Forums Latest Members

Gold square quartz Connie at auction - did I miss something?

1. ewand Mar 21, 2018

I was perusing an auction for some low priced guff, and saw this item - thinking, I'm sure the dial isn't right and I've not been able to find an example online (in the 5 mins before that lot came up) with the same case, dial or bracelet. So probably fake, but if it went for £5 on the auction then I grab it for a laugh.

upload_2018-3-21_14-28-22.png

The Auctioneer had been haranguing the punters somewhat in earlier lots ("Come on, it's worth at least £20... nobody? OK, £15 then..."). He gets to this lot and says, erm, I'm going to have to start this at £1,400... someone bid (presumably a commission bid) - no other takers, boom, sold.

Is there something in this watch I'm not seeing, that puts it into that territory? Or do we have some crazed buyer who thinks it must be worth a lot because it's gold and has something approximating an Omega logo...?

Link to auction for more details & pics

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 21, 2018

Solid gold? I f there was 90-100g of 18k in it I could understand.

Looking at the link you provided it says 91g total, meaning maybe 70g net. Not enough to make to worthwhile when commission is accounted for.

3. ewand Mar 21, 2018

yeah, that's a fair point - I didn't expect the scrap value of gold to be so high, and even if it was, I'd have thought it would have to sell for a lot less if the intent was just to junk it.

4. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

It's a battery powered late 70's to early 90's bling watch that has no link to the famous and sought-after Constellations of previous eras. The value is purely in the gold.

5. ICONO Mar 21, 2018

Did it in fact.....actually sell ? ......or was the £1400 the undisclosed 'Reserve' ?

Maybe the 'diamond chips' on the dial enhanced the value ?

Did you miss something ???......Other than it was 'fucking hideous'.....I think not

ewand and NOTSHARP like this.
  6. GordonL Mar 21, 2018

I also think that is a hideous looking watch. Each to their own.