Forums Latest Members
  1. rafabond Oct 11, 2020

I'm thinking of one of these two Speedmasters, I like them both but I can only buy one, what do you think? which one would you choose?
    F7A20060-F54F-4B53-9063-1BE32AE2D684.jpeg 4432E3F7-2310-4FB2-9A06-21116A2B66B1.jpeg

mmpass likes this.
  2. gbesq Oct 11, 2020

If it were me, I would shop around and look at moon phase models offered by other brands. I’m a big fan of Omegas in general and the Speedmaster in particular, but I think that combining a moon phase complication with a chronograph and tachymeter bezel just makes the dial look too cluttered. For me, the basic hesalite Speedy is the way to go. Here’s my moon phase:
    7EF295E8-799D-4D5D-8377-F0FF1E72B946.jpeg

Foo2rama, MtnMarine, 89-0 and 2 others like this.
  3. vintage hab Oct 11, 2020

Both are beautiful, but I’d choose the brown one. Dresses up nicer than blue.

89-0, mmpass and rafabond like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Oct 11, 2020

Agree, the Sedna gold and steel model would be my pick between the two, with better contrast amongst the features.

gbesq - the JLC Moon model that you showed is a little too bland and bare for my tastes. However, I previously looked at a JLC moonphase once, with meteorite dial (along with day, date, and month), but in the end it just didn't speak to me enough to get it vs the Speedy Tuesday ST1 at the time. However, I do like the JLC meteorite version below a little more than the Speedmaster Moonphase above.
    Jaeger-LeCoultre-Master-Calendar-Meteorite-aBlogtoWatch-6.jpg

Dsloan, Larry S, Foo2rama and 4 others like this.
  5. gbesq Oct 11, 2020

To each his own, of course. If we all liked the exact same thing, it would be a dull world. To me, the simplicity of the JLC’s dial is what makes it attractive and allows one to focus on the beauty of the moon phase complication without distractions.

Larry S, apsm100, blufinz52 and 2 others like this.
  6. larryganz The cable guy Oct 11, 2020

Yeah - too many complications can be distracting. But I think the JLC Moonphase with month-day-date is absolutely gorgeous on the Meteorite dial. I still plan to get one someday.

Larry S, rominvicta and mmpass like this.
  7. Fickle Oct 11, 2020

For the blue maybe also consider the steel cased one rather than the ceramic, seeing it in person I don’t think the blue works as well as the black or grey ceramic cases.

And as per other suggestions, also look at JLC for a moonphase that’s more dressy.

mmpass likes this.
  8. mmpass Oct 11, 2020

Prefer the brown dial. Both nice, but the blue on blue might get old?
    I love the chrono/moonphase/calendar/tachymeter complications on my first major watch purchase! moonphase.jpg

9. rafabond Oct 11, 2020

The JLC is a good watch, but it has to be one of these two Omega, it's from an AD that has left the concession and they come out at a very good price.

Larry S and larryganz like this.
  10. airansun In the shuffling madness Oct 11, 2020

Of the Speedmaster Moonphases, I always thought this one worked best in addressing that problem.

2F485426-4800-426F-AA07-D759B551FDD0.jpeg

As opposed to this, for example

F5295E49-927A-482E-AB0C-E8B8D925E3F5.jpeg

Honestly, neither of the coaxial Speedmaster Moonphases are as appealing, to my eye, as either of these. I like Moonphase watches and I’ve looked at those.

I guess I’m addicted to the original fonts of the subdials, as silly as that sounds.

Bauhaus and lindo like this.
  11. Marsimaxam Oct 11, 2020

Between the two models you presented, esthetically, the gold and steel is more appealing to me.

Now, the other topic on this thread... other moon phase watches to consider, if OP is willing... not willing go with the gold and steel.

The JLC master ultra thin is very nice, but some of my other favorites... and I don't mind a busy dial as I usually associate a perpetual calendar with a moon phase watch... but to each his own.

Another JLC Grande Reverso Calendar Moonphase
    Might be too expensive Patek Philippe 5054
    Breguet Moonphase

jaeger-lecoultre-grande-reverso-calendar-moonphase-rose-gold-watch-q3752520-27619_03f42.jpg pp5054l.jpg fb31136e9990c3b359357c64974a5c8a.jpg

airansun likes this.
  12. Evitzee Oct 11, 2020

The Blue Side of the Moon needs to be seen in person, pictures don't bring out the true colors, especially the vibrancy of the high gloss ceramic dial. And the blue case appears different under outdoor light and indoor artificial light. I acquired one of these in a trade last year, too much blue so I put a GSOTM strap on it. Adds a bit of contrast and the gray strap works well with the silvery printing on the dial and tachy scale, and the silver moon. Still a lot of blue but very wearable. The dial is a killer, it really pops. Some people are now scared of ceramic cases which is an overblown reaction, imo.

Never a great fan of brown-ish dials, reminds me of older times and older men. And I don't like gold pushers on a basically steel watch. A gold bezel and gold dial furniture can work, but Omega likes to put gold pushers on, too. Never liked it.

There are thousands of watches with moon phases, if that is your criteria for the watch decide on what kind of watch you are really looking for; dress, sport, something else.

IMG_9087.JPG
    Edited Oct 11, 2020
    Tekashi_145.022 likes this.
  13. Fickle Oct 11, 2020

Well if it has to be one of those I’d go for the brown dial.

If you saw them in hand side to side, one of them should call out to you more.

14. Flatfoot Oct 11, 2020

Between the two, I’d choose the brown with the Sedna gold. It’s warmer color palette appeals to me more, and I believe it has a more traditional, classic look to my eye.

I also like the layout of these coaxial moonphase speedmasters where the Chrono hand is not blocking the moonphase as much when it is reset to zero.

I’m with Larry and also a fan of the JLC meteorite moonphase watch. For me, I’d lean toward the rose gold case version.
    F1A3A414-C0A3-4D8B-B1D4-F5C29ECF8177.jpeg

EricCsN likes this.
  15. larryganz The cable guy Oct 11, 2020

Still the two-tone steel and gold if it's between those two.

rafabond likes this.
  16. larryganz The cable guy Oct 11, 2020

But is it $12,000 vs $24,000 better?

Flatfoot likes this.
  17. Dsloan Oct 11, 2020

I like the blue better, but don't love either. When I've tried them on, they felt too dressy and loud to be a speedmaster, and too big to be a dress watch. I've been wanting a find a 3575.20 that I could try on in person. Seems like it might hit the mark more for me.

18. Charlemagne1333 Oct 12, 2020

The brown’s dressier, and more adaptable to different situations, IMO

19. Qristian Oct 12, 2020

I like brown more. The blue is just... too blue. And I don´t like ceramic as a material (I don´t have any experience, but I have read threads and seen pictures of shattered watch cases, not Omega though).

20. Bugbait Oct 12, 2020

Depends on your personal taste and priorities (as usual).

I own the blue one. My priorities were:
    1. Had to be an automatic chronograph with date, ceramic and ideally METAS (kept magnetising my other mechanical Omega). I was considering the other xSotM watches at the time.
    2. Already had a brown watch: De Ville Chronoscope with sunburst dial in steel on a brown leather strap.
    3. Moon phase was a bonus.

If a moonphase is your priority then there are many other options out there. I love chronographs and didn't have a ceramic watch in my collection and really wanted to try one out. Like titanium it sits so comfortably on your wrist even in a larger size compared to steel.

The brown is more neutral and matches more readily but I love the blue (daily for over a year now) since it's my favourite colour and different from anything else in my current, small collection. I wore it with a suit all the time when I went into the office, not that I've done that since March.

rafabond likes this.