Authenticity Check Please

Hi guys,

New to the page and trying to get my first vintage omega before the holidays. I have been looking at seamasters and deville’s from the mid to late 60s.

I found this deville that I really like but it’s hard to find the info with the reference number not matching what I could find. The reference says 165.5020. The watches I see with that reference have seamaster annd deville written on it. Any help would be great. Thanks!

-C

IMG_9751.png IMG_9750.jpeg

In 1967 Omega promoted De Ville to its dedicated product line, dropping "Seamaster" in the process. The watch must have been produced after 1967, but you can only roughly confirm that by the movement serial number. Are there photos of the back case and movement? Also sharing the asking price will help in getting opinions.

In 1967 Omega promoted De Ville to its dedicated product line, dropping "Seamaster" in the process. The watch must have been produced after 1967, but you can only roughly confirm that by the movement serial number. Are there photos of the back case and movement? Also sharing the asking price will help in getting opinions.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. He doesn’t have a picture posted from the inside of the case back. But he posts the details here. The price is 1214 usd for reference. Thanks again!
IMG_9752.png

The plated crown should be replaced, as the seller notes. The lugs are quite rounded over from heavy polishing, but other than that I don't see any issues.

There's not many of these for sale to get a good idea. From what I'm seeing, the case should be 9ct gold. If you're wondering, there isn't a lot of gold value. The case is thin and I would guess not more than 15 grams, which puts the gold value at ~300 Euros or less on scrap value. I don't exactly consider the price a bargain.

Just for you to look at options, there's other DeVille references that are more popular. I have a 166.020 myself. These come with all kinds of case materials and dial styles.

Agree with above, the price is pretty strong for a polished case. It might be less in the new year.

Being in a rush to buy a vintage watch usually means you are sacrificing quality and/or price.

If the case is solid 14k, the price is fair, IMO. If it's gold-filled, then the price is at least 2x market value.

There's not many of these for sale to get a good idea. From what I'm seeing, the case should be 9ct gold. If you're wondering, there isn't a lot of gold value. The case is thin and I would guess not more than 15 grams, which puts the gold value at ~300 Euros or less on scrap value. I don't exactly consider the price a bargain.

Just for you to look at options, there's other DeVille references that are more popular. I have a 166.020 myself. These come with all kinds of case materials and dial styles.

Ok thanks for the help!

If the case is solid 14k, the price is fair, IMO. If it's gold-filled, then the price is at least 2x market value.

It’s a solid 9k gold. I have just had a hard time finding solid gold with champagne dial for a decent price.

If you're looking for specific information about that particular DeVille model, it might be helpful to reach out to Omega directly or consult with a trusted watch expert who specializes in vintage Omegas.

Monsanto? Shouldn't such watches be shunned like WWII German collectables? 🙄