Forums Latest Members

Omega AR coating is on the outside of the crystal and Rolex coating is on the inside?

1. Keef Richards Apr 24, 2019

When wearing your watch, you will brush against the crystal by accident just by doing normal task. I read in reviews of the Omegas and Rolex watches that Omega has the anti glare on the outside of the crystal while Rolex has it on the interior of the watch.

It makes sense to have the anti glare on the inside so you won't scratch it or perhaps even remove it. Does anyone know if there is any advantage having it on the outside? I'm surprised they didn't put the a it glare on the inside.

fskywalker likes this.
  2. 77deluxe Apr 24, 2019

I think coating the outside reduces more glare

3. Duckie Apr 24, 2019

Rolex is not known to have any AR coating except for under the magnifying Cyclops.
    Actually it has been noted in the past that Rolex avoid using it deliberately because it detracts from the glare reflecting off the flat Crystals.

Not all Omega watches have AR coating on the outside.
    My Railmaster only has it on the inside with none on the outside. It's a feature of that reference and one of the main reasons why I bought it.

IMO, AR coating is great for Saphire crystals, but only on the inside.
    Outside is a liability.

fskywalker and padders like this.
  4. Evitzee Apr 24, 2019

To be most effective you should have AR coating on the inside and outside. But outside coating can eventually get scratched so some makers just put it on the inside. It helps, but is not the most effective.

MTROIS and Deafboy like this.
  5. Bimmerman77 Apr 24, 2019

Many Omegas, such as the later model SMP divers and Aqua terras have it on both sides. I’ve never had an issue with any of my watches that have it on both sides, but I’ve heard of others having scratched AR outer coatings.

6. 124watchfan Apr 24, 2019

Nearly all of omegas current watches have it on the inside AND outside. Makes the crystal nearly invisible. It does scratch and is removable if scratches become noticeable. It is a fairly rugged application though normal wear probably not going to damage it.

7. 77deluxe Apr 24, 2019

Are there any Rolex models with AR?

8. Pun Apr 24, 2019

No I don't think Rolex use AR on its crystal at all.

Caliber561 and 77deluxe like this.
  9. 77deluxe Apr 24, 2019

That was my understanding but I’m not to familiar with the newer models.

10. Pun Apr 24, 2019

There are many threads at TRF and other places that keep discussing pros and cons of whether Rolex should start using AR to it's some of the sports models, to say the least.

Edited Apr 25, 2019
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 24, 2019

Many Omegas have it in the inside and outside.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 25, 2019

I think you may have read wrong. Coatings if applied at all are usually on both sides, occasionally inside only. Coating both sides has optical advantages over inside only or no coating but obvious disadvantages too as the coatings do scratch. I have never heard of a watch crystal externally coated only. Certainly not in the Omega sphere. Can’t really comment on what Rolex do, certainly the models I have handled weren’t coated at all and were less usable as a result.

Edited Apr 25, 2019
    Huus and Foo2rama like this.
  13. Bimmerman77 Apr 25, 2019

I have a 2018 sub c and a 2017 Batman. Neither have an AR coating and it drives me nuts in the sun.

14. WiZARD Apr 25, 2019

I think some Cellini models have AR.

15. fskywalker Apr 29, 2019

Agree as outside AR is prone to scratches

16. 77deluxe Apr 29, 2019

I’ve actually removed it from the outside of a crystal. It’s a solid modification that’s quite easy to do.

17. AntonisCy Apr 29, 2019

I have owned a lot of Tag Heuer and Omega watches and always Tag had the better AR... I remember my older Omegas having this purple hue on the crystal due to their AR. But the AR on my 2018 SMP Diver is the best AR i have ever seen. In all photos i have taken and most of the times i look at the watch it almost looks like there is no crystal and you can go ahead and touch the hands. About the scratches i had this in mind when i bought the rhodium dial. Scratches are easy to see on dark colored dials but not so on a lighter one.

18. RedarT Apr 30, 2019

Actually i like the blue/purple hue the older AR coatings had. The crystal appeared as clear most of the times, but with some extra colour light play.

padders likes this.
  19. valkyrie_rider Apr 30, 2019

My humble opinion: double coated AR sapphire on dressy watches are really nice.

But for sports and tool watches, I rather have AR only on the inside of the sapphire crystal.