Forums Latest Members

Buying The Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster or Wait for the 3861

1. FedFod May 22, 2019

Hi everybody,
    I am in the process of deciding for my first serious watch. After a long thinking and researching my choise fell on the Speedmaster sapphire sandwich, currently in production.
    The reason for this is not much for the historical reasons, but more for the view case back.
    I’m passionate about mechanic and this is what brought me in the watch world, and the speedy seems to have the best case view in this price range.
    Now, my doubt is: should I wait for the new coaxial caliber 3863 to go in the main line, or should I go with the current 1863?
    Any help on this is appreciated, since i’m Still very undecided.
    Thank you!

2. whyboddau May 22, 2019

It depends on your price point. A new sapphire sandwich is in the $4k range but who knows how much a ss 3861 will cost. If you can wait you can see the new one and decide. Based on the much publicized 50th available, I wouldn’t hope for a display caseback on the next ss model. I would expect the peasant spec version to be a solid caseback that is “limited” to 9999 units.
    Personally I prefer vintage...3592.50 or later 3572.50 and 3573.50. Lots of options, but again, it depends on your price point. These vintage models start around low $3k up to $5k.
    Happy searching!

FedFod likes this.
  3. balaja May 22, 2019

4. Evitzee May 22, 2019

The 'new' 3861 appears finished to the same standards as the 1863 in the sapphire sandwich. But what we don't know is when, or even if, this new movement will appear in the standard Speedmaster or if it will be offered with a sapphire back. If it is I would wager that the price will be in the $7,000 to $7,500 range. It would seem to me that you would be better off getting the sapphire sandwich now where you can negotiate a decent discount, or buy grey market, instead of waiting for a new model that hasn't been announced and will probably be in relatively short supply for awhile and at a far higher market price.

A bird in the hand .......

FedFod likes this.