Forums Latest Members

Brand new Speedmaster Moon Watch not Winding

1. Kaehler May 4, 2021

Hi all,

I have recently realised a dream and purchased a brand-new Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch. The piece was working fine for the first 2 weeks however it has since stopped winding all together. I can turn the crown however it recoils straight away. I have taken it back to the dealer who have sent it back to Omega to review and they have completed a factory reset, however, on receiving my piece back, I was only able to turn the crown 20 times before the recoil kicked in which only gave me 23 hours of life and now, I am back to square one with the crown recoiling when I turn it....

Has anyone had this issue before??? Assuming Omega will need to replace it??

Cheers

2. Canuck May 4, 2021

Have you an estimate of the number of degrees the crown recoils? A bit of recoil will happen on all manual wind watches. This feature is incorporated into the design of manual wind watches by use of a “recoil click”. The crown usually will back up about 15° or so when you release the crown. If you are only getting about 20 to 25 hours of run time, I suspect it is likely because you are not winding the crown until it STOPS and won’t turn any more. WIND IT TIGHT!

64Wing likes this.
  3. Cenzo May 4, 2021

I am by no means an expert, but I think they all recoil when they get wound to a certain point. But at that point mine will wind further. When I wind my watch I now go forward and backwards with the crown, so I don't have a recoil when I do that. I try winding back and forth (it only winds the watch on the forward movements) until with normal pressure you can not advance it further. Some people with a new watch tend to be afraid to wind it till fully wound. Try that, and see if it runs for 40+ hours. Good luck.

4. Evitzee May 4, 2021

I guess it has to be restated over and over again regarding manually wound watches......KEEP WINDING IT UNTIL THE CROWN WON'T TURN ANY MORE. Any other indicator such as 'resistance' or 'recoil' is meaningless. Maybe it's normal for relative newbies to be skittish about winding a watch since quartz and automatics have become the standard for many, many watches. They will just have to get over the fear of 'breaking something' with their new expensive toy. Just keep winding the crown until it won't turn anymore, that's the only way you know it is fully wound.

Dan S and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Kaehler May 4, 2021

It does not wind at all. The recoil is about 20-25 degrees.

6. Kaehler May 4, 2021

It kept time for 23 hours before stopping. When it stopped I went to wind the crown and it doesnt wind.... It recoils on every turn?

7. Canuck May 4, 2021

Do you not understand? Disregard the recoil! Wind it about 60 turns or so, until the winding crown does not turn any more! Or better yet, wind your watch 101, go back to the AD and ask someone who knows about manual wind watches, and have them instruct you how to wind a watch. Winding a watch halfway is like only putting half a tank of fuel in your car. You’ll only drive half the distance. Or maybe we are wasting our time trying to help you. Could be you just prefer to fret about your watch,

hronists likes this.
  8. Kaehler May 4, 2021

Mate, the crown wont wind at all. please read what I have written. appreciate you taking the time to provide feedabck however no need to be a dick about it.... Cheers,

curlo, Observer, Motik and 1 other person like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2021

Can you please let us know what a "factory reset" is? Did they do a full service on the watch or give you any information on what was done?

Can you take a video to show us what the crown is actually doing when you wind it forwards?

As has been said, some recoil is completely normal, and the 20 to 25 degrees is not out of the ordinary depending on the watch, as you can see here:

When you wind the crown forwards, do you hear any clicking? What happens if you continue to wind it?

10. Kaehler May 5, 2021

11. Kaehler May 5, 2021

Hi Archer,

The licenced dealer I purchased from sent it back to Omega after 2 weeks of ownership, when it was returned they informed me Omega completed a ‘factory reset” and full service of the watch.

When I turn the crown I hear clicking. Have taken a video however unable to upload to this thread as I don’t have the option available. Your video is exactly the same as what is happening to my watch. The only difference is this is all my watch does. The crown does not move freely at any stage before getting to this.

12. Caliber561 May 5, 2021

If you're winding clockwise and the crown isn't stopping it could be that the mainspring is broken.

Also, you'll probably need to upload that video to youtube and then embed/link it to your post.

13. Dan S May 5, 2021

I can't understand the OP's description at all. Why is he even talking about recoil? Just wind the crown until it won't go any further and reaches a hard stop. Disregard the recoil. It's not relevant.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2021

Your description is very unclear, because you say the crown does not move freely, and you have previously said it won’t wind, but you are able to wind it, hear clicking and observe the crown backing up. This seems contradictory.

What my video shows it a completely normal operation. I can just keep winding until it reaches full wind, so again I can’t really see what the specific issue you have is.

We definitely need a video...