Anyone ever had a (successful) claim with Secursus?

I actually don’t think that’s what they want at all, as that, like declaring value of $1, invites the opening and inquisitiveness about what’s in the package…they actually want your package to inconspicuously sail through all postal channels without drawing any interest or attention.
If they don't want you to have the declared value readable for everyone on the package and they don't want it to be in the documents pouch (which is specifically intended for things like customs documents) then where do they want you to have it?

That’s not irrelevant. It’s one of the major points of compliance on you, the person insuring their goods, according to their T&C. Just saying…

Congrats on getting it back.
There is no point there, I say it again, what customs value is declared is not a matter for the insurer, they don't mention anywhere in the T&C that you have to declare an accurate value. They only tell you to not make the value of the item obvious.

I actually don’t think that’s what they want at all, as that, like declaring value of $1, invites the opening and inquisitiveness about what’s in the package…they actually want your package to inconspicuously sail through all postal channels without drawing any interest or attention.
Depending on where you send the package, it will be opened by customs. In my country just about every single package from outside the customs union sent between private individuals gets inspected by customs with little exception.

My point being that Secursus can't possibly expect you to do the impossible: avoiding any customs inspections.

If they don't want you to have the declared value readable

nowhere does it say this 🤨

I think your obligations as the customer are clear (I have sent you the link and made a screenshot), and they are fully in their right to question that you have followed these points. End of story.

nowhere does it say this 🤨

I think your obligations as the customer are clear (I have sent you the link and made a screenshot), and they are fully in their right to question that you have followed these points. End of story.
"there must be no information on the packaging that could be used to deduce the nature nor value of the Items."
I think you need to re-read the T&C's.

End of story.

This is not relevant to the question that was asked, which was "how much" the declared value was, not "was the declared value visible"

Two completely different things that you are somehow conflating.
Precisely.

I think we understand that @Borosilikat is unhappy with Secursus and also has his watch back.

Beyond that, it's getting difficult to see what the ongoing point or benefit of this thread is. The OP's original question still doesn't look like it has been answered:

I would like this thread to be about

PEOPLE WHO HAVE FILED CLAIMS SUCCESSFULLY OR UNSUCCESSFULLY AND HOW IT WENT - NOT ABOUT T&C INTERPRETATION UNLESS THEY ARE RELATED TO THE CLAIM THAT YOU HAVE FILED

altough I kinda knew this was coming 🙄

Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Perhaps we can get back on track ?

last bump before I give up

ANYONE ON OF SUCCESSFULLY FILED A CLAIM?

(please don't rant on T&C or anything else 😁)

Thanks and take care yall!

I don’t think it ever was ‘don’t declare a value anywhere on the package’ more like ‘the value of what’s in the package must not be deduced from the package’.

I can only assume they do that to try and reduce the risk of ‘long fingers’…

So perhaps in this case the value of the claim was 20k, and they wanted to ensure that the guy doing the claim declared something like 40k 😉

Well, way back it was worded quite differently, trust me I was the one who brought it up in the very first thread that the owner started here. He rewrote the T&C's to look more like it is now after that.

But the declared value is none of Securses' business. The only thing they should be concerned with is the insured value. Nothing in their T&C's indicated that these have to be the same, nor should it.

This is not relevant to the question that was asked, which was "how much" the declared value was, not "was the declared value visible"

Two completely different things that you are somehow conflating.

I humbly and sincerely do not believe that I am the one conflating any concepts. But I think a lot of folks ( 😉 ) need to re-read/re-interpret this particular point:

"there must be no information on the packaging that could be used to deduce the nature nor value of the Items. In particular, the packaging must not indicate (non-exclusive list): name or description of the Items; name of a firm; name of a website; any other information that could be used to deduce the nature of the Items; the customs form is not considered as an indication of the value, it should be placed under the airway-bill."

Its pretty common knowledge to anyone who posts anything internationally (including Secursus) that you can't ship international without any form of declaration...

But the declared value is none of Securses' business.

I strongly disagree. How else can they validate that you have actually fulfilled your obligations as stated by the T&C? You are implying they have no right to see if you actually did as you said you would, when you agreed to do these things by taking out the insurance. If I were a customer/claimant, and they asked me this question I would send them the digital version of my customs declaration as opposed to going all '4th amendment' on this point.

If one complied with the first point, all questions regarding how one declared would be answered in the photos as required by the second point in the customers obligations.

"a photograph of the Package as well as of the Package's contents must be taken before each shipment;"

This too is 'part of their business', and something they can ask about (like the first point).

trust me

My mother taught me never to trust strangers, especially not those ones on the internet 😉 Their wording changed, but to my recollection, this particular point (or the implications of it) have not ... trust me 😝

I agree with @SpikiSpikester ...

I humbly and sincerely do not believe that I am the one conflating any concepts. But I think a lot of folks ( 😉 ) need to re-read/re-interpret this particular point:

"there must be no information on the packaging that could be used to deduce the nature nor value of the Items. In particular, the packaging must not indicate (non-exclusive list): name or description of the Items; name of a firm; name of a website; any other information that could be used to deduce the nature of the Items; the customs form is not considered as an indication of the value, it should be placed under the airway-bill."

Its pretty common knowledge to anyone who posts anything internationally (including Secursus) that you can't ship international without any form of declaration...

Yes, I. Well aware of what the requirements for international shipping are. I’m also familiar with how customs and insuring of packages works, because I do it all the time.

If I have to “reinterpret” this, then it’s written pretty poorly, because no where in this “smoking gun” you keep posting as the final word, requires the shipper to tell Secursus what the declared value for customs is. If you believe it does, then please explain where that wording is.

If one complied with the first point, all questions regarding how one declared would be answered in the photos as required by the second point in the customers obligations.

"a photograph of the Package as well as of the Package's contents must be taken before each shipment;"

This too is 'part of their business', and something they can ask about (like the first point).

The photo is supposed to show the air-waybill on top of the customs declaration, so the photo would not show the declared value if the packaging was done as the T&C’s state.

Says nothing about giving them the declared value for customs...

Thats typically what the shipping label is.

Thats typically what the shipping label is.

The customs declaration has to be under the air-waybill per the Secursus T&C’s.

The customs declaration has to be under the air-waybill per the Secursus T&C’s.

😕

The printout (of the digital shipping label, pictured) that’s stuck on the parcel (under whatever) obviously can’t be submitted for a claim (it’s lost no?), but the digital can (and apparently must, which to me is common sense, but apparently only me).

The CN22 is only for low value items so, usually you would use a CN23 and that goes in the little packet for customs. It's stuck on the outside of the package and needs to be opened to be read so, the value is not visible. In the photo you take of the package, no value would be visible at all. You could take a photo of the CN23 before putting it in the packet but that's not the whole story, because...

The customs value is often different to the insured value and it is nothing to do with the insurer, as Al has said. It wouldn't be different if you are selling a watch but, it is when you return a watch after a service, for example. In that case, the receiving country customs are interested in charging duty on the value added during the service - let's say that's €400 and so, the customs declaration essentially shows €400. But the watch may be worth €10000 so it is insured for that.

I'm not quite sure where this discussion is going so, good luck with all of this. It really shouldn't be so unclear that people read different things into the requirements.

Cheers, Chris

😕

The printout (of the digital shipping label, pictured) that’s stuck on the parcel (under whatever) obviously can’t be submitted for a claim (it’s lost no?), but the digital can (and apparently must, which to me is common sense, but apparently only me).

A shipping label is not a customs declaration. I can tell you that the shipping labels I make do not have the declared customs value on them. They have absolutely no value on them at all.

Secursus doesn't want that customs declaration out in the open, which is why they tell you to cover it up with the air-waybill. So taking it a photo of that will certainly not answer all questions about how the package was declared to customs, as you have said.

The bottom line is, the declared value for customs is of no interest to the insurer, unless they are using it to somehow create a loophole where they can refuse paying out on your claim. That appears to be what they were trying to do here based on the description of events given.

A shipping label is not a customs declaration. I can tell you that the shipping labels I make do not have the declared customs value on them. They have absolutely no value on them at all.

The shipping label I sent a picture of is the actual standard here for international shipping. The post office will not accept anything else, and will put such a label on should you try and do it any other way. This apparently (according to the information leaflet I received in the post when they introduced this a few years ago) is the international standard for things throughout the entire world, and was required for e.g. shipping to the US. Its one single shipping label, with name/address/tracking number/CN22/23 customs declaration, that any post office person along the way can scan from the barcode and get all required online information, that one typically does online, at home, and prints out that shipping label (a single page...worth keeping for insurance claims), and is the only thing that needs to be stuck on a parcel.

Perhaps Canada is still a bit behind...

Secursus doesn't want that customs declaration out in the open, which is why they tell you to cover it up with the air-waybill. So taking it a photo of that will certainly not answer all questions about how the package was declared to customs, as you have said.

The bottom line is, the declared value for customs is of no interest to the insurer, unless they are using it to somehow create a loophole where they can refuse paying out on your claim. That appears to be what they were trying to do here based on the description of events given.

The customs declaration, which in most cases is on the package (part of the shipping label) could invalidate the third requirement - it could and does externally allow one to deduce the nature and value of whats in the package, regardless of how it’s hidden or what it’s stuck behind (anybody interested in stealing can open it and have a look). So logically it makes sense that they want to see how it was declared, as per customer obligations. its fully valid and of interest to the insurer, to ensure that you the customer, have read and understood and complied with the obligations you agreed to when taking out the insurance.
Edited:

The shipping label I sent a picture of is the actual standard here for international shipping. The post office will not accept anything else, and will put such a label on should you try and do it any other way.

Perhaps Canada is still a bit behind...

I don't use the post office, and I can assure you FedEx isn't "behind" with regards to how international shipping is done.