Forums Latest Members
  1. vibe Apr 5, 2021

I’m saying that there is no need for an $80 aftermarket dome pliexi for a 5500/1002 because there are plenty of $6-88 ones out there. Pretty certain they won’t fit a 14000, but who knows. The plexi bezel and case interface probably has a different shape than the sapphire version. Better move is to find a 5500 you like and offer a swap for your 14000.

2. gnuyork Apr 9, 2021

I'm similar...originality is key, but at the same time I have fallen for the charms of acrylic now that I have the Heslalite Speedmaster., Yes Sapphire is technically superior, but the warmth and clarity of Hesalite is unreal.

I could be tempted to put a domed acrylic on a 14060, yes I could.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  3. vibe Apr 10, 2021

I think the real problem is that it is a flat sapphire. Might be interesting to fit a dome sapphire on it. I have a 93 speedmaster date with a (original) subtle dome sapphire and it looks really great.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  4. jaguar11 Apr 10, 2021

Reading this makes me wish that I still had my 14060 to fit one on....

JwRosenthal likes this.
  5. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 10, 2021

@JwRosenthal

Nice look, pictures seem more like a ‘tool’ watch to my eye now?

Talking of water resistance - Sn...

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal Apr 10, 2021

A domed sapphire would be intersting, I have them in a few watches and it’s attractive- doesn’t have the same look as acrylic, but the dome is a nice touch. The problem with sapphire in general is the need for an absolute perfect fit with the gasket- it has to be to the micron or it will leak, or it will break upon pressing (or just won’t go in). So the aftermarket dome would have to be exactly the same dimensions at the ring-to the micron- as the factory crystal. Acrylic has a little more room as it can flex.

7. CoDiffe Apr 10, 2021

I’ve actually thought about trading my 14060 for a 5513 just for the acrylic. Inflated prices don’t justify it though. Now you’ve got me wondering if I should try this with mine!

noelekal and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Apr 10, 2021

It’s worth the try- it was a game changer for me.

gnuyork likes this.
  9. nkhandekar Apr 13, 2021

This is just a great looking mod. Thanks. You have opened up a whole world of contemplation for a sub-date with a dome crystal...a sub-dweller. What is the word on your water resistance...enough for a thunderstorm is all that matters to me for something like this!

10. JwRosenthal Apr 13, 2021

Haven’t done the test yet as my watchmaker has been horribly backlogged (apparently covid gave time to clean out sock drawers everywhere), but the fit of the acrylic was not loose- it was quite snug going in with the same resistance as pressing an acrylic into a case designed for it.
    My buddy has an old fashion Bulova waterproof test kit that uses a soapy mixture and a suction pump and gives a basic GO/NO GO (see bubbles- no go) so I should have him give it a test.

noelekal likes this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 13, 2021

Amazing and fun read. Thank you for sharing

JwRosenthal likes this.