Did I miss something? - Seamaster 300 165.024 -64 at auction

Hey,

today an auction ended, where I had an eye on. Just as an observer, but not as a buyer. If I would known the result...maybe as a buyer too 😉

Anyway, there was an interesting SM 300 165.024 -64 SN 22992325 for sale at

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0102/lot-93e743f8-1ac0-4edb-8e0f-ac6f00f6e1f0

I know the hands are wrong for this reference, but are seen on the -63. Did I miss anything else that would explain the low hammer price with 2.650 pounds? All in all the watch looks very nice to me.

Does someone here got it?

Best Nico

I don't know how easy it is to find the correct hands. Maybe seeing an issue with the hands can lead potential bidders to be wary of other issues. Don't know.

What I definitely know, is that there was some cheese discount in the price. Cheezus.

I don't know how easy it is to find the correct hands.
It's extremely easy. They are already on the watch..

😬 ups

...so it was a bargain find then

Very nice, this is how we like to find them.
Bargain for sure ::facepalm1::

For a dash 64 watch? Can you tell us more? I know of the 165.024 -63 with that hands for the italian market, but they are found in a very narrow serial range.

I think everyone is falling into the same trap : ‘ooooh nice...shall I bid? Naaaaaa, there will probably be a shitton o bidders...’ ::facepalm1::

insert is broken perhaps wrong? never see this insert in a 165.024 bezel. (perhaps heuer or yema diver), no pic of the movement, no pic of the caseback inside with the Reference. i have never seen this sort of caseback on a 165.024

I think everyone is falling into the same trap : ‘ooooh nice...shall I bid? Naaaaaa, there will probably be a shitton o bidders...’ ::facepalm1::

I was watching that one as well but it's so competitive at the moment I often don't even bother following on the sale day - so your point is very valid haha

Instead today I went and bid on a pocket watch thinking I would be unchallenged and it hammered for six times the estimate, can't win! 😲

insert is broken perhaps wrong? never see this insert in a 165.024 bezel. (perhaps heuer or yema diver), no pic of the movement, no pic of the caseback inside with the Reference. i have never seen this sort of caseback on a 165.024

The caseback looks exactly like the one on my 165.024-63.

I was watching that one as well but it's so competitive at the moment I often don't even bother following on the sale day - so your point is very valid haha

Instead today I went and bid on a pocket watch thinking I would be unchallenged and it hammered for six times the estimate, can't win! 😲

Sounds pretty much like my auction experiences the last few months 🙁

The caseback looks exactly like the one on my 165.024-63.
you are right, in 1963 these are the right casebacks, later they are different

::facepalm1:: now after some minutes searching in the net, i fount this sort of bezel and think that it is ok.

I guess that the damaged bezel detracts somewhat, but it is still a bargain price. Of course, if the hammer price you mention has an added +30% on top it changes the picture.

I guess that the damaged bezel detracts somewhat, but it is still a bargain price. Of course, if the hammer price you mention has an added +30% on top it changes the picture.

From the website : "A buyers premium of 18% is payable by all purchasers and is subject to VAT at the prevailing rate.
Live Internet bids incur an additional 5% plus VAT."

I don't know the VAT rate but if it is 20%, ouch, it may hurt indeed.

Damn, even IF the hands would be wrong, it would have been a bargain.

Do I miss sth or why do I think that even with this 20% on top it would have been a good price?!
I would put this model with this condition in a range about 4-5k?!

From the website : "A buyers premium of 18% is payable by all purchasers and is subject to VAT at the prevailing rate.

I think the VAT will only be applicable to commission and surcharges, not the hammer price itself.

I think the +20% is added to the 18% buyer's premium, not the overall price. So around £3.222/3,384 all in.

That seems like a good price for me, but the bezel would annoy me and would be, what, £750-1000 on top?

OK, I understand now. So it is a bargain...

Maybe not enough SM300s at auctions these days, so it is hard to determine a "market price". Or the hands look strange on this model even if they are right. (me, I don't find them pretty on this ref)

Really good price! The watch is really attractive IMHO. Even the wrist cheese on it is original 😜