Forums Latest Members

Just inherited my Grandad's 18 Carat gold Omega, all info appreciated!

1. alorimer82 Sep 4, 2016

Hi everyone, my Mum passed on my Grandad's 18 Carat gold Omega yesterday. Can anyone help with what model it is and rough age? Feels like it has a bumper movement inside. Thanks.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    mozartman, Giff2577 and heavenscloud like this.
  2. François Pépin Sep 4, 2016

Hi,

It is a French cased watch (as indicate the eagle, the French hallmark for 18K gold, and the "fab. suisse"). So no reference for this watch.

We will need pictures of the movement for other info.

JimInOz likes this.
  3. soybeanwatch Sep 5, 2016

Absolutes... take to a trusted watchmaker or jeweler to carefully have the caseback removed and as mentioned will give a lot more info. I recently inherited a bumper and searched thick and thin for info. Removing the caseback initially would have saved me so much time =)

4. dwndler Sep 5, 2016

I would guess the age to (very) late 40's or most likely to early 50's if the movement is a bumper automatic. Also another hint of the "French connection" i s a "fab. suisse" written under the automatic (and means swiss made I guess), as I read somewhere here that it was made for French market.

5. François Pépin Sep 5, 2016

Yes, "fab. suisse" = fabrication suisse = Suiss made.

6. alorimer82 Sep 10, 2016

Hi all, sorry for the slow response but I've not been notified of any responses!

It is indeed French, my Grandad was a chief of police in Tunisia and this was given to him as a present by the head of the Jewish community for his help after the war.

Movement is a Calibre 354, 1950-52.

Cyril from The Watch Service Centre Ltd gave it a service, clean, new plexiglass and hairspring.

Received it back today and I'm over the moon with it!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    0uss, ahartfie, mozartman and 4 others like this.
  7. novina Sep 10, 2016

Beautiful watch with a great history. Keep it serviced and it will last to pass on to your children and grand children. Write down its history somewhere so it is always remembered as your grandfather's watch.

Edited Sep 10, 2016
    alorimer82 likes this.
  8. alorimer82 Sep 10, 2016

Thanks Novina, that's a really good idea, I'll do that for sure.