Forums Latest Members

Buy my first speedmaster or wait for new 2020 releases?

1. ufoRAILGUN Jan 2, 2020

Hi, so I've only recently got into watches for the last few months, and I'm already a huge Omega fan. I'm thinking of getting my first speedy in the next couple of months, but I hear that there's going to be a re-release of the caliber 321 movement. I was wondering if I should wait for the new speedys, or just go ahead and buy the current reference.

CSM and Larry S like this.
  2. rob#1 Jan 2, 2020

Depends on your budget - the 321 revivals will be considerably more expensive than the standard Moonwatch. It’s also possible that 2020 will see the 3861 movement become available in a ‘standard’ Moonwatch so it might be worth waiting to see how that pans out...

64Wing, ufoRAILGUN, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 2, 2020

3861 will become standard IF there is a change.

4. YY77 Jan 2, 2020

If you want a 321 in SS this year expect more than 10K+ $/€ out of pocket. Maybe wait for a possible Apollo 13 50th in Q2.

5. rob#1 Jan 2, 2020

Maybe both movements will run parallel with different pricing? I can’t see the 1861 movement being ditched as it’s so iconic, but I bet the Olde Omega Forum of the 60s thought the same when the 321 was replaced ;)

mz_cle and argonbeam like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 2, 2020

they have already said what is going to happen to the 321... but sure you can dream it’s going into regular production and the ready for regular production 3861 is not what will replace the 861.

and you can wait for Santa Claus to come also.

Larry S and ext1 like this.
  7. Pun Jan 2, 2020

I doubt there were any Omega Forum in 1960s. This is very different time in our civilization where Internet is a way of life with loadful of communication tools and information available to all.
    There is a greater probability that 3861 will ultimately replace 1861. When that happens, 1861 will be a collectible watch. 3861 is a chronometer certified movement, that is better but altogether another animal.

Edited Jan 2, 2020
  8. rob#1 Jan 2, 2020

@Pun Obviously there was no OF or anything similar back in the 60s, the winking eye = a tongue in cheek remark. What I was getting at was that there would probably have been no reaction to the replacing of the 321 with the 861 (done for financial reasons) whereas now there’s all kind of forums to debate the pros and cons of changing to a new movement (as you noted, a chronometer certified movement in line with Omega’s grand plan).

@Foo2rama As for the new 321 I know the basics of how it fits into Omega’s grand plan. I’m certainly not dreaming of it going into regular production; when I spoke with my local OB they described it as being more like a bespoke movement. The 3861 will replace the 1861 at some stage, I would envisage them running side by side for a while first, but I may well be wrong, we’ll see.

BenBagbag, ufoRAILGUN and Pun like this.
  9. Pun Jan 2, 2020

I agree with your intentions and content both. My view is that 321, 861 and 1861 movements were of similar lineage, except for certain changes made to economise the cost or improve the efficiency. 3861 is not in that line at all. Therefore, 1861 will be a sought after one after the current line is discontinued. Regards

ufoRAILGUN and rob#1 like this.
  10. RazorFrazer Jan 2, 2020

Ide guess 5 years until 3861 is rolled out in favor of 1861

11. jsducote Jan 2, 2020

Go back to OP's assumption that buying new is the only option. Is the intent for it to be a one & only, buy & hold forever? Is this the beginning of a collection that could include a birthyear, historically significant pieces, attractive LEs, and more? Because there is a lot more than just the current model (as if there was only one) vs. tomorrow's and not all "used" Speedys are created equal.

Riviera Paradise, Pun and ufoRAILGUN like this.
  12. ufoRAILGUN Jan 2, 2020

This is definitely the start of a collection of speedys, and I will definitely be buying some vintage and LEs in the future. That being said, do you think I should start with a brand new one? Or buy an older reference?

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 2, 2020

What do you like about the watch? What is your budget?

people that collect these tend to have a focus. Or they have models that they like. Which are you?

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 2, 2020

The 321 if offered in SS is going to be north of 15KUSD IMO.

gdupree, 64Wing and Pun like this.
  15. Martin_F Jan 2, 2020

I ended up buying a new one now, since I didn't want to wait and pay extra for METAS certification.
    Mine is averaging +2.28 seconds/day over the first week of wearing it and I'm pretty happy with that.

The SS 321 (when and if it is released) is going to be a lot more expensive then the current moonwatch.

Riviera Paradise, Pun and ufoRAILGUN like this.
  16. ufoRAILGUN Jan 2, 2020

The history of the watch, the aesthetic, versatility, the brand of Omega itself. Plus I'm a huge NASA and space fan, and my career is somewhat closely related to space.

I already have my mind set on the moonwatch, but I'm also looking at the CK2998 pulsation dial LE and the A11 30th (I just love the quote on the back). And of course the grail is a snoopy (who doesn't want a snoopy?)

17. AntonisCy Jan 2, 2020

I personally expect that after May 2020 the standard moonwatch will be sold with the 3861 movement.

Pun likes this.
  18. EauTerre Jan 2, 2020

If you can wait until mid-2020 to see what the various manufacturers will release - it can't hurt to postpone your purchase.

It's not like the Speedmasters were in short supply, as opposed to Daytonas...

19. Evitzee Jan 2, 2020

You can also make the argument that it would be MORE desirable to buy an 1861 Speedmaster now if Omega switches over to the 3861 movement in 2020. That would automatically make it a model 'no longer made' and would make it more desirable for future collectability. And would be cheaper to buy. If I was in the market for a new Speedmaster I'd be looking to get one with the 1861 movement before they are gone forever from dealer showcases. Even now they don't seem to be as readily available now as they were a year or so ago, either through official channels or grey market.

Riviera Paradise, Pun and scapa like this.
  20. Basel1893 Jan 2, 2020

So I do have some news directly from the Omega Boutique in Zürich. I visited the store last week and I get surpisingly real concrete informations. In end of February Omega will announce that the 861 will be replaced with the 3861. There will be no 861 available latest by the end of 2020. Due to this they already stack the current model up in the store because they expect a huge demand increase after the offical announcement. There will be also a significant price increase due to the new movement.

I would expect a price increase between 1 & 2k. Due to this I would get one now asap.