Anyone ever had a (successful) claim with Secursus?

As a left wing insurance company hater I must admit I was wrong (or secursus changed this after this thread). But the 14 days period is mentioned on their homepage...

You're an attorney right. Don't you think it's confusing?

In one place it says "if your parcel has not been delivered within 14 days, please send us an email to open a claim."

And then elsewhere it says "You must then send your complaint to Secursus no later than 14 days after the original withdrawal date of the parcel."

The first makes it sound like you can't open a claim until the parcel is 14 days late, and says nothing about how much time you have to file the claim. The second suggests that 14 days is the latest you can make a claim. How to reconcile the two? Oh, I guess you are required to make a claim exactly 14 days after the package was supposed to be delivered, no earlier and no later, or your claim might be denied. 😕

It’s an unnecessary complication - and while I do understand insurance companies operate differently, depending on the country for example, this still raises a red flag for me.

If it was 14 days after you’ve become aware that a parcel might be missing it’d be something else.

I’ve had this with a rental car insurance: My credit card (AmEx) covers them and the T&C state I have to file a claim within 14 days of becoming aware of an incident that triggers the insurance. A couple of years ago, a tram ran through the opened door of my rental - police was called to the scene and declared that the driver of the tram was at fault as the door had been open for a couple of minutes and was well in sight. So I didn’t file a claim. Almost three years later the rental company got in touch, asking for ~3k €. The total damage was twice that but the lawyers of the city that operated the tram saw most of the fault at my end, threatening with a law suit. City and rental company went back and forth for those years and in the end, the rental company decided to just accept the offer of going 50/50, forwarding half the damage to me. When I got in touch with the insurance provider of AmEx they accepted that, since the police didn’t consider the accident to be my fault, I hadn’t been aware of a possible insurance claim at that point but only when the letter arrived almost three years later, asking for money. That’s when my 14 day period started, I was well within it when I filed the claim, so they paid.

Lengthy example, I know, but I hope it shows what I mean: An international parcel can easily take longer than two weeks, it can even be somewhere for two weeks without shipment updates without it being lost. It’d make sense to me if I could file a claim once I’ve become aware of a lost parcel, through a notification from the courier for example. But 14 days after shipment is a rule that’s, excuse my French, is just BS in my book.

Don't you think it's confusing?😕
I do. But if you read through the site I think it's quite clear what you need to do if the package is not delivered within 14 days. My concern is more that people are not aware and do not read the small letters (as we say in the Netherlands). It's not the most logical thing from the point of view of the consumer. I did'nt read those either and I've used secursus before without knowing the 14 days period. Normally you file a claim from the moment you have damage. And that's not always the case if the package is not delivered within 14 days. At the other hand secursus tries to control the risk as good as it can by demanding people to use swift shipment and that's understandable. And they communicate this quite clear on their site. All in all, I still think secursus could try harder to communicate the 14 days period. But to say they are deliberately cheating is a bridge too far.

Was personally thinking of using Secursus myself, went on their trustpilot page and saw the latest review and subsequent response by Secursus which I think is slightly worrying, anybody knows the legal complexities enough to say who is in the right and who is wrong? If Secursus is right, it seems that they are not able to cover watches that sell above list price, ie many Rolex, Patek, AP etc. Link

Was personally thinking of using Secursus myself, went on their trustpilot page and saw the latest review and subsequent response by Secursus which I think is slightly worrying, anybody knows the legal complexities enough to say who is in the right and who is wrong? If Secursus is right, it seems that they are not able to cover watches that sell above list price, ie many Rolex, Patek, AP etc. Link
You should note that that the reviewer has 4 reviews and they are all one star as they are always unhappy with the service. It may be that they only post a review when they're unhappy but it doesn't inspire confidence that they are a reviewer to rely on.

Interesting quote from Secursus there:
As Marie explained to you, Secursus (and our insurer) does not provide insurance to clients who perform hidden work or are related to tax fraud.

Buying brand new items and selling them online with a profit, without charging VAT and without having an official registered business is considered as an illegal trading activity. This obviously also applies in the UK.

Accusations of tax fraud is not something I would usually bandy about...

And buying new items then selling for a higher value seems to be capitalism, surely? I am pretty sure that this is not illegal in UK and not sure how it could be enforced. I have no idea whether the seller was paying VAT on their profit and running a business but that would be hard to work out - perhaps Secursus made an investigation and proved that this person was committing tax fraud but, that wouldn't be easy.

In UK, if you are not VAT registered because your turnover is under a particular limit, then you buy an item and pay the VAT on that. After you sell it, there is no need to pay VAT on your selling price as you didn't reclaim the VAT from the purchase because you weren't VAT registered. You still declare your profit to the tax authorities and pay income tax on that.

Good luck, Chris

The response from Secursus seems to be complete nonsense IMO. They apparently think making a profit is illegal? Seriously that's crazy stuff, and how would they know about VAT issues? Not a good look on them certainly.

The response from Secursus seems to be complete nonsense IMO. They apparently think making a profit is illegal? Seriously that's crazy stuff, and how would they know about VAT issues? Not a good look on them certainly.

Agreed Chris and Archer, as I mentioned I was considering using their services soon, now not so much... Am not interested in using a service which is quick to accuse their clients of criminal wrongdoing.

Interesting quote from Secursus there:
As Marie explained to you, Secursus (and our insurer) does not provide insurance to clients who perform hidden work or are related to tax fraud.

Buying brand new items and selling them online with a profit, without charging VAT and without having an official registered business is considered as an illegal trading activity. This obviously also applies in the UK.

Good luck, Chris

Bet they would take your money for the insurance, just not pay out….

But that is legal apparently 😗

Apart from Parcelpro (who do not give out accounts to regular Joes…I know, I tried) are there any other viable alternatives? AFAIK there are none.

Apart from Parcelpro (who do not give out accounts to regular Joes…I know, I tried) are there any other viable alternatives? AFAIK there are none.
That's the problem. Maybe we as OF should start a company! Or our own private OF insurance. Like we have in the Netherlands for lawyers. A bread fund in case of incapacitated for work. You take 100 people. One gets sick. The other 99 pay for 12 months a certain amount to the sick one.

That's the problem. Maybe we as OF should start a company! Or our own private OF insurance. Like we have in the Netherlands for lawyers. A bread fund in case of incapacitated for work. You take 100 people. One gets sick. The other 99 pay for 12 months a certain amount to the sick one.

That’s kind of how insurance here works as well. But imho only good for a country of generally speaking honest citizens. An OF insurance could be based on vetted members who are known to deal and transact with integrity 😀

That’s kind of how insurance here works as well. But imho only good for a country of generally speaking honest citizens. An OF insurance could be based on vetted members who are known to deal and transact with integrity 😀

There is a similar thing through another forum I'm a member of. Insurance is done via a company called "Flagship" and the members of the forum are "vetted" by the forum owner, and pay a selling fee to the forum owner (this also allows you to sell there) in order to get access to the insurance program.

This is the company - no idea who the actual insurer is though:

Canada Shipping & Courier Services | Discounted Rates | FlagShip Courier (flagshipcompany.com)

Have people tried contacting their homeowner's or renters insurance, to see if they would cover items in transit? I know a few of my customers have said that they were able to do this when sending watches to me.

Cheers, Al

Have people tried contacting their homeowner's or renters insurance, to see if they would cover items in transit?
I use Chubb through Hodinkee and they cover this. I sold a Rolex 14060 on here and before even listing it, I contacted them to see if they would cover insurance when shipping it to the buyer. Their response was:
Edit-typos
Edited:

We still don't have a success story on OF... I know the bad news surface easier than the good ones, but still...

The "we don't cover illegal activities when the claims come to us but we're happy to still have you pay for insurance" reminds me of drug barons and illegal sex industry moguls still having to pay taxes...

Once again, Secursus does not come out looking good. Indeed, it looks like they are trying to identify any possible technicality to avoid paying a claim, even if it involves assumptions and speculation. Wild accusations about tax fraud, needing a business license to sell a watch at a profit, etc.
Edited:

Solution is easy. Stop buying and selling watches 🤪

tumblr_pukmf7WJYt1uphxvgo1_500.gif