Forums Latest Members

The "next one": buy BLNR now or wait for Speedmaster Moonphase Metas Co-axial 2016?

1. Riviera Paradise Nov 10, 2016

I was just wondering if anyone in the forum has hands-on experience with both the BLNR and the new Speedmaster Moonphase Metas Co-axial (Basel 2016). I had a quick view of the new Speedy Moonphase (steel / black dial) during my visit to the Omega House/ Rio Olympics, but did not try it hands on and the lighting was not at all good...and the cell phone pic was even worse!
    20160820_145758.jpg

I know this sounds so silly...as we don't really need any more watches do we?:)..but the "chosen one" will fill a business watch "hole" in my collection ...above the Orbis Hour Vision/Rolex Explorer 1 (more discreet) and below the Tresor/JLC Reverso (more dressy). I know the BLNR is more sporty, will have better resale etc., but the Speedy looks beautiful in the blue dial version below, as well as offering one of the most interesting interpretations on the moonphase complication I have seen in recent years. I would also use the constant running chronograph as a substitute GMT function on travel trips.

Omega-Speedmaster-Moonphase_304.33.44.52.03-womw.jpg

The BLNR for comparison below:

Rolex-BLNR-11-845x562@2x.jpg
    Both pics courtesy Time and Tide Aussie blog...really appreciate their work!

I have received a very tempting time-dependent offer on the BLNR from my local AD, but unfortunately the new Speedy moonphase has not yet arrived here in my location, only the new "PO black" collection. Actually I am not aware of any OBs that have received the new Basel 2016 Speedy Moonphase...has anyone seen them in the wild?

So buy now or wait a little longer? What would you do and which one would you choose? Thanks!

semper_shells likes this.
  2. mdgrwl Nov 10, 2016

Very, very different watches. Buy what excites you most!

marcn and Riviera Paradise like this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 10, 2016

Wait & see the Omega in person before you decide. :thumbsup:

VicLeChic and Riviera Paradise like this.
  4. Barada7 Nov 10, 2016

BLNR.

Does anyone dislike that watch?

5. alam Nov 10, 2016

BLNR, plus as many others I also like instant gratification! :D

Edited Nov 10, 2016
  6. nickw Nov 10, 2016

In my eyes constant running chronograph is a horrifically impractical substitute for a true GMT function.

7. w.finkenstaedt Nov 10, 2016

I do. It's neither here nor there. Brutally shaped case and shiny bracelet, plus no bevel on the case, or glidelock.

To the OP, the moonphase is awesome on the wrist, though it's thick. Very thick. If you're fine with the size of the DSOTM, you'll be fine with the moonphase (though it is heavier).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim, ahartfie and Riviera Paradise like this.
  8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 10, 2016

The BLNR does it for me.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  9. VillageIdiot Nov 10, 2016

They're quite different watches, and it really depends upon what you like.

Personally, I'd go for the BLNR. The Omega coaxial is thick, and the BLNR should wear slightly better, being smaller/thinner. (I haven't tried on the new moonphase but, if it's anything like the DSOTM, it'll wear small for its size, but the thickness will be like a hockey puck on your wrist.) I'm also not crazy about the new chronograph minutes dial on Omega coaxials, as they're a pain to read (e.g., telling the difference between "6 minutes" and "7 minutes" isn't easy).

Also note that the Rolex is regulated to +/- 2 sec/day, whereas METAS is 0-5 sec/day. Now, with the Omega, you might get lucky and get a very accurate watch. You have to be lucky, though.

10. watchthirst Nov 10, 2016

BLNR all the way. Just purchased one myself and it was my first brand new directly from an AD watch purchase and I've never been happier. Yes it's overpriced for what it is, but man is that watch on point, and value retention is top notch. They sell for used for almost what they sell for new.

IMG_5164.JPG
  11. w.finkenstaedt Nov 10, 2016

That's a one second difference. Personally I'd always rather have my watch run fast, even if it's by 5 secs.

Also note that Rolex doesn't test the power reserve delta, so your watch may run at +1 s/day, but it won't run at that at 30% power reserve. Omega METAS test involves making sure the delta is never too far apart (and not outside COSC at the very least).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwit and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. VillageIdiot Nov 10, 2016

Note that the BLNR is one of the few watches where it generally makes sense to buy from the AD. Trusted brokers seem to be asking pretty close to MSRP, and (in the US) you can sometimes get the BLNR with a small discount, which could put the price at or maybe below the trusted broker asking price.

(Of course, this assumes that you're willing to report and pay out-of-state sales tax -- which I do. If you play the "no sales tax" game, then buying from a trusted broker might save you money.)

13. mmalek1 Nov 10, 2016

This has been a great daily wearer for me for just over six months. The speedy is a sharp piece, but the BLNR is very comfortable to wear and looks sharp too. IMG_2159.JPG

14. meganfox17 Nov 10, 2016

Hey ! It's another Rolex vs Omega thread ! Imagine that [emoji136]
    The last time I opened my mouth , some dude invited me over to the Rolex forum. Love Batman & @Nobel Prize 's 16710 Coke ( I dont know why I keep saying that )
    Looking forward to Baselworld 2017. I'm predicting a Rolex Sprite[emoji14] ,Coke ceramic & Sea Dweller 50th Anniversary LE

kkt, Longbow, Darlinboy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Riviera Paradise Nov 11, 2016

Nobel's 16710 Coke...sounds like a reference to high grade white powder?:)...joking apart yes it is a beautiful watch:thumbsup:, but I cannot source the 16710s easily here in Rio. Usually only spend one week in the US per travel visit and don't have time to purchase anything before I fly back.:(

Longbow and meganfox17 like this.
  16. Kobus Nov 11, 2016

Ok, I had to google. For the benefit of other "noobs":

BLNR =
    Probably "BLeu" (blue in French) + "NoiRe" (black) = BLNR.

Longitude, Greatpa and jjtnova like this.
  17. VillageIdiot Nov 11, 2016

While that is true, a big reason why English speakers use "BLNR", is because that is the last four letters of the reference number for that watch: "116710BLNR". You can see that on Rolex's website (look at the reference number).

Giff2577 likes this.
  18. meganfox17 Nov 11, 2016

Really ? I thought it was Best Luxury New Rolex [emoji136]

watchme, Jwit and Riviera Paradise like this.
  19. CaptDngr Nov 11, 2016

I just placed an order for the Blue version of this moonphase watch. Really looking forward to it!

20. Riviera Paradise Nov 11, 2016

Wow, super wow...look at this moonphase beauty just launced by GO (pic courtesy watchesbysjx)....have not seen this hands on, but if I lived in a location with local GO representation, this would certainly put the Speedy Metas Moonphase lower down the list!
    Glashütte-Original-Senator-Excellence-Panorama-Date-Moon-Phase-1.jpg

I forgot to mention another Basel 2016 release that I would probably love to see close up before choosing "the next one" . The new Heuer Monza re-edition (pic courtesy Monchrome Watches). But this one would not fall into the " business watch" category and just pure "fun".
    TAG-Heuer-Monza-40th-Anniversary-Calibre-17-Baselworld-2016-5.jpg

Still I think the BLNR is becoming the inevitable choice for me...I am succumbing the dark side of the Rolex force:)

Edited Nov 11, 2016
    Barada7 likes this.