Forums Latest Members

Fallen In Love Again......... (a Successful Story In Cleaning Dial)

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

Omega Constellation Deluxe is a vintage watch that you would easily fall in love. That's what happened when I receive this RG Connie Deluxe that Mike pulling effort to make it available for me (thanks mike).

Connie Deluxe RG front 1 LR.jpg
    The only problem as you visually see there are some dirts and lints spread across the dial face. I still love and cherish it anyway.
    A month ago Sumerian starts a thread about less than perfect Grand Luxe dial, which Hoi jumped in and share his experience cleaning it successfully with Windex. I tracked Hoi original article and correspond with him to understand better the method and the risk. Then few weeks ago I also read similar Nick Hacko article about Grand Luxe dial cleaning. The difference: he suggested using only water.

Then I contacted my watchmaker in Bandung about possibility cleaning my RG deluxe dial. He hesitant at first considering the risk and ask me to pending it. What I did not know, he actually tried my suggestion to other customer on non gold dial, cleaning it using Windex. It was so successful that he is now confident to clean my dial.
    Yesterday morning I visited his house and discussed on how the best doing it. I have brought him two different size high quality brushes to be used in the work.
    At first he use only water. It is unsuccesful. Then gradually he adds Windex to the water and after 3 hours meticulous work, he went to show me the result at my hotel.

And boy......I did not know that I could fall in love again to the same watch until that moment.

The dial now is very clean, the fonts and markers are all keep intact. I ask whether the lacquer is peeled in the process, he said he did not think so. So it is possible that the lacquer is still there. Well even if it is peeled I am still very happy.

Here are the before and after pics. Unfortunately it is very hard to catch the real beauty of this watch using my point and shoot Olympus, so pardon the pic quality.

BEFORE:
    Connie Deluxe RG front 1 LR2.jpg

AFTER
    RG connie after cleaning 4 LR.jpg

BEFORE
    Connie RG dial check LR.jpg

AFTER
    RG connie after cleaning 5 close up LR.jpg

BEFORE
    01 Connie RG WRUW LR.jpg

AFTER
    RG connie after cleaning WRUW LR.jpg

MKelley and NT931 like this.
  2. ulackfocus May 17, 2013

Dial measels cured! :thumbsup:

Privateday7 likes this.
  3. pitpro Likes the game. May 17, 2013

You can't win if you don't gamble.
    You won big time.
    Way to go-

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 17, 2013

He who dares wins!

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 17, 2013

Bravo, well done

link?

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

Thanks Mike, without your effort and help, I wouldn't get this in the first place. :thumbsup:

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 17, 2013

I have to say, that's a seriously impressive transformation. Not sure if there's before pics of it but there's a certain date at three stepped SMPP dial that looked pretty crappy in its eBay photos, and after a careful cleaning looks so bright you'd need sunglasses now.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

It is calculated gamble really.....
    Hoi and Nick bot are seasoned watchmaker, so after consulted with them I know the risk is minimal. They know their stuff and their advice are sound. The riskiest part is the font and markers - not the dial itself since gold is already shiny and clean by itself once you remove anything above it.
    That's why I ask my watchmaker which has steadier hand and meticulous detail attention, rather do it myself.

By the end of the day it is this forum who enable such easy knowledge dissemination and consultation that make this kind of effort possible.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

It is what I like about Rosegold, it is less shiny than yellow gold. More understated and less bling-bling. :cool:

11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 17, 2013

Happy to know the result. Congratulations my friend :thumbsup:

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 17, 2013

Thanks of your advice........:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 17, 2013

It depends on the dial more than the colour IMO, there are some Deluxe dials like yours that have a concentric brushed finish on the piepan facets, while some Deluxe's like my 2849 and Steve's RG Constellation have mirror finished facets that are extremely bright

[​IMG]

Privateday7 likes this.
  14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 17, 2013

Ok, here's my RG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

Privateday7 likes this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 17, 2013

I heard no liquids were used in that transformation...

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 17, 2013

Oh really? What was it? :s

17. cristos71 May 18, 2013

Excellent result, I almost want to go looking for a watch with a dirty dial now so I too ( or actually my watchmaker:) ) can put that technique into practice.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 18, 2013

I just know that. For me, mine is already in border of too bling-bling.
    It is so shiny and now my wife take notice.
    I was offered her to use it in the past, but she refused. She is now keen to try it.......

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 18, 2013

Ha...ha.... that's my first reaction, too.

20. woodwkr2 May 18, 2013

So the question is: what formulation of Windex did you use? Around here we can buy Ammonia free (for cleaning the picture frames with UV glass), the old plain blue "Windex", and now some kind of new Eco friendly formulation.

Ive had varying results dial cleaning with dilute oxalic acid and citric acid (lemon juice). Across the board it seems dial cleaning is best reserved for clean dials with discolored/flaking cellulose based laquer.

Did you respray the dial with a laquer or preservative to protect the paint layer?--Something I'be always thought should be done but that is complicated by dial markers, etc that would have to be masked or removed prior to spraying. I've got a hand pump olive oil sprayer that comes out in a vapor mist... Maybe I should experiment on the next re-dial candidates that I pick up.