Forums Latest Members
  1. woodwkr2 Jul 24, 2014

It's a beautiful watch, rolokr.

Can we get a shot of the crowns? Even amongst correct examples, such as yours, there is some discrepancy about whether the two crowns were originally the identical short ones (as in yours) vs a short and longer crown.

2. rolokr Jul 24, 2014

I'll try to get a side shot of the crowns, they look perfectly original !

3. woodwkr2 Jul 24, 2014

The Tiffany watch has two small crowns, and the AQ auction featured a pair with one long, one short. I've seen these both ways elsewhere as well.

[​IMG]

Diabolik likes this.
  4. georgetownhoya Jul 24, 2014

Definitely woodwkr2. Notice something in the images? There is a little cut-out on the inside of the case for the top-crown (the inner bezel) on all three, but only the top left Polerouter Sub has a cut-out on the bottom crown and it is coincidentally the one with the even crowns. Just something interesting.

I still love this one:

http://romainrea.com/montres/montre-collection-universal-geneve-polerouter-sub-chocolate-1048.html#

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/whats-selling-where-six-great-vintage-sports-watches

5. woodwkr2 Jul 24, 2014

It's tough to see in the image I posted, but all three cases have cut outs for both the top and bottom crowns.

Speaking of the watch on the left, it has an unusual set of hands, which are likely replacements.

6. georgetownhoya Jul 24, 2014

Sorry, I wasn't clear woodwkr. See attached - the red circles show the internal cutouts I am referring to in the photos.

Hard to say on the dauphine hands, too. They definitely could be replacements, but who knows. They definitely gives a 1965 JLC Polaris sort of vibe to it.

Cutouts.jpg
  7. woodwkr2 Jul 24, 2014

You're right. Interesting... that left one also has little teeth visible on the outside edge of the inner bezel, the rack and pinion that allows it to rotate. It's not visible on the other two.

Should be noted that the crystals were removed on all of these watches (likely to prevent glare for the photography). Once the diving crystal was re-installed, the compression ring would be covering all of this so that it would be water tight.

8. georgetownhoya Jul 24, 2014

Definitely, yes woodwkr2. Forgot to mention that these wouldn't be visible when the crystal is on (hence we don't see this difference on most legit 1st-gen Polerouter Subs we see as they have crystals on).

9. Diabolik Jul 25, 2014

dibs me too

I would get it lumed though. looks like mikey mouse did that lume job! there is a chap in england that works wonders on lume, quick turnaround and most excellent workmanship at a very reasonable price.

PM me if you want to know more ...

10. woodwkr2 Jul 25, 2014

No, no, no. That 'mickey mouse' lume on the inner bezel and the tiny lume plots on the dial are all original. Part of the charm.

11. Diabolik Jul 25, 2014

ooppss! show my inadequate knowledge of old universal geneve subs. on second thoughts it is not that bad at all!

12. woodwkr2 Jul 25, 2014

Can't blame you for thinking Mickey Mouse lumed those inner bezels though ;)

13. Bluepoint Jul 25, 2014

Great discussion and great analysis. The thorough analysis done on UG watches and possible fakes has saved me real money and many headaches because I was able to avoid questionable watches (e.g. space compax), conversely the forum has been able to reassure me (primarily Rolex, Heuer, Tudor collector) that when I did purchase first UG Polerouter Sub, it was legit. Invaluable resource.

14. woodwkr2 Jul 25, 2014

Great. Now let's see some pics, please. :)

15. georgetownhoya Jul 25, 2014

I second woodwkr2 on that, Bluepoint!

16. Bluepoint Jul 25, 2014

image.jpg [quote="Bluepoint, post: 167479, m

Here's my Polerouter sub. Love the dials on thes.

GuiltyBoomerang, Severin and ELV web like this.
  17. Bluepoint Jul 25, 2014

Unfortunately my photography skills leave something to be desired. Great watch though - especially for price

18. ping pong patina Jun 22, 2015

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 22, 2015

20. georgetownhoya Jun 22, 2015

Exactly. Some of the sellers peddling these are now saying they aren't original, which is nice.

ELV web likes this.