Anti Reflective coatings on the outside of Omega watches is disappearing.

It seems like my Seamaster 300m has got it first scratch on the AR this last weekend after over two years. Perhaps my external AR might disappear in the future.

Mine is 5 years old, worn 24/7/360ish and has no scratches, perhaps mine will disappear too. Or maybe not.

Mine is 5 years old, worn 24/7/360ish and has no scratches, perhaps mine will disappear too. Or maybe not.

Hope it doesn't disappear without a notice.

Mine, too: 24x365x5 and not a scratch on it.
Ehm, I don’t wear it while sleeping, so the real formula is 16x365x5

Mine, too: 24x365x5 and not a scratch on it.
Ehm, I don’t wear it while sleeping, so the real formula is 16x365x5
….sad bugger here, I sleep in mine!

Mine is battered from 8 years of abuse, there are some small marks in the outside AR but you really have to look hard to see them, there’s one in the pic below between the O in omega and the 11 o clock marker but you have to zoom in to see it, just not an issue really.

Here’s a side by side photo of my Seamaster 300m Heritage (AR on the inside of the crystal only) and my Aqua Terra Skyfall (AR on both sides of the crystal). The photo was taken in my office under fluorescent lighting. You can easily see that the Seamaster’s vintage style bubble crystal, which has only the interior AR coating, shows significant reflections that make the dial harder to read than the dial on the AT which has a crystal with AR on both sides. That being said, I don’t find it difficult to tell the time on the Seamaster because it’s highly polished, rhodium plated and beveled hands reflect light like a mirror. So AR on both sides of the crystal is a double edged sword: it enhances dial readability, but the exterior coating is almost certain to pick up scratches as time goes on. You pays your money and you takes your chances
IMG_7606.jpeg
Edited:

More or less. The "heritage" lines generally are inside AR only.
Do you know if it’s possible to ask Omega to have my Seamaster 300 heritage coated with AR on the outside? I love everything about the 300 heritage models except for the constant reflection/glare.
There’s something so magical and satisfying about the “invisible crystal” effect that the other Seamaster watches have.

Do you know if it’s possible to ask Omega to have my Seamaster 300 heritage coated with AR on the outside?
Yes, it is possible to ask them. 😁

Yes, it is possible to ask them. 😁
lol, I mean do you think they’ll be ok with changing the configuration of a model of theirs?

lol, I mean do you think they’ll be ok with changing the configuration of a model of theirs?
I really think you will have to ask the service center, but I suspect they won't be interested in doing that.

My gut feeling is that they certainly won't be willing/able to apply an anti-reflective coating to a part that doesn't usually have it. The service center presumably just uses parts supplied by the factory.

If there is a crystal with anti-reflective coating that just happens to fit, maybe they would install it, but I suspect they would be concerned about the warranty implications of installing the "wrong" part. You would probably be better off asking an independent watchmaker with a parts account.

Here’s a side by side photo of my Seamaster 300m Heritage (AR on the inside of the crystal only) and my Aqua Terra Skyfall (AR on both sides of the crystal). The photo was taken in my office under fluorescent lighting. You can easily see that the Seamaster’s vintage style bubble crystal, which has only the interior AR coating, shows significant reflections that make the dial harder to read than the dial on the AT which has a crystal with AR on both sides. That being said, I don’t find it difficult to tell the time on the Seamaster because it’s highly polished, rhodium plated and beveled hands reflect light like a mirror. So AR on both sides of the crystal is a double edged sword: it enhances dial readability, but the exterior coating is almost certain to pick up scratches as time goes on. You pays your money and you takes your chances
IMG_7606.jpeg
Really does make the crystal just vanish