Forums Latest Members

Banged up my brand new Speedmaster tonight :-(

1. fc3861 Mar 21, 2021

I literally just did this tonight. I was about to fall and instinctively reached for a wall and my watch caught on the corner and ripped right off and fell to a hard tile floor 3 or 4 feet down. I'm really sick about it right now. So far though it seems to be keeping time but the bracelet is going to need some work. Also put a nice dent in the side of the case.

I'm going to head to the boutique tomorrow morning to try and see what can be done.

2021-03-21_22-12-34_650.jpeg

2. fc3861 Mar 21, 2021

lulofr likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 21, 2021

Ah thats no good mate but good to know you’re ok, watchmaker bills are a lot lower than hospital bills. The watch will probably be fine, and the dent isn’t the end of the world either as these tool watches are meant to be worn and have some battle scars. I’d just fix the clasp and not worry about the case.

Bmws, Radiumpassion, kkt and 29 others like this.
  4. Marsimaxam Mar 21, 2021

Sorry, but, at least you are ok. It is a deep dent and I don't see them polishing out the damage. I have heard of amazing things being done with laser welding, or you can consider getting a new mid case, or wear it as a badge of honor... it saved you from a fall. The bracelet might be able to be repaired or replace the part.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Lonestar, owl., Twocats and 2 others like this.
  5. Dan S Mar 21, 2021

Glad you are ok. Must have been a defective bracelet. ::rimshot::

Lonestar, gemini4 and Duracuir1 like this.
  6. fc3861 Mar 21, 2021

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I'll post and update tomorrow after the boutique takes a look at it. Maybe it's time for a NATO strap :)

Dor_42, Dsloan and Pun like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Mar 21, 2021

Glad you’re ok. On the bright side, you should have no fear of wearing the hell out of this watch now! I went down a ravine with a 40lb pack on my back and my Speedy smacked every rock on the way down (tore my IT band), bezel popped off- it popped right back on with a firm push.
    It’s like the first door ding on a new car- good for a rally now.

Paedipod, Danwales, kkt and 11 others like this.
  8. apsm100 applysome! Mar 21, 2021

We need a post about that story. :eek:

Kmart, Scarecrow Boat, Dor_42 and 2 others like this.
  9. bdp Mar 21, 2021

Glad your OK.
    I think that is a bit more than patina!
    GLW the repairs and take care.

10. Rado63 Mar 21, 2021

Interested to hear if Omega would repair the case. Think they would suggest replacement case. Also wondering if they sell just the replacement clasp or do they only sell the full bracelet. Sorry to hear about this I am sure you feel terrible. Keep us posted on the repairs.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 21, 2021

Welcome to the wear it like it’s stolen club :thumbsup:

Fix the clasp and carry on.

Just think. You now have your very own security marking :thumbsup:

::stirthepot:: Lucky those razor sharp edges ( that all the purse carrying Nancy boys complain about ) didn’t slice you open ::stirthepot::

=No offence to anyone called Nancy that carries a purse=

Edited Mar 22, 2021
    Bmws, Omegafanman, Paedipod and 25 others like this.
  12. rhr321 Mar 21, 2021

They definitely sell the bracelet clasp as a separate part, full bracelet not necessary. Part availability may be a bit slower because it’s so new.

13. Pun Mar 21, 2021

Get the bracelet done and leave the dent, I'd suggest. You'll wear it more comfortably with a dent without worrying about new one.
    You can get all dents, as they'll be there if you wear it regularly, removed at next service after 5-7 years' period. You're lucky that only a watch was damaged, not you.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Mar 21, 2021

I have a feeling they would insist on a complete service to replace the mid-case considering the watch took an impact that hard- may not be a bad idea, but if it’s still running fine....

If that rough spot on the side has some sharp edges, just hit the bottom with a little Emory cloth to smooth it out- not much to lose now.

Pun likes this.
  15. CaliberKingPin Mar 22, 2021

Oh man sorry to hear this!

The first ones always the hardest.
    Glad your ok.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2021

At least wearing it the mark is invisible. New clasps are surprisingly cheap vs the bracelet price.

glad you got no permanent dings!

Lonestar and Dor_42 like this.
  17. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 22, 2021

The important thing is that none of your bits are damaged. The clasp should be a relatively easy replacement, and the ding in the case is simply...character :)

kkt likes this.
  18. gbesq Mar 22, 2021

You need to stop being so modest and come clean about what really happened. You were sea kayaking well offshore in a gale when you were viciously attacked by a 6,000 pound great white shark. The beast snapped your boat in half like a toothpick, throwing you 30 feet into the air. As you landed hard in the water, you realized that the battle was not yet over. The shark charged you. You knew then that you had only one chance. Suddenly you remembered a post on OF about the razor sharp edges on your new Speedy. As the shark set itself upon you, you struck it on the snout with a glancing blow from the watch - hence the dent in the case. As the shark turned away from you and revealed its soft underbelly, you were able to rake your Speedy down its abdomen from stem to stern, disemboweling the creature and dispatching it as only an Omega owner can. Exhausted, but triumphant, you swam the five miles back to the mainland in record time - which you recorded with the chronograph function. As you struggled in the shallows to reach the sand, the clasp, which had been damaged in the attack, finally gave way and the watch fell off your wrist and into the water. The pounding surf ground the watch into the bottom, scratching it further, but you were able to recover it. Fortunately, since it was new and you were in shallow water, the watch remained watertight and still keeps perfect time. Bravo, sir, you are a steely eyed missile man. Seriously, glad that you are ok. The watch can be fixed.

Edited Mar 22, 2021
    Bmws, Gamma11, Paedipod and 41 others like this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2021

Everyone will know it’s 24742C21-75E1-476F-AF5B-0AB744443F22.gif because you shouldn’t push the chrono buttons in water.....

Paedipod, kkt, Lonestar and 9 others like this.
  20. gbesq Mar 22, 2021

THAT’s the part of the story that you don’t believe? ;)