Call That a 2998? THIS is a 2998

Nope. 99% of watch collecting is persistence.

Great watches are like women: yes, you have to be persistent, but they ain't coming home with you unless you have the income.

Nope. 99% of watch collecting is persistence and luck.

I'm not quite so sure. One can pretty easily build a world class collection just buying watches here on OF... the trick is you need $20k + in liquid capital when that 2998 comes up for sale.

Nope. 99% of watch collecting is persistence and luck.
Not to mention a Big BR 😉 For those "squares" reading this: Bank Roll 😀

I'm not quite so sure. One can pretty easily build a world class collection just buying watches here on OF... the trick is you need $20k + in liquid capital when that 2998 comes up for sale.

You can find them for less if you are persistent and/or lucky.

From yesterday in OB in Madrid where they presented the 60th editions

Seriously? I didn't know. I missed it. 🙁 I haven't had any clue about it...

Agree about luck, persistence & cash, but you also need knowledge too. Many of the 2998s I've seen for sale publicly I would not buy for myself or recommend to anyone. I've come close to buying pieces (marketed as correct) I would have regretted even though I had the cash.

Agree about luck, persistence & cash, but you also need knowledge too. Many of the 2998s I've seen for sale publicly I would not buy for myself or recommend to anyone. I've come close to buying pieces (marketed as correct) I would have regretted even though I had the cash.

That's fair. But anyone can acquire the knowledge to collect Speedmasters. In fact I would argue that Speedmaster collecting is much less of a minefield than something like UG or even Rolex, where the waters are extremely muddy in many cases. This is thanks in large part to MWO and the contributions to the community from @Spacefruit and others.

I just think that people place a little too much importance on the "persistence and luck (and knowledge)" aspect of collecting while ignoring the elephant in the room, that's all. Just my 2c. Sorry for the thread drift. 😟

I just think that people place a little too much importance on the "persistence and luck (and knowledge)" aspect of collecting while ignoring the elephant in the room, that's all. Just my 2c. Sorry for the thread drift. 😟
The elephant in the room being Dead Presidents 😉

That's fair. But anyone can acquire the knowledge to collect Speedmasters. In fact I would argue that Speedmaster collecting is much less of a minefield than something like UG or even Rolex, where the waters are extremely muddy in many cases. This is thanks in large part to MWO and the contributions to the community from @Spacefruit and others.

That might be true at the minute, now Speedmaster-mania has gripped collectors, and we have the excellent sp101 and MWO. However, bare in mind many of these 2998's were not aquired in the last 12 months, when it seems every pseudo-dealer has vintage Speedmasters for sale for those with pelagic pockets.

Prior to the Speedmaster boom there was no easily available education save for Chronomaddox, and lessons were learned through buying/owning and trudging through countless articles and threads, piecing together information. Cal 321 Speedmasters were frequently sold on eBay for the low thousands and this is where luck and persistence paid off, for those who had a bit of knowledge and the balls to back themselves.

Unfortunately this horse has bolted for Speedmasters at the minute, but fortunately it still applies to many other Omega models.

Just look how hodinkee explain 2998-1,or MWO explained 2915-3.Horses in the bottle you say.

3452588193_a77e247128_z.jpg
Absolutely insane condition!
Edited:

Posted about this a few years back. Total package. Have manual, outer box and original receipt also.

27972768956_f88d6c7580_c.jpg
Just can't get better than this! Top condition, perfect and flaweless in all ways, maximum collector's grade.

In Spain that is a saying that is something like: There is always a nicer chicken then the one that you have... Lol

I was just joking with my posts... you guys make the end of my working day better!

Cheers
How does that saying look in Spanish?