Forums Latest Members

Brand new Speedmaster damaged by AD - how to proceed?

1. vbrad26 Jun 8, 2021

I'm usually one to brush off minor scratches but this seems a little much.
    I find it so hard to believe that people can butcher a strap change especially to this extent.
    I'm just not really sure what recourse you have...aside from getting the shop who damaged it to make it right, which is something you definitely need to pursue.
    I wouldn't necessarily demand anything, not at first. But rather have them offer some suggestions, and then go from there...

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. timmyk86 Jun 8, 2021

Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

I brought it back to the store within about 5 minutes of having left and strongly expressed my dissatisfaction. I was initially told ‘I’m sorry you feel that way’ but they did concede soon after and agreed to make it right.

Initially, the suggestion was compensation (who knows what) and a polish at a local AD that has a Rolex approved workshop. I of course am not satisfied with that, and in any case, having seen the photos, the local AD doesn’t want to get involved.

The suggestion now is that the offending store sends it off to Omega for repair. What exactly that will involve I don’t know yet, but they have said they will do whatever to make it right. I did ask about replacement but that is a bit complicated as I bought it from a different, independent AD. The AD that damaged it is a large chain retailer (probably main Omega distributor) in the UK.

To those who have mentioned that scratches happen - I totally agree. But I was seeking (and had agreed to pay for) a service from an AD that should have been able to do a professional job with the correct tools. I certainly do not think I should expect that to happen. Additionally, any scratches in the future will be my doing and I am okay with that.

I have emailed the customers relations department of the AD, the AD store itself and Omega. No reply from Omega yet. I would love a replacement as that would mean I didn’t have to spend 6-8 weeks without my now 6-day old engagement gift!

Stripey, DoctorEvil and MTROIS like this.
  3. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2021

It is my opinion that replacement of the entire watch won't happen and it's unreasonable to ask.

A new case, however, would be what I would expect and ask for.

Glad you're getting the help you deserve.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jun 8, 2021

A new case with non-matching serial number or one without a SN? Either way sounds suboptimal.

5. timmyk86 Jun 8, 2021

This would not be something I could accept. Particularly because the number would differ from the warranty card.

I would assume that the correct serial number would be engraved on the new case though right?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2021

A replacement case with the same serial number would be used.

7. vbrad26 Jun 8, 2021

I think a new case from Omega is where I'd settle...

MTROIS and Foo2rama like this.
  8. scubafan Jun 8, 2021

Sorry, I'm playing the devil' advocate and there's something not clear enough to me. You said in your first post that the day you received the watch, you swapped the bracelet to a leather strap, then you took the watch to the AD to reinstall and size the bracelet. Which tools did you use to swap the bracelet to the leather strap? More than likely you could have made the scratches. Just my opinion.

9. timmyk86 Jun 8, 2021

Fair enough comment.

I used a spring bar tool and taped the lugs. Given it is my first (well, second - I have a TAG but it’s nowhere near as nice) I was extremely careful. It was dead easy removing the bracelet and equally so fitting the strap. I inspected it afterwards - not a mark.

The guy in the AD freely admitted to having had trouble re-fitting the bracelet and not being able to do it as he had the wrong tool. He then returned it to me with the strap the wrong way round and and to remove and re-fit that again.

I’m a surgeon and am very used to doing fine/delicate work. I know those scratches and dents weren’t my doing.

10. scubafan Jun 8, 2021

Cleared now, I stand corrected then sir, and good luck with your claim! Regards.

timmyk86 likes this.
  11. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2021

Something you might not know... Omega uses 20mm spring bars on straps and 19mm spring bars on bracelets, because you can't get the bracelet on with their 20mm spring bars... it's damn near impossible!

So if he was using 20mm bars to get your bracelet on, I can see where that would cause the issues, because forcing things never works. Based on the way those lug corners are crushed, my hypothesis is that (and I shudder to think it), your watch was put in a vise to hold it!

But that's speculation.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2021

Very unlikely. If it was held in anything, it would have been much more likely to be a case holder...

s-l1000.jpg

13. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2021

I know that's what they're supposed to use but all four lugs with crush marks?

14. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2021

Looked again, not all four. Oh well I got nothin'.

15. timmyk86 Jun 8, 2021

One was spared!

Only two really had the dents - presumedly the side he tried to fit the bracelet too initially.

so is the consensus that an omega performed case refurbishment or replacement is an acceptable outcome?

16. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2021

Replacement certainly is. I don't know whether normal refinishing is warranted here; you had a brand-new watch, you deserve to be made whole, and refinishing your case isn't really going to accomplish that.

YY77 likes this.
  17. Evitzee Jun 8, 2021

If you used a springbar tool to remove the bracelet and install a leather strap with no marks yourself, I'm surprised you didn't remount the bracelet yourself, too, rather than having another AD do it.

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. timmyk86 Jun 8, 2021

Just a convenience thing. Put the strap on so I could wear it immediately, brought it to the AD to have the bracelet sized knowing they would put it back on the watch to do so. If anything I thought it saved me a job.

19. Paul m Wishes he were an Aussie Jun 8, 2021

I change my 60th anniversary speedmaster from bracelet to strap regularly and minor scratches seem inevitable,but then I’m doing it myself and so there is no one else to blame.but the marks are pretty bad I must say.my local OB sized the bracelet when I bought it a few years back and one of the pins hadn’t lined up into the third link correctly causing it to go out of line and look twisted.corrected it myself.never had much confidence in them since.

20. G4_Chrono Jun 8, 2021

OP - I am so sorry for your stress. I would say, as encouraged here, pursue it firmly and politely. There will be a resolution.

Is that right about the spring bars?
    I have the 1861 Speedmaster with the big box kit and it came on bracelet and with 4 'spares' in a bag labelled 068ST2207. I take it these are for the bracelet. Or should I have received the 08 spring bars with the kit?