Any info appreciated

I inherited my dads watch years ago and don't know much about it. He bought it in Aug 1968. Here is a picture and some info on a card that reads ja-6100 #21220236..movement?

#1035 bracelet with 630 ends
Edited:

Wanna sell it for $10? If I were you I'd sell it to me for $11 but seriously, go to an actual Omega Dealer and have them send it to wherever Omega has there technicians ( Rolex has them in Texas and New York ) to authenticate the watch and do a full service on the watch. This may cost you upwards of $500 or more, but if it's authenticated and freshly serviced it can be something you can pass down to your children. If you just want to know how much it's worth or what it is, it's an Omega Constellation and it's worth $10 : )

That's just a lovely Constellation. Not sure of the reference; seems likely a 167.005 (which'd have a caliber 551 inside). It looks to be a great example, and the bracelet's pretty stellar as well.

Do NOT send it to Omega. Omega unfortunately often does not respect vintage watches.

Serial number dates to ca 1964.

If you intend to wear have it serviced by an independent watchmaker versed in vintage watches. DO NOT have the case or bracelet polished.

Great looking watch with a fairly uncommon dial and bracelet, which is worth more than the watch head itself.

Wanna sell it for $10? If I were you I'd sell it to me for $11 but seriously, go to an actual Omega Dealer and have them send it to wherever Omega has there technicians ( Rolex has them in Texas and New York ) to authenticate the watch and do a full service on the watch. This may cost you upwards of $500 or more, but if it's authenticated and freshly serviced it can be something you can pass down to your children. If you just want to know how much it's worth or what it is, it's an Omega Constellation and it's worth $10 : )

IMO that is bad advice - this watch does not need any authentication by Omega - the experts on OF can do this easily for you.

Have it opened by a versed watchmaker and post pictures of movement and inner case back here on OF and you will receive the information you need.
And as already mentioned by @X350 XJR do NOT send it to Omega - it will cost you a lot and there is the risk that they replace parts or polish the case which will considerably lower the value of the watch.
Have it serviced by an independent WM and have the wrong crown replaced then you will have a reliable heirloom which will bring you joy for decades to come.

IMO that is bad advice - this watch does not need any authentication by Omega - the experts on OF can do this easily for you.

Have it opened by a versed watchmaker and post pictures of movement and inner case back here on OF and you will receive the information you need.
And as already mentioned by @X350 XJR do NOT send it to Omega - it will cost you a lot and there is the risk that they replace parts or polish the case which will considerably lower the value of the watch.
Have it serviced by an independent WM and have the wrong crown replaced then you will have a reliable heirloom which will bring you joy for decades to come.

Does it have the wrong crown?

Do NOT send it to Omega. Omega unfortunately often does not respect vintage watches.

Serial number dates to ca 1964.

If you intend to wear have it serviced by an independent watchmaker versed in vintage watches. DO NOT have the case or bracelet polished.

Great looking watch with a fairly uncommon dial and bracelet, which is worth more than the watch head itself.

I appreciate your comment on the polishing because i had scheduled it to be done and cancelled it.

Just remember, it can always be polished, but it can't be unpolished.

A metaphor RE polishing that may help you to scope the opinions here:

If you’d inherited instead a 68 Mustang from your father, with its original paint job that looks great from 10’, but from 2’ you can see every little nick your dad put on it ... then having it “polished” would be like having the 68 stripped and repainted.

Now, some people might choose to strip and repaint, and it’s their car, so...

But for most around here, we’ll take a 10’ original paint job all day long (and for related reasons, it will be more valuable, collectible-wise).

Lovely watch.

Agree, no authentication is needed. It’s a genuine Constellation with a replaced crown but a valuable bracelet.

A good independent watchmaker will be able to service this so you can use it either for daily wear (although it almost certainly won’t have much in the way of water resistance) or on special occasions.

Welcome @Geryur

As above, nice watch.
It’s a167.005, dogleg, dome dial, with unusual Arabic quarter indices.
The movement will be a cal 551.

oddly enough it does have a valuable bracelet (some collectors like to pair this style of bracelet with more valuable vintage watches)

The crown should be decagonal but they are no longer available new I’m afraid.

if you are going to wear the watch do get it serviced - if you let us know whereabouts in the world you are you may get some recommendations for a watchmaker.
Edited:

A metaphor RE polishing that may help you to scope the opinions here:

If you’d inherited instead a 68 Mustang from your father, with its original paint job that looks great from 10’, but from 2’ you can see every little nick your dad put on it ... then having it “polished” would be like having the 68 stripped and repainted.

Now, some people might choose to strip and repaint, and it’s their car, so...

But for most around here, we’ll take a 10’ original paint job all day long (and for related reasons, it will be more valuable, collectible-wise).

I get the visual reference to its age and the idea of originality but I’ve never really liked the comparison to vintage cars.

However, to carry on the metaphor for a moment.
Polishing a watch is not just like replacing the paint - it’s more like removing the wings on your 58 Mustang and having the beautiful lines and folds beaten round and then replacing them plus a new paint job.
It’s basically the same car but looks nothing like it should.

Yeah as said above it would be a shame to remove those beautiful chamfered edges on the dog legs which define this case model. The correct crown is the decagonal one but there are some variations so do your research prior to ordering one because they are a bit costly but are worth it and change the appearance of the watch! Thats a nice connie !👍

Agree do not send it to Omega Service, only a great local watchmaker (who is an expert in vintage omega watches)
But we cant tell you what you have to do 😉

😜

I feel obligated to point out that a proper case restoration would do no harm.

Tom why say this? A case "restoration" will indeed harm the historical as-his-dad-wore-it condition of this particular watch. It is an heirloom. He didn't buy it at a pawn shop.

Tom why say this? A case "restoration" will indeed harm the historical as-his-dad-wore-it condition of this particular watch. It is an heirloom. He didn't buy it at a pawn shop.
Once again, divergent views. I have my father's watch that he wore almost every day since 1960 until he gave it to me a couple of years ago. I had it properly restored, including polishing the case and I was very happy with it. The dial isn't perfect, but he always insisted it not be refinished and therefore I will not, nor replace it with a donor dial. I do not have it on the Speidel bracelet he wore it on, though I did keep it.

But as I said a proper case restoration, not some hack with a buffing wheel.

It's his watch, he can do whatever he wants with it. I somewhat resent the efforts to force me into the orthodoxy, by the way. I get the collector viewpoint to a certain extent, but people shouldn't feel hammered into thinking the perspective they receive here is necessarily the correct or only perspective.

I somewhat resent the efforts to force me into the orthodoxy, by the way.

You seem to take offence on practically every different opinion lately. No one is "forcing" you into anything. You do however have some fairly rigid viewpoints concerning how watches are maintained...

I only got a short explanation but machines and fixtures to hold cases to do brushed and polished finishes in a controlled manner instead of freehand, is my understanding.

And, he has a delicate touch. That 166.010 stainless case was previously refinished what appeared to be freehand and he's restored the curved sides that originally came on that version of the case so that it looks factory-produced. He was also able to reduce the effect of years of battering without losing any sharp edges. It was not and could not be a perfect job but it is substantially better than it was, and I can't wait to see the complete watch with refinished beads of rice bracelet when he has the movement finished.

It's been a few years since I went through the polishing training with Rolex, but at that time there weren't any special machines involved. Just a variable speed polishing motor (a Ray Foster was their preferred brand), various buffs (Artifex, hard felt, unstitched cotton, and Bufflex for satin finishing), and Rolex does use Menzerna compounds that are specifically formulated for them, but those are commercially available as well.

There are some specific fixtures for very specific tasks, for example refinishing of Yacht Master bezels, but not for cases generally. The case work was all done by hand.

You seem to take offence on practically every different opinion lately. No one is "forcing" you into anything. You do however have some fairly rigid viewpoints concerning how watches are maintained...
Yes, if you use them, service them. If they were water resistant to begin with, at least try to maintain that. Worn movement parts are to be upgraded or replaced. Cosmetics to be improved if possible.

I do respect other people wanting something different, even if I don't agree with it or understand it. But my number one concern is that people don't feel forced to do things with their own property contrary to their desires because some collector cares about the value of a watch he'll never own.