Forums Latest Members

An ownership review of the Omega Globemaster, or “The Idiot Button”

1. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 31, 2017

Wow. A review that's truly worthy of the watch. Thanks @Longbow for taking the time to put your review together and share it here.

As a fellow engineer, I have to ask you this: what kind of info. are you presented with when you log onto Omega's web site and check the results from the METAS certification? Would you mind posting a screen capture? [with appropriate masking of any personal details, of course]

p.s. -- Thanks for the heads-up on the Idiot Button. I would have surely pressed it myself.

Riviera Paradise, Longbow and Jwit like this.
  2. abrod520 Aug 31, 2017

FYI - Manufacture Jean Rousseau are the OEM suppliers for Omega's leather straps, and they'll happily put something together for you similar to the way Camille Fournet will. You can even get a high-quality (though non-Omega-branded) deployant clasp from them, at perhaps 1/2 the price of the official Omega branded strap and deployant.

I'll even bet @yinzerniner knows the exact combination of material and color for the Globemaster strap

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  3. tna23 Aug 31, 2017

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Manufacture Jean Rousseau.

4. sdre Sep 1, 2017

I went to the AD to give it a go. The white is singing out to me. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 1, 2017

I have the opaline silver dial, which looks a bit more like creamy white tbh.

RJ

6. Longbow Sep 2, 2017

Hi @Jones in LA,
    I was just about to post my results (screen capture) when I noticed the Omega Copyright logo....I seem to be getting too many ear-bashings at the moment for posting stuff I shouldn't so what I will say is that the data is just a list of test criteria pass results and in the few instances where a specific timing value range is possible the actual measured value will be shown. So for example the first result shown is the test for average daily precision with my GM showing a result of +4.8s for an allowable range of 0 to +5s/day and this is indeed my experience, circa 5s/day fast.
    The other result that is interesting is the deviation of the daily precision after exposure to a 15000 Gauss magnetic field which in my case was just 0.4s/day in the range 0 to 5s/day. The only result that was maybe a surprise was the variation over 6 positions which came out at 3.8s/day from a range of 0 to 12s/day. So generally a GM will always run ever so slightly fast, which is OK if you develop the habit of daily time corrections against a known good source. This is I guess a bit different than the Rolex approach of having a similar span but centred around 0, +2s and -2s which could result in the watch being generally on-time without much intervention assuming it lies overnight in varying positions.
    So, nice (summary) results to have but as an engineer I would have liked to have seen a lot more detail.

Cheers

Nick

7. Longbow Sep 9, 2017

A few more white vs blue images for those still undecided...
    IMG_5904.JPG R0011035 (2).JPG IMG_5912 (3).JPG R0011039 (2).JPG

8. waterproofpt Sep 10, 2017

I tried the white, the blue and the white with YG bezel on at the local AD. My son with me as well. I ended up buying the white although Initially I thought going to go for the blue ....... but it didn't look as good on my wrist as the white one did. However the blue one looked better on my sons wrist. Go figure. Actual fact I really liked the white with gold bezel but since I'm retired and don't have as much need for a dressy watch I went with the white.
    My point is they are all beautiful watches in their own right. So if you can, you really need to try them on to see what looks good on your own wrist.

9. mikechi22 Sep 10, 2017

[QUOTE= I went with the white.

Congratulations! It's a beautiful watch! Wear it in peace and happiness!

10. Madjam1966 Sep 10, 2017

Great pics!

Longbow likes this.
  11. Madjam1966 Sep 10, 2017

Great review. An absolutely stunning watch and a future classic.

Longbow likes this.
  12. chickenman26 Sep 12, 2017

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here regarding the bracelet - it has no adjustability at the clasp, and no half links are available. The only adjustments possible are to either remove or install full size links. So whether a person likes the bracelet tight, loosy goosey, or anywhere in between, the liklihood of getting it exactly as you like it is a lot lower than with most other Omega bracelets. On my 7" wrist, I have a choice of bracelet fits - tourniquet tight, or looser than I like. The blue alligator/clasp works a lot better for me.

Longbow likes this.
  13. Longbow Sep 12, 2017

I knew I had forgotten something important.::facepalm1::

I can't tell you how often I thought about that issue; your right, spot on! I even commented on that in another post
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/an-alternative-trilogy.63133/

I think the lack of adjustability and the rather sharp edges were the two primary reasons I was initially put off by the bracelet....which is a pity because in almost every other respect it is one of Omegas finest.

14. chickenman26 Sep 13, 2017

Thanks for the link. You showed the clasp extension system used by VC, and I think that's a genius solution - thinking outside the box. I'd much rather have that and retain the flush clasp than use a micro-adjustable foldover.

[​IMG]

EatMan and Longbow like this.
  15. bovecHD Sep 13, 2017

Longbow, thanks for sharing so much on this watch. Glad to have taken the time to enjoy your review.

Longbow likes this.
  16. yikkie2377 Sep 24, 2017

That is a brilliant review! Love that dial!

Longbow likes this.
  17. fourcircle Feb 11, 2018

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and to higher end watch collecting. First, props to Longbow for what is the most objective and complete review of the Globemaster anywhere on the web. (I know this for a fact because I've read them all!) I'm soon to pull the trigger on a grail, and the Globemaster is on the very short list along with the Datejust 41 and the newly redesigned Aqua Terra. I love how the Globemaster is not commonly seen, and sports a near 100% brushed look where the DJ41 and Aqua Tera have so many blingy and polished surfaces. the Globemaster would be the perfect watch for me, however the comments about the sharp bracelet and lack of adjustability greatly concern me. So too does the less than best fit and finish I am seeing where the end links meet the case. I have my heart set on a bracelet, so any more feedback regarding the bracelet is appreciated. My wrist is 6-7/8.

Longbow likes this.
  18. Longbow Feb 12, 2018

Hi @fourcircle,
    Thanks for the kind words wrt the review.
    Some thoughts on your comments above:-

At my request Omega went over the inside edge of the bracelet very lightly with a polishing wheel which cured the sharpness issue; the result is imperceptible to the eye but noticeable in comfort.

Both the new Aqua Terra and the Globemaster have none adjustable butterfly clasps, so any issues you have with this system will be the same. I don’t know if the Rolex easylink system is offered on the DJ41, you need to check.

Despite my initial misgivings I am now pretty happy with the overall comfort of the GM on bracelet combo...I‘m still wearing my GM as I write, so I guess that’s a recommendation.

The bracelet to end link to case fit and finish is in my opinion excellent. Any gaps you have seen are simply the effect of the bracelet wrapping around the wrist and opening up the links. To avoid this you would need a bigger wrist, smaller watch or different bracelet system. I can’t say that it has bothered me at all in real world daily use.

Your wrist size is a smaller than mine which means the GM is going to appear bigger. I can’t imagine the DJ41 looking right, unless you are a fan of the current “dining plate on wrist” fashion. Don’t be afraid of trying something a little smaller; you will get a more elegant look and access to all the great vintage pieces.

A question for you: do you need the date function (most people do for everyday use)? If not there are plenty of other options such as the Railmaster LE, which although heavily polished is a truly excellent watch. Or you might consider the latest Rolex Explorer I which is more tool-like. For the ultimate all-brushed look check out the new non-LE Railmaster.

If you can live with smaller watches then another one of my favorites is the vintage Seamaster 168.023, especially in Stainless Steel with the so called “Sparkle” dial...there are plenty of photos of them here on OF. Check out the posts from @JohnSteed and @styggpyggeno1 for some stunning examples. The advantages of a watch like this are that you get great everyday practicality with day and date functions, good spares availability (according to my contact at Omega) and instant street credibility in the vintage watch collecting community.

Before you do anything else, stop looking at websites and go to an Omega Boutique or Authorised Dealer and try the watches on that interest you.

Good luck!

Nick

highbob, JohnSteed and sdre like this.
  19. fourcircle Feb 12, 2018

Longbow, thanks for your reply and further intel. To answer your question, yes I must have a date, so that eliminates all no-date contenders. What initially attracted me to the Globemaster was it's unique blue dial, fuss free brushed finish, and vintage vibe. Watches in the 38 to 40 mm range fit me really well. Surprisingly, the DJ41 fits me better than a DJ36, and is surprisingly comfortable. While the 41's case fills the top of my wrist, it's lugs do not extend beyond, and the oyster bracelet shows nary a gap at any angle. The Globemaster's 39 is perfectly acceptable, but as you correctly noted above, I believe the flat lugs on my smaller 6-7/8 wrist causes the bracelet to bend revealing an objectionable gap between the 1st and 2nd links. That, combined with the sharp link issue you note and no half link adjustability, gives me purchase pause. BTW, the sharp link issue is only noted a couple of times online, so maybe it won't bother me (?) and it could be that I just might fall into the fits just right category. Alternatively, the revised Aqua Terra does have a half link, has the same 8900 movement as the Globemaster, is very versitile and presents a great value proposition at $1500 less than the Globemaster. But like the DJ41, it too has the blingy, fussy polished surfaces and I can't seem to get by the triangular shaped indices. I have located a reputable source with a manageable price for a new Globemaster who will size the watch before shipping and is willing to take back the watch if it doesn't fit me, minus a handling fee of about $175 if returned. I wonder if I might should give it a go?

IMG_0088.JPG
    Dochoersch, EatMan, highbob and 3 others like this.
  20. sdre Feb 12, 2018

Sounds like a good deal. U can try it and if not then just shipped it back to him.

Personally, the globemaster was in my sights last year, but objectively, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I would buy a Rolex because it holds the value alot better than an Omega (IMHO). If i struck lottery and won 10 million bucks, then that would be a different story...