Classic car spotting this week.

Well for what its worth it does look like the lowest level are perhaps motorized.

The lower step would have to be, otherwise it’d get wiped out in rough terrain. Not that it looks like it has ever seen any.
Without the running boards you’d need a parachute to get out of the thing!

Most likely a replica body on a VW frame.

Things in LA can be so random...

I'm guessing they drove down from Portland. 😁

Must be a bloody masochist to drive that thing any great distance did they carry their bed of nails in the back?

Must be a bloody masochist to drive that thing any great distance did they carry their bed of nails in the back?
I did an MGB from Orange County to Laguna Seca Raceway in the summer with no AC.

There's a thread on TheSamba (VW forum) that's entitled "How far did you get before you broke down."

It's about the journey, not the destination (even though the destination might be across town.) 😁

I did an MGB from Orange County to Laguna Seca Raceway in the summer with no AC.

You are approved to drive an air cooled vee-dub.

There are additional requirements for a water cooled Vanagon. How long can you lay on your back on gravel by the side of the road?

There's a thread on TheSamba (VW forum) that's entitled "How far did you get before you broke down."

It's about the journey, not the destination (even though the destination might be across town.) 😁
The bloody destination is probably unachievable no matter if it is only across town!

In all honesty, there are a lot of those down here, and they carry fairly high prices.