Forums Latest Members

Did I miss something? Market prices...

1. Fost Jun 9, 2017

Hi
    Since few month now, I am really looking at some specific watches that I never really took care before. Especially the step case time only, large edge coin tile only and 38mm gilt dial Chrono.
    After several inquiries about some piece I hardly found... I was quite shocked by he asking price. I know that asking price is not selling price but... The Gap seems hard to fill...
    So i am questioning myself: ' Am.i completely out of the current market price or just no luck with speculative seller? '
    Here are some example... I would like to read your point and the tentative of price range you would expect for such piece. Assuming Condition is nice to very nice ( except if precised).

- oversize eterna time only, 38mm, radium dial / large radium hand, SS, gilt dial ( military style), edge coin bezel : price?
    - 38 mm eterna waterproof Chrono gilt dial, radium dial / hands, Valjoux 22 : price?
    - longines tre tacche, black gilt dial, not so nice patina, 35mm, radium hands and Dial : price?

I don't want to post picture in respect to sellers, but this little exercise is just, for me, a way to know if I am alone to think that some nice vintage watch are still available at reasonable price or if all the market is now reserved to deep pockets...
    Thanks for your help and your thought...

Vitezi likes this.
  2. longlifegoods Jun 9, 2017

Well, all the pieces you stated above seem like they are from Italian sellers because they seem to have all the nice pieces and they are trading for hefty premiums. Take it with grain of salt (because most of the time I found these pieces on IG only) all of the watches above are trading for high 4 figures while some are even trading for low ~ mid 5 figures

Step case, edge coin bezel and gilt dial are all of the main features that are super hot among popular IG collectors currently and have been for quite some time, hence the asking price. Just my $0.02

3. longlifegoods Jun 9, 2017

In addition, 35 mm Longines tre tacche in black gilt dial are extremely sought after by both the Japanese and Italians.

4. Fost Jun 9, 2017

Thanks for your reply.
    You are certainly right but i was not expecting such rise in price due to the IG effect. Not all were from Italian collector / dealer, some in the US.

Typically, here was the offers ..
    - oversize eterna time only, 38mm, radium dial / large radium hand, SS, gilt dial ( military style), edge coin bezel : 9K euros
    - 38 mm eterna waterproof Chrono gilt dial, radium dial / hands, Valjoux 22 : 13K dollards
    - longines tre tacche, black gilt dial, not so nice patina, 35mm, radium hands and Dial : 1st : 8k euros (poor dial) / 2nd: 8K euros poor dial / 3rd: Relumed dial 12K euros/ 4th : Original radium dial / hands with greenish patina : 15K dollards...and a 33mm black dial for 4900 euros....

Most of those pièces are very difficult to find so I assumed that price are wide ad high... So maybe i just have to hope for a barn find ...
    I am sad today... love those pieces so much..

5. longlifegoods Jun 9, 2017

I do love them too and have been searching for those features but I think there are people who love them greater and have much deeper pockets than mine :D

Can we get the pictures of the watches? :whistling:

I think the sellers won't mind as long as you give them credit. They won't be annoyed if this thread seems like calling their pieces overpriced due to the fact these pieces will almost always get sold

6. Fost Jun 9, 2017

All are still for sale and As you said, this post is aboslutely not to say they are overpriced, but just to understand where is the market today for several rare and difficult to find watches. I would just prefer to not publish pictures as most of them are not really disclosed as 'For sale' watch or even not disclised on internet yet. I can shoot you a PM if you really want to see them ;)

7. longlifegoods Jun 9, 2017

Oops, sorry for the misunderstandings caused.

I am indeed interested in all of them although I'm no where near buying them :D

PM away mate ;)

8. omegastar Jun 9, 2017

What is an IG collector ?

9. longlifegoods Jun 9, 2017

IG = Instagram as in the social media for sharing pictures and hashtags

10. omegastar Jun 9, 2017

Thanks, I am getting old !

11. cristos71 Jun 9, 2017

The question is are you getting any wiser? :D

ahartfie, Mad Dog, JohnSteed and 3 others like this.
  12. omegastar Jun 9, 2017

Oh no, just older !
    How are you my RK collector friend ?

cristos71 likes this.
  13. omegastar Jun 9, 2017

Just bought this one from a non IG collector, you see I am not wiser for it is gold, only 37,5 mm and it didn't cost me 4k €.
    IMG_3011.JPG

Dogmann, yuralagun, micampe and 2 others like this.
  14. Rman Jun 9, 2017

Eterna seems to be heating up a bit. Nice Tretache just sold on a Japanese site for 10k.
    PMing you a location for gorgeous gilt dial chrono for less than half what you are looking at.

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. longlifegoods Jun 9, 2017

I wanna know too @Rman :whistling:

16. omegastar Jun 9, 2017

By the way, what about that crown ?
    Best
    Mounir

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 9, 2017

It seems like the market is finally catching up to what many purists have been for years...kickass watches based on aesthetic and attributes and not just brand.

The watches you describe are what I see is the last value area, as researching these brands is difficult and hard to place fmv, so deals are still available.

Great thread...

18. Fost Jun 9, 2017

@watchknut , you are totally right and I was expecting not to be too late in the party. But based on my last months very active search it seems that the good deals are not far from being gone already. But it makes the Hunt even more fun... The collateral effect is I want even more those watches...

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 9, 2017

Interesting thread. I've bought more that I thought I would this year. The prices for all our favorite brands are going up and my watch fun fund is increasingly hard to justify. The more exposure to vintage it seems the more buyers appear. The big brands are releasing homage pieces and so are independents and these kick starters. There is a reason for that. Vintage is now in style. Tapping the brakes and thinking thinking thinking about culling. Seiko, Bulova, Timex anyone?

Vitezi and JohnSteed like this.
  20. Fost Jun 9, 2017

Personnaly I found a lot of pleasure looking at other brands (when i say other it is different from big blog buster...) and personnaly i found some pieces in the net that are just CRAZY !! Just an exemple ? do you know Orator ? Me no until I saw this one... CrEdit is on the picture
    IMG_4062.JPG
    Wath a stuning watch....

micampe and Larry S like this.