Forums Latest Members
  1. Shihab Dec 21, 2017

Hi , i wanted to ask , is it normal that the watch crystal gets scratched as in the below picture? Is this a scratch in the AR coating or is it in the crystal it self and should i get it checked by omega or its a normal usage issue? The watch is the new seamaster planet ocean master chronomter 8900, 43.5 mm.

Thanks

20171221_171636.png
  2. Canuck Dec 21, 2017

For just about everything there is to know on the topic, use the search function (magnifying glass in the header above), and type in “scratched A/R coating on sapphire crystal”, and you will discover that this is a frequent concern. If you still have questions, re-open this thread and ask away.

3. Shihab Dec 21, 2017

Yea of course the search option (magnifying glass) is very obvious and has the same functionality in all websites, however that was not my concern, my aim was to hear about similar experience from owners of similar new models if they faced the same issue for a watch that has been used for almost 1 year.

Thanks for ur comment though

4. Canuck Dec 21, 2017

There were numerous threads posted by people who have had exactly the same experience that you have had. Oh well!

NT931 likes this.
  5. Meme-Dweller Dec 21, 2017

Don't be a dick.

OP, see if you can wipe it off with a damp microfiber cloth. If not, it very likely is damage to the AR. I had a scratch on my Dark Side of the Moon within the first week and it sucked! Omega will not warranty the crystal for AR damage unless it's in a weird shape that might look like a defect. They can only offer you to replace the entire crystal at cost.

OhMegaMan likes this.
  6. Canuck Dec 21, 2017

So, who’s the “dick”?

7. drhombus24 Dec 21, 2017

Not so easy to tell, but it looks like a scratch on the crystal. AR scratches would be much lighter than that. I ended up polishing off my AR to try and get rid of it, but no success. I was only able to get rid of the micro abrasions. F2E92508-F03F-438E-ADA3-EC275907E132.jpeg

8. Huus Dec 21, 2017

It is most likely in the AR coating, nothing to worry about. All part and parcel of daily wear.
    Have it checked out by Omega just to be sure if you like but replacing it I wouldn't. It is only going to happen again.
    As Canuck mentioned, check out some of the threads about this subject in the past, there is plenty of them with a lot of info on the subject.
    Regards.

9. Shihab Dec 22, 2017

Thanks Meme-Dweller, i just tried that but unfortunately it did not go away.

10. Shihab Dec 22, 2017

Most Probably i will take it to omega for a quick check as i could feel the scratch on the lens itself.
    Thanks,

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 22, 2017

If you can feel it, it's in the sapphire...not just the AR coating.

fskywalker, Shihab and drhombus24 like this.
  12. drhombus24 Dec 22, 2017

I second archer. I wouldn’t bother trying to fix it tho. Omega would probably charge around $700 since they would need to do a service with it. The best quote I got for replacing mine without a service was $350 from an independent watchmaker. It’s an expensive world out there...:(

13. Shihab Dec 22, 2017

Ah ok, thanks Archer

14. Shihab Dec 22, 2017

I agree with you, if its going to cost All that amount i guess i will just wait till the time of the service and change it by then.
    Thanks

15. grailmaster Dec 31, 2017

I have had the same experience and having done autobody for a living , I simply took a good polishing compound and polished all of the ar coating off. I can not see the difference after having completed the process

16. tdg2064 Jan 2, 2018

I have a few scratches in the AR coating of my 2500 PO but then I have also got a few fine scratches in my 8500, they appear to be in the crystal itself. Can you feel any texture to the scratches? If you run your fingernail along the crystal does it catch on the scratch? If so, it is probably in the crystal and not the AR coating.

17. Shihab Jan 7, 2018

Yea, i can somehow feel it .I guess i will just ask for replacing it with the service when its due.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

18. Rahkshi007 Jan 30, 2018

I also scratched my AR coating on my Dark Side of the moon within a year of usage. I just use cape cod polishing cloth which you can get from ebay to buff off the entire AR coating. You really some thumb muscle and took me about 45min to get the job done. Till now another 1 year, I have no problem of scratches on the crystal anymore.

pmontoyap likes this.
  19. time flies Jan 31, 2018

Cars were meant to be driven
    Guns made to shoot
    Guitars to be played
    Girls made to wine and dine
    And watches...were meant to be worn.

Life is what happens when you think nothing is happening. Twenty years from now that scratch will be a great memory.

Have fun wear more than one.

-kfw

20. fskywalker Feb 1, 2018

Fairly common, that's why some companies avoid AR on the exterior side of the sapphire as they are prone to scratches