Forums Latest Members

Benefits of buying from Omega Boutiques and AD

1. rainking Feb 12, 2018

Totally hear what you are saying. In this case we'll just agree to disagree about whether there is any real value in buying from the OB/AD. The reason I say that is, I didn't know much about watches when I got back into them not so long ago. I spent a month or two on forums like this and elsewhere, reading up on the watches that interested me (mostly Omegas), the pros and cons, and just as importantly, the going market price for them and who I could trust to buy from outside of the official OB/AD network. I'm hardly an expert but most of this isn't that complicated, more just common sense. A little research makes it pretty obvious who the sellers are that you can trust. Sounds like you've started to do that as well.

I look at and try on watches in OBs/ADs all the time, I just don't choose to buy from them when I can literally save thousands, not just hundreds, of dollars using sellers who are, as I've said, longtime members of these very forums and who have years and years worth of glowing reviews from experienced buyers and collectors on these forums. Sellers with dealer stamped warranty cards, no less. Sites like chrono24 offer buyer protection as well, so in general I don't personally look at purchasing in this manner as being any kind of risk whatsoever. I'm not throwing any shade at you or anyone else, to be clear. I'm just trying to help others in the same boat who might read this thread in the sense that, you can trust other types of sellers and save yourself boatloads of money. But just because I choose to roll that way doesn't mean anyone else has to, obviously.

Edited Feb 12, 2018
    robinhook and Mtek like this.
  2. Noahsi Feb 13, 2018

I agree completely with the sentiments expressed by rainking above. I too am new to “nice” watches and recently bought my first Omega from a trusted seller on the forums. In my case, for a DSOTM, I saved literally over $4000 from the retail price, not to mention sales tax in NYC. The watch was shipped and arrived today and includes a valid warranty. Perhaps I should hold off till I get home to receive the package before saying more! I did visit a boutique to try on and see the watches in person so there is nothing that says you can’t do that and then buy elsewhere. I too was offered drinks, etc tho I refused as I knew I wouldn’t be buying from them.

I think that ultimately there are multiple levels of buyer, those willing to do more research and legwork prior to pulling the trigger and others that just want to walk into a store and buy a watch. Neither is more right or wrong, but the pricing paid is certainly different, catering to the two types of customers. One other note is it seems that both boutiques in NYC have many Mandarin speaking sales people which leads me to believe these stores cater mainly to tourists buying in America where the prices may be lower? I am not certain how the pricing on Omega’s compares in other parts of the world, but that would be an interesting discussion.

3. Noahsi Feb 13, 2018

I agree completely with the sentiments expressed by rainking above. I too am new to “nice” watches and recently bought my first Omega from a trusted seller on the forums. In my case, for a DSOTM, I saved literally over $4000 from the retail price, not to mention sales tax in NYC. The watch was shipped and arrived today and includes a valid warranty. Perhaps I should hold off till I get home to receive the package before saying more! I did visit a boutique to try on and see the watches in person so there is nothing that says you can’t do that and then buy elsewhere. I too was offered drinks, etc tho I refused as I knew I wouldn’t be buying from them.

I think that ultimately there are multiple levels of buyer, those willing to do more research and legwork prior to pulling the trigger and others that just want to walk into a store and buy a watch. Neither is more right or wrong, but the pricing paid is certainly different, catering to the two types of customers. One other note is it seems that both boutiques in NYC have many Mandarin speaking sales people which leads me to believe these stores cater mainly to tourists buying in America where the prices may be lower? I am not certain how the pricing on Omega’s compares in other parts of the world, but that would be an interesting discussion.

htiek likes this.
  4. gostang9 Feb 13, 2018

It depends on what model someone is buying, how much they know about the brand, how comfortable they are buying online, and in some cases whether it commemorates a ‘special occasion’ where the total buying experience might matter to the individual.

I’ve bought:
    - Rolex Explorer II at the local AD (lower price new in CAD than used in USD)
    - Omega Speedmaster Pro from Chitownwatch (new, best price I could find via gray market)
    - Seiko SNZF from MassDrop online (great price)
    - 1967 Bulova 666 Diver from OF private sales (AD was all out of stock and didn’t even have a waiting list... ;) )

5. rainking Feb 13, 2018

That's essentially exactly what I said.

Some of this is personal opinion. For me, I don't care what the occasion might be. Any watch I can buy for myself new with full package and warranty for thousands less than it would cost me to purchase from an OB/AD, I'll get over not walking into the retail store and not having a glass of "free" champagne while forking over said thousands. I could be a billionaire and I'd do the same thing. A few hundred dollars difference and OK, I get it. Thousands, though? I'll pour myself a glass at home while unboxing the watch I have shipped to me, thank you very much LOL

htiek likes this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 14, 2018

Only once bought from OB. The Ck2998 is an awesome watch. The sales staff is really cool. And they call me if a LE becomes available. They offered me a snoopy (I passed to another OF member) , and a Speedy Tuesday. They also are really good on ordering parts for me and adjusting my bracelets. I suspect they would do the latter even if I never bought.

ckhaing and sensui like this.
  7. chanbar Feb 14, 2018

Bellevue, WA?

8. ckhaing Jul 27, 2021

I used to buy used/vintage/grey market watches. Up until recently the collection gradually reached to about a hundred including about two dozens of omega. One day I stumbled upon local OB and ended up buying a speedmaster pro right away. Since then have been dropping by there every now and then, enjoying a few new releases / LE etc. Again, ended up buying a seamaster 1948 LE. Their sale team is pleasure to deal with.

9. Fatcat Jul 27, 2021

Well you save a ton of money on your buy that’s good, on my side I had only vintage and a couple of new Omegas , during the last 15 years I was in touch with the OB director each time to put some watches for overhault, or meet the OB watchmaker for some adjustment, of course I spent thousands in services , each time coffee, gifts , goodies, etc….. until I bought the 50th anniversary speedy then when I pay the watch I get an excellent lunch paid by Omega and a picture to pass to posterity the fact I bought a new watch ( was really fun) , since then I never stopped the usual business and I will get 2 new watches the SM300 Tokyo and the Snoopy silver that I may receive anyway but this contacts and long history permits to get access to another level , forgot ( golf WE, 2 days to learn watch « manufacturing » , free full services regularly , this lowered the price of the watch buying) at the end a very good contact and deal and benefits of course not so deep than you but close at the end.

vadimo likes this.
  10. PandaSPUR Jul 27, 2021

This bothers me so much. Definitely one of my pet peeves.
    If you have no intention of buying from the physical shop, you shouldnt waste the time of the sales people. Omega and big corporations aside, the sales people are there to make a living. While they're all happy to help whoever walks in, regardless of if they make a purchase, I think its wrong to knowingly waste their time with zero intention to ever* buy.

I have no problem with people wanting to save a few bucks buying from the gray market or buying preowned. But if you're going to go to a physical store and use up people's time, you should buy from them.

Undertaker2, David J and dstfno like this.
  11. vadimo Jul 27, 2021

I would say AD due to discounts.

However it will in my momery forever buying first Omega in their amazing boutique with 2 free caps and lame 3.5% discount although it was the previous Seamaster Pro 300M and it was sold out, they had to get a bloke on scooter to travel to another branch, so we were welcomed to tea and coffee and politely asked to wait.

12. rhr321 Jul 27, 2021

I hope the people saving money by not buying in the boutique, and buying used or grey market etc… are not the same people complaining that they can’t get a Snoopy or complaining Snoopy is going to customers with buying history. The OBs would not exist and their staff would not have jobs if everyone used the OB as a showroom to try on watches and then go buy them elsewhere to save money.

tubeamps and PandaSPUR like this.
  13. vadimo Jul 27, 2021

Maybe some people can't afford retail price and still want genuine watch? There are many reputable used watches businesses that perhaps do have purpose in the watch industry and should be allowed to make some profit too.

14. PandaSPUR Jul 27, 2021

Sure, but those same people shouldnt go to a shop to try on watches and waste peoples' time when they have no intention of ever buying from that shop. Dropping in to chat, build a relationship, and try on watches you plan to buy from the same shop in the future is fine of course. Dropping in out of curiosity and leaving with nothing is also fine. But dropping in when you're planning to buy elsewhere later is unfair to the shop.

15. rhr321 Jul 27, 2021

That is totally fine, it is ok to buy from used watch dealers, private deals, gray market dealers etc.. especially if it saves money and gets you what you want. My issue is with anyone that does this and then complains that they aren’t prioritized for high demand limited production pieces that sell above retail. The people that support boutique and keep them open should get priority on those pieces.

16. Pepe Lucas Jul 27, 2021

I have bought several watches from the Omega boutique in my city. As mentioned before you get little extras here and there but also get invited to special events where you can see newer models and hang out with watch geeks and meet new people.

17. JeremyS Jul 28, 2021

I’ve bought gray, trusted seller, AD and Botique. There are too many variables to list, though this thread gets at most of them. Each vector has merits.

There’s a dark side to these Botiques and some authorized dealers. I’m talking about when a brand gets so much leverage the dealers seem to require or expect a degree of fealty in order to bless you with allowing a purchase at full retail.

I had the good fortune to be in Italy this summer, and saw the Tudor BB 58 bronze when it dropped on instagram. Since we were in Rome the following week, I dropped by the tiny, broom-closet Botique to see if they had one—since it was a “Botique-only” watch. An hour later, and multiple phone calls to “managers,” the store saleswoman said I would be allowed to purchase the “only” one they had. Of course, I really liked the all-bronze 58 and went through with it, but it wasn’t a particularly special moment.

Edited Jul 28, 2021
    Edgeworth likes this.
  18. spaceeman Jul 28, 2021

Woooow. that is an amazing story. Congrats to you good sir!

19. Walrus Jul 28, 2021

Ya I hear you on that. I was considering doing that, going to a boutique to try on something I wanted to order online. Then I was thinking I’m going to eat up the sales person time, he or she would be looking forward to a possible sale. So I decided against it.

when I bought my mundane speedy date I wasn’t real hip on the watch scene and feared getting burned so I used one of those reputable online used watch places. I knew I was paying more but with my lack of knowledge I just felt it was a safe way to go. Gotta be honest my knowledge hasn’t increased much since but I would be more confident buying from an individual now.

I hope someday I can buy something at a AD or boutique I don’t like buying new, like cars and what not you lose so much value off the lot but the one new car I did purchase it was nice knowing I had that warranty and being new all I had to do was turn the key and no worries, except for the 3-4 recalls it was great.

20. PandaSPUR Jul 28, 2021

Heh I know what you mean. Buying a car brand new kinda hurts, but the peace of mind is nice.

For me, my feeling towards cars is kinda similar towards watches.. I have no intention to sell or trade in my car within a few years, so the resale value doesnt bother me as much. To this day, I still have not sold any of my watches and I still have my first car from 6 years ago (28k miles on it so far)

DaveK and Walrus like this.