Forums Latest Members

Watch Storage / Travel Cases

1. wbfondren Apr 18, 2017

Hello all,

I'm looking for some more serious watch storage options now that I have some more valuable pieces.

Does anyone know where I can find the watch cases that auction houses use to store and even ship their watches in? They are usually clear snap cases with a stretchy clear film insert that protects and houses the watch. These would be particularly good for the non-waterproof watches that I have (I live in Texas so the humidity is a problem for their integrity). Or if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I'm also looking for a travel case that can hold 4 watches (and a spring bar + a strap or two) that is fairly compact. I want it to be able to house both watches on straps and on a bracelet.

Thanks!

2. FlyingTiger Apr 18, 2017

wbfondren likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Apr 18, 2017

I bought a number of cheap plastic containers with foam inserts after seeing them recommended by @Alpha - they didn't cost much more than $2 a piece on eBay and I've used them pretty much everytime I send a watch I've sold.

If used as a storage rather than shipping container, I guess that adding a silica gel packet would be a good idea if the climate is very humid.

Honza, TsoloT, billving and 2 others like this.
  4. Tritium Apr 18, 2017

Me too :thumbsup:

IMG_7818.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141591924948Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

mikekchc, SteveB, Audrey and 4 others like this.
  5. wbfondren Apr 18, 2017

If I can't find the one's I'm looking for I'm going to buy those.

But most auction houses use what I'm looking for to send watches. They are clear long cases that allow the watch to be laid flat and the watch sits on a thin film that suspends the watch. They're perfect because they're sealed, completely protect the watch, and you can see what you're grabbing as well. If anyone knows what these cases are please let me know!

6. wbfondren Apr 18, 2017

If you look at the top right of this photo, there are two that have made it in the shot. I'm not at home so I can't picture more, but I want to buy more of these cases!
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.04.10 AM.png

7. Paulomega Apr 18, 2017

Couple of days ago I purchased a watch from a OF member and it was shipped in one of these plastic containers. It was perfect. Great product.

wbfondren likes this.
  8. wbfondren Apr 18, 2017

They are! I really want to find more of these, they are the best I have found anywhere.

9. Rman Apr 18, 2017

Here ya go. Not cheap but I love em too.

https://www.tedpella.com/storage-boxes-bags_html/membrane-boxes.htm

pcdubc, ahartfie and wbfondren like this.
  10. hugo Apr 18, 2017

11. Igora Apr 18, 2017

KingCrouchy and SteveB like this.
  12. Fialetti Apr 20, 2017

13. jfwoodman Apr 20, 2017

Lots of good ideas. Membrane boxes are interesting, but do they offer much protection?

14. wbfondren Apr 20, 2017

They're used by most auction houses to store and show all of their watches. They cover the watch completely supporting all parts with the membrane and don't allow any dust in, and they also provide some shock protection. I think they're great.

15. bigdubnick May 1, 2017

SteveB and Rman like this.
  16. Overgrower May 1, 2017

Phase De Lune makes some nice watch rolls that have separating bumpers.

17. Audrey May 4, 2017

I have made DIY watch cases with storage boxes. A few months back we brought some moving boxes from Burlington to store the kitchen wares and utensils during a house renovation. After the renovation, the kitchen wares and utensils were back to the kitchen and the moving boxes were sent back to the storage area. My mom asked me to dispose of it. But some crazy ideas popped up in my mind that I didn't throw it away. I took a small moving box and covered it with a thick paper. Then I divided the box into 9 cases using a cardboard stripes. I placed 2 cardboard stripes vertically and 2 horizontal. And I got 3 rows and 3 columns in a box. Covered each stripe with a thick paper likewise covered the box. Made nine small cushions using fabric. Wrapped the watch over the cushion and placed it in the box.

18. NT931 May 4, 2017

These are great! I bought some too. They definitely withstand being splashed by water, and they float on water.

I actually went further and tested them by immersing them in water to see if they were waterproof. A few drops leaked in after 30 min, but they were definitely good for the 1st 30 min, submerged in a few inches of water.

Tritium likes this.
  19. Rglaz May 15, 2017

Omega red service case service case.jpg

Ssunnylee24 likes this.
  20. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 15, 2017

Has anyone seen anything similar to the $425 Hodinkee Leather Folio for Ten Watches, or the €272 Bulang & Sons Brown Camo Suede 10 Watch Leather Zip Folder but (much) less expensive?
    BrownFolio-A.jpg
    BrownFolio-B.jpg
    we025-brown_camo_suede_10_watch_leather_zip_folder-c.jpg we025-brown_camo_suede_10_watch_leather_zip_folder-d.jpg
    Thin and holds a lot of watches. I would use more for storage and easy transport than display, so I don't need the high-quality leather or suede with a trendy pattern. It just seems a lot for something that would spend all its time in a bank deposit box.

Alternatively, if anyone has owned either I'd like to hear your experiences. After all I am notoriously weak-willed :D and could be convinced they're worth every penny.

BrownFolio-B.jpg
    Timmert and McJamesT like this.