Forums Latest Members

Anyone ever had a (successful) claim with Secursus?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Oct 27, 2020

Hi all

I started using Secursus a while ago to insure my packages (watches and other hobbies...) when shipping abroad, rather than insuring them with the shipping company, for a variety of reasons. I usually ship international via DHL, and Secursus appears to be the right complementary service to the trustworthy german logistic behemoth. Secursus' website is user-friendly, rates are reasonable, I have talked via IM's on other platforms to Valentin the founder/manager, who is also a member here, is a friendly gentleman, and who also manages a vintage watch shop in Paris - all this helped me trust the service.

However, I have never tested Secursus service where it really matters, i.e. getting the funds for a lost/damaged parcel... Although I have yet to lose a package in years now, I'm thinking that with Covid constraints and all, the likelihood of loss (DHL or others...) is only increasing. So at some point, stuff will happen. I would like to get some reassurance BEFORE this happens that Secursus will cover my back. Hence my question to the community: who has had to file a claim with Secursus and has "gotten his money back"? Because an insurance company is only as good as the service it delivers when things go south... my thinking the very ease of insuring the item at all should not be considered as a KPI, it's a nice-to-have.

To be clear: I have not lost anything (fingers crossed!) yet. I follow the fine prints of the Secursus deal, I double-pack, I take pictures, I can provide proof of the value, etc... I'm not asking to be schooled on the Secursus conditions, I am specifically and only asking people who have activated a claim by Secursus to share their experience.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: had the infamous harry potter manuscript secursus thead been whacked off OF? Can't find it anymore... Edit: I confirme it's been whacked, Zyklus's post proves it: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wat...g-shipping-solution.83160/page-4#post-1426154)

Edited Apr 21, 2021
    Braindrain likes this.
  2. wristpirate Oct 27, 2020

I found one review of a successful claim. It is on TrustPilot

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.secursus.com

Copied from the site below

Peter London

Excellent value transport insurance — that paid me when I made a claim.
    I used Secursus for the first time when I was selling a used iMac on eBay UK. The courier companies were quoting me £50 or more to insure a £695 iMac whilst they transported it; whilst Secursus were just €5 EUR. Yes. €5 EUR. I was a little hesitant to use them, as they were new and based in France, but I went ahead anyway.

Of course, as luck would have it, the iMac was damaged in transit, even though I had purchased a special box to ship it in and packed it well. So I made a claim with Securus, and a very helpful employee called Romain helped me through the process. The result was they paid my claim in full, and I was very happy. I will use them again for sure.

I few things to note:

Pack your items carefully.
    Take lots of photos of your item and the way it has been packed.
    Take photos of the shipping labels and proof of collection etc.
    Ask the recipient to check the item immediately they receive it, so you can be aware of any issue at once, and inform Securus accordingly. Ask them to send you photos of the damage.
    Like any insurance company, Securus had a number of valid questions, and you need to take time to answer these and provide photos etc.
    The process can take some time — it took 4 months from the date of my claim until I was paid. But note that this was at the height of the COVID crisis.
    I was asked to ship the damaged item to France, as Securus now own that item, and this cost me around £17.
    I was paid via a CHAPS payment into my UK bank account, and my bank charged me £6 for this. Perhaps Securus can look at this in the future, as they could have just made a regular bank payment, that within the EU is free.

EDIT: The comment below from Securus is correct. Removing the delays, I would say my payment would have taken around 2 months — which is a reasonable time all things considered.

Reply from Secursus
    22 Aug 2020
    Peter, thank you very much for your honest review.
    It took 4 months indeed, which is a lot longer than what our claims usually take.
    Our team was fully operational during covid, so we're not using this as an excuse.
    It took so long because you had to ship the item back to yourself and then ship it to us.
    In addition, the payment was a little delayed due to a refused first payment.

We will soon have a multi-currency payment system, where you can pay in your own currency. Thanks for sharing this information. We will continue to improve the website.

Kind regards,
    The Secursus Team.

Lonestar and Braindrain like this.
  3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 2, 2020

Thank you @wristpirate - interesting and reassuring indeed, much appreciated.

I don't trust trustpilot as much as I do OF members, so please allow me for one gentle (and likely last) bump so some kind member can hopefully add their experience here :)

anyone? Thanks!

Edited Apr 21, 2021
    rewtare likes this.
  4. jaguar11 Nov 2, 2020

Do make sure you have solid evidence that you own bought the item (or how it came in to your legal possession
    ). I wanted to cover my 105.003 Speedmaster which I bought in the 90's and before I had even used the Internet and of course have no actual proof of purchase (I was not thinking 2020 at the time!!) and have long since lost the receipt. They were very clear about this when I questioned them and specifically said I need "proof of purchase".

5. Gui13250 Nov 2, 2020

Does that mean that you need the previous receipt of purchase? I mean, does the bank transfer you received from the guy who bought you the watch is not a proof of value?

To be clear: I’m about to buy a watch to a guy who own it since 20 years and does not have any receipt. If I send him a bank transfer before he send me the watch, does this bank transfer will be Ok for secursus to insure the watch at the price I bought it? Or will they say we want a proof that the previous owner bought it ?

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 2, 2020

I can't see that in their T&C's.

upload_2020-11-2_11-17-25.png

The way I understand it is, if you sell your Ed White to me, for $5, and you ship it to me, then I am the 'client' and a dated certificate of sale between you and I is all that is needed if the watch does not arrive at my home, as well as the proof that I paid you $5 for it...(edit : naturally all pics and other things...but they don’t care about the history of the watch, ie where you bought it from, it’s just the current transaction).

As always, I am happy to stand corrected to all the terms and conditions that may come into effect that I may have overlooked!

Edited Nov 2, 2020
    blubarb, Lonestar and Gui13250 like this.
  7. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 2, 2020

Agree with @eugeneandresson here (as often, unless he calls my watches #junk :D), this is also how Valentin had explained it here in the now-whacked thread. Also appears to be common sense, although with insurers, you never know what can be used against you...

Having said that, I would like this thread to be about

PEOPLE WHO HAVE FILED CLAIMS SUCCESSFULLY OR UNSUCCESSFULLY AND HOW IT WENT - NOT ABOUT T&C INTERPRETATION UNLESS THEY ARE RELATED TO THE CLAIM THAT YOU HAVE FILED

altough I kinda knew this was coming :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Edited Apr 21, 2021
    Gui13250 likes this.
  8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 27, 2020

last bump before I give up

ANYONE ON OF SUCCESSFULLY FILED A CLAIM?

(please don't rant on T&C or anything else :D)

Thanks and take care yall!

Edited Apr 21, 2021
    Gui13250 likes this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 28, 2020

Lonestar likes this.
  10. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 28, 2020

I will let you know. I have an open pending claim. Fingers crossed...

Gui13250, Lonestar, Eve and 2 others like this.
  11. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 28, 2020

Good luck Andy...

Sorry you have to be the guineapig for us....

Please keep us posted.

Andy K likes this.
  12. VersusTime Jan 5, 2021

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I just found this topic, otherwise I would have replied earlier.

Regarding our Trustpilot reviews: We always ask our customers who have had a successful claim to write a review. I would say we get a review 20% of the time. Unfortunately, we cannot force anyone to write something.
    All 39 reviews are real and 80% of them are from successful complaints.
    We have had very few refused claims (less than 5%) in the last 2/3 years (Secursus started in September 2018).

@Andy K I'm monitoring your claim very closely with Romain (customer support) and we'll make sure to help you out as best as we can.
    Maybe we can discuss this later when the claim is finalized?
    Also, I really appreciate your patience as the end of the year was tough. We have 145 open claims right now.

- Valentin

Lancaster, Eve, Lonestar and 3 others like this.
  13. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 5, 2021

Well, my watch finally reappeared in the system and was delivered to the buyer this week. The watch was fine upon inspection, so my claim is closed. Not sure if you call the claim successful but I would insure with Secursus again.

14. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 6, 2021

Thanks Andy for sharing your experience and we're happy that you could get your watch back!!!

It doesn't quite count as a successful claim indeed but what matters is that the package was recovered

Andy K likes this.
  15. YY77 Feb 6, 2021

If they have a 100% recovery rate, so seller and buyer are happy and 0% claims paid out that's way to go IMO.::rimshot::

16. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 6, 2021

Indeed - the question is, this "way to go", is it for the shipper - or the insurer?

In any case that's great news for our friend Andy :)

17. YY77 Feb 6, 2021

Yeah you can look at it both ways, if the insurer keeps this up rates may increase with sellers getting more confident in using them.

18. Shabbaz Feb 15, 2021

So a couple of weeks ago I sold a watch to a dealer in Germany. I used DHL for shipment and I insured the watch for eur 5200. I gave the package to a DHL pick up point and the next day DHL called me to ask me to pick up the watch at the airport. DHL said they run the package through the scanner and once they saw it was a watch they refused to ship it because of the risk of theft. I said to the dealer I could'nt ship the watch to Germany and that was that. Deal over.

Then I threw the watch on chrono and within one week I sold the watch for 1k more. Nice bonus. But again to somebody in Germany. This time I used secursus and I must say it was real simple. The watch was delivered without any problems and the money was wired by chrono. Still, I'm curious how secursus would handle a claim. But it seems to be a great solution.

Lancaster, Mark020 and WatchCor like this.
  19. VersusTime Mar 1, 2021

Hi!

I'm glad to hear your review.

As a retired watch dealer (and now collector), shipping a watch has always been a big issue for me. That's why we launched Secursus.
    I use Secursus myself when I need to ship a watch. As it's our insurer who takes the final decision, it's not an issue.

I can only advise you to check our "shipping instructions" which explain exactly how you should ship and what not to do.
    When these conditions are met (currently they are 95% of the time), you will receive compensation.
    I believe the key is to inform the customers AND the recipients of the full shipping instructions so when there is a claim, we get all the needed documents.

Should you have any concerns, please email me : [email protected]

Lancaster and Mark020 like this.
  20. Shabbaz Mar 1, 2021

Yes. I did read the shipping instructions and I followed these. It was real simple. The only thing I did'nt have was the emailadres of the recipient at the time of insuring the shipment. I think the system of secursus asks to fill this in but it's not obligated. You can continue with the 'application' without the emailadres of the recipient. If the shipment gets lost and you start a claim, would it be a problem that you did'nt fill in the emailadres of the recipient immideatly? Can you give this afterwards?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.