Forums Latest Members

Manually winding a new Co-axial movement: still puzzled...

1. M'Bob Jun 27, 2020

I have a Seamaster 300 Master-Co axial, and a couple other watches with METAS certifications.

This watch company, and most others, are concerned with precision. Goes without saying. In fact, they market and battle amongst each other for more precise timekeeping.

Therefore, I find it completely counter-intuitive that nowhere that I can find does the company either explicitly, or even generally, give range for how many winds should their automatics should receive if they’ve stopped, and haven’t been worn for a while.

One has to rely on anecdote rather than science from users. “12 times and I give it a shake.” “15-20 times.” “60 times should do it.” “Wind until your orthopedist diagnoses you with carpal tunnel syndrome.”

Come on! You’re telling me a company that spends millions on R and D regarding time-keeping precision can’t give some idea of the general number of turns relative to the power reserve of the mainspring it would take, under typical conditions, to keep the watch from winding down with use? Really?

2. Omegafanman Jun 27, 2020

3. M'Bob Jun 27, 2020

Thank you. Pleased to be wrong.

Omegafanman likes this.
  4. M'Bob Jun 27, 2020

Interestingly, Rolex says 25.

5. Omegafanman Jun 27, 2020

No I think you made a good point..... If you have to ask and dig for the answer they have failed a bit … should be in the book or in a video manual...

M'Bob likes this.
  6. M'Bob Jun 27, 2020

Completely agree. Totally missed what you found because I never guessed it would be in the “power reserve” section rather than in one of the headings under “use.”

Omegafanman likes this.
  7. Omegafanman Jun 27, 2020

I was once stuck in an Ikea car park for an hour, in a strange country, fighting a rental car - trying to work out how to put the back seats down to fit some crazy flat pack furniture I had just been made to buy for a short term flat rental.... that info was not in the car manual either :0(…. and don't ask about the self assembly instructions... I hate manuals.

Edited Jun 27, 2020
    M'Bob likes this.
  8. Canuck Jun 27, 2020

And then there is how much gas do you put in the tank of a hybrid car? Complications, complications! So much to worry about!