Call That a 2998? THIS is a 2998

2998-3 my grandfather bought it new in 1963 and gave it to me in 2002. All original
Amazing. That is an inheritance to treasure.

Why am I falling for that one despite the less than good bezel? Please help me understand why I am attracted to this watch. Should I buy it ?

Why am I falling for that one despite the less than good bezel? Please help me understand why I am attracted to this watch. Should I buy it ?
The dial is very nice, hans are nice as well. Case is not? Still depends on price, right?

"Shagged" is such an under used term here in Canada. Way to go SF!!

This question is mainly for all of the folks with 2998s but also for anyone with vintage experience.

How much pitting/corrosion is acceptable?

Assume a person found a watch to purchase in similar attractive condition as the watches in this thread that also had some minor pitting, would you still purchase it?

Minor is pitting that are pin pricks and slightly larger that do not affect the gasket or water resistance. They may appear anywhere but typically seem to appear between the lugs or on the edge of the caseback where skin and grime collect. They are visible under magnification and may also be seen upon close examination, but do not detract from the overall appearance.

The main reason for the question is to understand if minor pitting in an early Speedmaster is to be expected and tolerated, similarly as worn lugs. That is, if a person insists on sharp lugs or zero pitting then they will never own a 2998.

I do not want to hijack an excellent thread. In my mind this seems connected to the original intent. If i am wrong, please accept my apology. Otherwise, I sincerely look forward to your thoughts.

2998-3 my grandfather bought it new in 1963 and gave it to me in 2002. All original

That’s ball-achingly gorgeous. However, I’d only wear it while lying in a vat of cotton wool.

It looks like it was sold for $15K. Very good price imho. For someone living in US perfect catch for sure.

I can't believe he took 50% loss on this listing.

Look for it resurface.

I can't believe he took 50% loss on this listing.

More than that, it's easily a $20k loss on a $33k+tax "investment" when you include fees for the sale.