Anti Reflective coatings on the outside of Omega watches is disappearing.

The anti reflective coatings on the outside of Omega watches looks like it is getting phased out. All the newer models are having the AR coating only on the inside, which to me makes more sense. The outside gets scratched and I don't sees a big benefit to having it on both sides. Sure in the began it looks good, but overtime the scratches start to show and it then takes away from the little benefits it creates. I have a 3861 Speedmaster and the coating is only inside. I don't see the draw back to this compared to it's double sided cousins. Maybe it gets a little more reflection compared to say a Seamaster, but once the scratches start to show the benefit is certainly not worth that little extra anti reflection you get and I guess Omega agrees because it is getting phased out with each new model release.

Like 1
It would generally be considered good practice to either name your source of information or at least provide some evidence you assertion is true. (Web site, press, etc.). Without that it is just second hand rumour and gossip.

Like 2
Their uncle told them...

Like 1
Omega agrees because it is getting phased out with each new model release
This one got released recently so contradicts your statement:
Screenshot_20240706-222645.png

Screenshot_20240706-222343.png

Like 4
Seems like someone is confusing the old AR on the outside that they stopped using over a decade ago that would scratch off.

Omega clearly has a very durable external AR and a great inner AR.

Like 2
I think generally the Seamasters have coating on both sides, but Speedmasters usually don’t . I don’t think this is new. There are probably exceptions, but I think this is usually the case.

I have a 3861 Speedmaster and the coating is only inside.

This isn't a significant point of proof, the prior 1863 does not have external AR either.

I think generally the Seamasters have coating on both sides, but Speedmasters usually don’t . I don’t think this is new. There are probably exceptions, but I think this is usually the case.

More or less. The "heritage" lines generally are inside AR only.

Like 1
It would generally be considered good practice to either name your source of information or at least provide some evidence you assertion is true. (Web site, press, etc.). Without that it is just second hand rumour and gossip.
Fair enough. Omega.ca is the source. Go to the website and look at their Seamaster Diver 300 M for an example. All of the watches are AR coating on both sides except the James Bond 60th Anniversary and the Titanium 007. They are only on the inside. Look under technical data for this information. Also check the Speedmaster watch. The new 2021 moonwatch has AR coating only on the inside but the Silver Snoopy as it on both sides. These are just a few. However, this maybe a coincidence because I did see some De Villes with AR coating on the inside. Any thoughts

Seems like someone is confusing the old AR on the outside that they stopped using over a decade ago that would scratch off.

Omega clearly has a very durable external AR and a great inner AR.

Your original post read 1863 and the link you provided is to the 1863, which is anti-reflective coating on the inside only. I'm looking at mine right now.

I don't know if there are any 1861 sapphires that have AR on both sides, there might be. Omega isn't completely consistent with which watches due and do not have AR, and they may very well be moving away from it (which wouldn't bug me), but the brand new aquaterra released in 2024 that someone mentioned earlier seems to be a point of disproof.

Generally, if Omega is trying to make it look vintage, there's no external AR, and if it's "modern-looking," it has both. Generally.

Like 1
Your original post read 1863 and the link you provided is to the 1863, which is anti-reflective coating on the inside only. I'm looking at mine right now.

I don't know if there are any 1861 sapphires that have AR on both sides, there might be. Omega isn't completely consistent with which watches due and do not have AR, and they may very well be moving away from it (which wouldn't bug me), but the brand new aquaterra released in 2024 that someone mentioned earlier seems to be a point of disproof.

Generally, if Omega is trying to make it look vintage, there's no external AR, and if it's "modern-looking," it has both. Generally.
Because I'm interested in one of three watches right now. Speedmaster moonphase, seamaster 300m( not a fan of the bracelet but like the rubber) and the planet ocean 600m. All have AR coating both sides. Now for the record since I brought my 3861 sapphire sandwich I fell in love with this brand. Before I didn't believe there were any other watches other than Rolex and I have a GMT 116710ln and I love this watch. Also, if it wasn't for Rolex making it impossible for me to buy another Rolex I would have never discovered Omega. Now I am so glad I couldn't buy another Rolex. The moonwatch is heart stopping. So now I'm Omega's latest mega fan. However I'm afraid of this AR coating issue, but love the three mentioned watches. Can you tell me from any of the watches you own with double AR coating was it ever an issues?

Curious if you have looked at the 3575.20. It is a slightly older Speedmaster moonphase- early 2000s- sapphire Crystal with inside AR only. It's absolutely beautiful.

There's also the 345.0809. But, that's a vintage piece and can be fairly expensive (but worth it) and AR isn't even an issue there. Worth a look though if you really want to go down the rabbit hole.

To answer your question, I've managed to own watches that either don't have exterior AR or are acrylic crystals. The latter is incredibly easy to fix with polywatch so the scratches are not any sort of a concern. If I did get a watch with an exterior AR and it got badly scratched I think I eventually would just buff off the outside AR myself and not worry about whether it got scratches.

Like 1
The new 2021 moonwatch has AR coating only on the inside but the Silver Snoopy as it on both sides.

Note that Omega is not consistent in case of Snoopy 3. The website said the front crystal has AR both sides, but the book comes with the watch said that only one side:

IMG_7125.png IMG_7123.jpeg

Interestingly, I asked @Archer for help, and realizing that the crystal is being used for Snoopy 3 is the same with regular 3861 Moonwatch:

Front crystal -
062SNZ013177 | GLASS SAPPHIRE AR1F MET 34.2

And Omega said that 3861 Moonwatch have AR inside. But look at the part number description, I am assuming that the "F" in "AR1F" means "Front", aka AR outside instead of inside (just a guess).

I owned a 3861 sapphire months ago, and in my experience, it does have AR inside, because I once made a contact with a door, and something sticks on the crystal surface. Then I cleaned the crystal surface very hardly, using cleaner liquid. The crystal then looks clean again, without any sight of scratches (I did use a loupe to check the crystal before and after cleaning).

Any insights/ideas for this?

(So sorry the OP if this comment hijacks your questions)

For more information, the Apollo 11 50th steel have consistent information, both Omega website and the book comes with the watch state that it has AR coating on both side.

It seems like my Seamaster 300m has got it first scratch on the AR this last weekend after over two years. Perhaps my external AR might disappear in the future.