Forums Latest Members

Brand new Speedmaster chronograph issue

1. conant Apr 3, 2021

I just received my brand new fully stickered red Tokyo Olympics edition speedmaster from a friend in Japan. It was purchased new from a boutique on Mar 20. When I first opened it up yesterday I wound it and started, stopped and reset the Chrono a few times. I left the chrono running overnight and in the morning I tried stopping the chrono with the 2 o’clock pusher but the pusher doesn’t depress all the way to the click and is still running. I’ve googled quite a bit and haven’t found this exact issue. I stopped by a local AD to try a 1861 pusher and mine definitely doesn’t have the same play all the way down to the case. Anyone have suggestions or do I need to already send it to omega for service? Pretty disappointing if so especially since it hasn’t even been sized.

2. Pazzo Apr 3, 2021

It is and I feel sorry for you.
    Personally, what I would do is to let it work until it stops and then try the pushers once again.
    Mind you, I'm not a watchmaker and I hope that someone with better knowledge than myself gets on your thread, @Archer comes to mind, and offers his views.

By the way, welcome to the Forum.

3. conant Apr 3, 2021

View attachment 1196271
    Thanks for the welcome. Was hoping this would be an incoming thread and a more joyous occasion. Yea my plan was to let it run down as well. Hopefully that “reset” unlocks something. In my exuberance I gave it a few turns of the crown so I may have some hours left. If there’s any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. D9983ECD-2305-4AD4-8F9D-8DA6D70D752B.jpeg

nwpan and Pazzo like this.
  4. Evitzee Apr 3, 2021

Nice watch. Pull the crown out and move the hands back and forth a few times, then firmly push it back in. Then try the pusher. You never know. Failing that you'll have to have Omega sort it out.

5. conant Apr 3, 2021

Gave this a try but no dice on successful results.

6. nwpan Apr 4, 2021

Just curious, do you have a video clip of this? I have this watch too, but I don't have any problems.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 4, 2021

Another poster here had this issue some time ago, and I had a hunch what the issue was, and since his watch had a display back I asked for a clear photo and my hunch was right - the pusher was blocked by a loose screw:

[​IMG]

Your watch doesn't have a display back, so not easy to check, but there aren't many things that will block the pusher from being depressed, so my guess would be the same thing here. You could take it to an Omega boutique that may have a watchmaker on staff, but other than that, you would have to send it in under warranty.

Cheers, Al

Evitzee, w@tcher, scapa and 4 others like this.
  8. conant Apr 4, 2021

Thanks for the on the fly diagnosis @Archer. Curious why I got 2 or 3 starts stops and resets before it got to where it was. It hasn’t even been worn out yet. Also just to pull the thread a bit more, would that jam result in the pusher not having any travel? In my case I have about half the distance of the pusher in travel.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 4, 2021

How much it would travel would depend on the specific screw that may be there.

conant likes this.
  10. conant Apr 4, 2021

Ok got it. The service center for me is definitely a mail in effort to either Culver or Seattle. I’d rather not bring it to an outside watchmaker as it’s clearly under warranty being brand new. A loose screw in the movement sounds scary but is there much risk in wearing and winding the movement for the next couple weeks before sending it out? I was hoping to at least enjoy it for a bit despite the non functioning chrono. Thanks again for the input here. @Archer

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 4, 2021

The screw ( if that’s what the problem is) could move. Could lead to other problems, but really it’s up to you...

conant likes this.