-matic (Birks-Eterna-Expo67) that will turn 55 this year!

Expo 67 in Montreal. I was there with my parents and grandparents when I was 15
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
Trying to breathe some more life into this topic.
This one sadly doesn't run, so I'll be shipping it off to a watchmaker soon.
 
Posts
1,885
Likes
3,816
Mafkees, you must live near the fountain of Eterna or something - you score again! It's another beauty. Now, this is another not-Matic according to the dial: what is the distinction in this case? 📖
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
Mafkees, you must live near the fountain of Eterna or something - you score again! It's another beauty. Now, this is another not-Matic according to the dial: what is the distinction in this case? 📖
Haha, thanks 😁
This is from 1945 and non-matic because the movements -matic derives its name from, hadn't been invented yet. Any non -matic can be assumed to be pre 1948 of age, or to have an electronic movement.
 
Posts
2,270
Likes
15,727
Correct, I had one of those early bumper automatics a while back which was a lovely watch 😀
 
Posts
2,270
Likes
15,727
Should also show the case in profile since it was really stunning
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
Correct, I had one of those early bumper automatics a while back which was a lovely watch
You had? This is not selling material! This is 'buy and cherish' material 😉
Lovely hand set, great condition! I had a similar example, but it was lumed and far worse in condition.
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
Wrong crown and the case isn't as sharp as you'd like. See mine for reference.


Amazing dial tho.
 
Posts
4,347
Likes
12,779
Looks like it's early bumper day on the OF. I bought this 1947 example with an 1159H movement and 18k case off of our own @Tony C. a few years ago and had it serviced by our own @ChrisN . It keeps scary accurate time and is easily one of my all time favorites.
 
Posts
813
Likes
2,784
Looks like it's early bumper day on the OF. I bought this 1947 example with an 1159H movement and 18k case off of our own @Tony C. a few years ago and had it serviced by our own @ChrisN . It keeps scary accurate time and is easily one of my all time favorites.
Great stuff. Tony has a knack for selling his best pieces. Or does he? I'm wondering what's up his sleeve still.
 
Posts
4,347
Likes
12,779
Trying to breathe some more life into this topic.
This one sadly doesn't run, so I'll be shipping it off to a watchmaker soon.
That one is a great looking one. I love those lugs. Dibs if you decide to part with it.