Forums Latest Members

Noob question about my brand new Aqua Terra 38's date change

1. UCZ_15 Sep 26, 2020

Hi guys,

Got my blue Aqua Terra 38mm this week which was my first ever watch over £500, first ever luxury watch, first ever Swiss watch and first ever Chronometer watch. Lot of milestones got hit!

While I did lots of reading and research and scouring forums/Reddit for knowledge about the Aqua Terra - I am still a noob in this world.

Simple question: at around 11:40pm, my date window got stuck in a sort of... weird 30% switchover. Then at 11:59:40s, my date changed over the other 70% of the way.

Is this normal? I may be mistaken and misinformed but I thought watches at this price range have an instantaneous change at midnight without any progressional sweep of the date wheel. Granted it isn't over 3 hours like my cheap Seikos but still. Do I have anything to be worried about? Is this the way they change on the Co-Axial 8800? I don't know enough about this movement or date changes in luxury watches to be honest, but I don't want to assume - hence the post.

Thanks.

2. UCZ_15 Sep 26, 2020

This is the 30% change I'm talking about. It froze here until 11:59:40sec and then it changed the rest of the way.

IMG-3146.jpg
  3. dstfno Sep 26, 2020

Nothing to worry about, this is normal and most brands have it this way. Rolex has an instant date change but it also doesn't happen at midnight precisely and have be a couple of minutes off. Personally I prefer when it "slides" over to the next day.

Some additional advice, read the manual that came with the watch and follow the instructions when setting the date on your watch. Doing it incorrectly can damage the movement.

All things aside, congrats and enjoy the watch!

4. UCZ_15 Sep 26, 2020

Thank you! Good to hear that it isn't something to worry about. I just read the manual and it said not to change the date between 8pm and 2am and I may have done that when I first got it home and was setting it... I actually can't remember. Either way it is the very last time I'm going to set the date in that period as I know better now.

dstfno likes this.