Forums Latest Members

crown manually winding on screwing in

1. profglenn Oct 1, 2019

Hi - I have a seamster 300 master co-axial which I bought in May. I haven't had to adjust the time as after 5 months it is -38s, which is fantastic. I went to set the date and as I screwed the crown back in I could still feel the watch manually winding. So I screwed it in fully, unscrewed a little and put it to my ear and screwed it back in and it was indeed manually winding as I screwed it in. Is it a fault? If I send it off, they will open it up and regulation might never be as good etc etc - it has risks. Or maybe this is just normal function? Doesn't happen on my Tudors.

Thanks
    Glenn

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 1, 2019

The crown is in winding position all the way from screwed down to unscrewed, and then you pull it out for time changing which disengages the winding gear.

Push it back in and it's back in wind mode, and will be as you screw down the crown, so I think your watch is OK, but if the winding noise/feel is unusual, get back to your seller (OB, AD, whatever).

3. profglenn Oct 1, 2019

Thanks - all my other watches (3 Tudors and about 10 Christopher Wards with ETA 2824 or Selitta SW-200) all have decoupled crowns so the manual wind disengages when screwing in or screwing out the crown....so this is a bit unusual....

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 1, 2019

This is normal. Omega crowns don't disengage as Rolex crowns do. There's actually no need to disengage the crown when screwing it in on an automatic winding watch, and quite honestly the type that does disengage is more prone to that system failing.

Cheers, Al

Jensop likes this.
  5. profglenn Oct 1, 2019

Thanks very much indeed that’s very useful to know.