Forums Latest Members

Best way to travel with watches?

1. TheCaptainOfTech Apr 18, 2017

Just curious what are your methods of taking mulitple watches with you. I see some drawbacks with the roll and box. For the roll potential scratching due to the metro bracelet constantly rubbing. For the box the size. Just wanted to know which option should I choose. I need two-three slots for a watch during my trip

2. alam Apr 18, 2017

I have taken up to five watches with me while on travel (one on the wrist) and the others stay close to me in my carry on, in cases like this one--these are simple and sturdy enough to protect the goodies...ebay sourced a few years ago.

IMG_3750.JPG IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3752.JPG
    sah, blacktiger, Tritium and 3 others like this.
  3. TheCaptainOfTech Apr 18, 2017

Do the back of the case and watch strap touch when you use this case? That's my biggest concern when traveling with watches

sah likes this.
  4. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 18, 2017

I use an Oakley Watch Vault that has worked wonders for me. However, it definitely isn't as fancy as the leather carriers and such that others prefer.

Sadly, it looks like it's no longer available on Amazon, but here's a close alternative.

sah likes this.
  5. lillatroll Apr 18, 2017

I have used one of those see through plastic travel zip bags and put them in my carry on bag. That worked fine. Now I have some leather watch rolls and they work fine too. I don't tend to worry about a few scratches here or there. The watch rolls are small and compact and the watches don't move about so not noticed any scratches due to travelling.

sah likes this.
  6. ClarendonVintage Apr 19, 2017

Sorry to interrupt, but I have a question too: do travellers have any problem carrying multiple watches with them in a case through the airport? Would security ask or assume you are a seller who hasn't declared the products?

sah likes this.
  7. micampe Apr 19, 2017

I wrap the bracelet in a microfiber cloth.

sah likes this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 19, 2017

All you need to do is insert something inside the bracelet such that it rests between the case back and bracelet; a folded piece of paper works fine.

sah likes this.
  9. jimmyd13 Apr 19, 2017

sah likes this.
  10. BPD Apr 19, 2017

I usually travel with just one watch, my TAG Heuer Aquaracer. On the rare occasion in which I have to bring another watch, I would put it in this customer service case that I get from TAG Heuer when my watches go out for servicing. It's well padded and nice and compact.

images.jpg

sah likes this.
  11. Willem023 Apr 19, 2017

I travel back and forth between Europe and Africa every other month with 2 extra watches with me in my hand-luggage.
    No issues whatsoever.
    Sometimes the officer asks what is inside, but from the look on their monitor, I can tell they know what is inside the bag....

My 2Ksh

sah and ClarendonVintage like this.
  12. ClarendonVintage Apr 20, 2017

Understood. Have you carried a lot at once?
    I was thinking of carrying 10 watches in my watch box. Wondering if that's ok...

sah likes this.
  13. Willem023 Apr 20, 2017

Nope, as I stated: 2 extra....
    A total of 10 might draw some attention though.
    Any plans.....? :D

sah likes this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 20, 2017

I travel with this hard cylindrical leather case in my hand luggage
    Two up on each pad (reversed)
    Heads wrapped in tissue and pads packed in bubble wrap to stop them jiggling about
    And one on the wrist
    And yes I have had comments from security about the number of watches I'm carrying
    IMG_20151218_193359_hdr.jpg

15. ClarendonVintage Apr 20, 2017

Well, the plan is to carry my collection with me when I am overseas for weeks, to keep myself entertained (and under control) or else i might ended up shopping online again ::facepalm2::::shy::

sah likes this.
  16. NT931 Apr 20, 2017

Quite a few prior threads on this or similar topics:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/watch-storage-travel-cases.56493/#post-697193
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/advice-for-best-travel-roll-case-pouch-bag.37490/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/custom-made-leather-travel-storage-cases.55348/#post-677546
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/travel-case-recommendation.53605/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/discommon-watch-roll.40986/#post-479672

I just bought one of these off ebay Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkbased on one of these threads. I suspect the large sized one can put 2 watches inside, which is helpful for travel and the occasional GTG.

But I usually travel with just 2 watches, so it's one on the wrist, and another in an Oakley watch vault, or less expensive alternatives like thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, or this Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkand thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

Edited Apr 20, 2017
    sah likes this.
  17. sah Sep 12, 2018

Thanks to all, especially with prior discussions (which I could not find in a search). I have some really good choices now. Thanks so much.

18. timestamp Sep 12, 2018

I once was questioned by airport security, not about the watches, but about a Bergeon springbar tool that I forgot to disassemble (which I usually do).

Held it up quizzically: „Now if you have a good explanation for me what THIS is for, you can take it with you“.

19. timestamp Sep 12, 2018

And on topic: I second the watch roll plus soft cloth between watch and bracelet... most versatile solution for packing, and most inconspicuous.

20. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 12, 2018

Mr. Swatch seems to have found a solution...

[​IMG]

staristheanswer likes this.