Forums Latest Members
  1. Longbow Sep 4, 2017

I’m sure some of you good folks at OF have noticed that I’m a bit of a Globemaster nerd; unless that is you’ve been living on a submerged nuclear sub out of radio contact for the last year or so. For reasons that, as of yet, I have been unable to fathom, I have a strange affinity for all things Globemaster, well at least the new ones. If my skills and budget were more substantial I have no doubt that I would have purchased, disassembled and analysed each and every variant in the minutest detail by now. Sadly I have to make do with what’s visible on the outside or written online about the inside.

Following the launch and my subsequent purchase of the “regular” Globemaster I felt sure that the next development would be a GMT derivative, due mainly to the apparent depth from the crystal to the face of the dial and the gap between the hands, as if left intentionally for an additional (GMT?) hand.

Instead of a GMT being added to the collection what we actually got from Omega at BW2016 was quite a shock. We were offered the (still) current line-up of several “regular” Globemasters, easily identified by the date window at 6 O’Clock, the rather tasty, not to mention eye-wateringly expensive, limited edition dateless version in Platinum and, er, the “other” one, with the extra dial text.

Seeing as OmegaForums is a jolly decent sort of place and one tries to avoid disparaging remarks about a chap’s (or chapess’) personal taste I shall refrain from negatives and expletives where the “other” or Annual Calendar is concerned, not least of which because I find it somehow fascinating, rather like staring at a beautiful, curvaceous but overtly tattooed woman.

So here we are in 2017 and still no GMT. Are we really to believe that a watch called Globemaster will never master the display of multiple time zones? Yes, I know the regular GM has a quickset hour hand or timezone complication, but that’s not quite the same is it? I struggled to resign myself to the prospect of there never being a GM-GMT. If I couldn’t buy one then I guess I would have to invent one and that is how my little GM-GMT project started. I set about the task of specifying a future Globemaster-based GMT, in the hope that one day such a beastie might see the light of day. Here are my thoughts and ideas for a Globemaster GMT or Omega Super Constellation if you will.

Photo 1.jpg

With the release of the GM Annual Calendar at BaselWorld 2016 we know that four hands fit in a Globemaster, the question is what size should a GMT be? Obviously there is enough space in the 41mm case of the AC to implement a GMT, by using the latest 8906 caliber, but could it be implemented in the smaller (39mm) Globemaster and in either case, what sort of 24 hour indication might be appropriate?

The “case“ for a 40mm Globemaster GMT

Since I’m not a watchmaker, nor have access to Omegas detailed assembly drawings, much of what follows is (un)educated guesswork. Nevertheless, some details about movement sizes are already known so let’s start there.

Most (all?) current co-axial movements appear to be 29mm in diameter, so there is no obvious reason why the case diameter should increase from the basic 39mm on this point. The 41mm AC appears to have grown for fashion reasons rather than technical ones. There are several candidate Omega GMT movements having differing thicknesses, which may be an issue, either behind or in front of the dial.

Photo 2.jpg

8900 and 8605 calibers compared

Assuming that a 39mm case is too small (too thin), then the next simple solution would be to jump up to the 41mm AC case size. If I have the correct data the 8922 AC caliber is almost 1mm thicker than the 8906 GMT calibre. I have been informed by an Omega watchmaker that these movements are hard mounted into the case (no plastic spacers or similar), so this thickness change might actually result in the need to modify the case internal mounting surface positions, i.e. a new/modified case design will be necessary.
    Photo 3.jpg
    41mm Globemaster GMT? Maybe not so simple after all.

If the 39mm case is too small/thin and the 41mm too large/thick, how about a 40mm Globemaster GMT? Is this the sweet spot perhaps?
    Photo 4.jpg

A 40mm case seems to offer a nice family progression. This is where I would be focusing my creative energy. But size isn’t everything (despite the latest Omega Seamaster trends). What should the Globemaster GMT look like? What features should be present? I’ll get to that in a moment….but first let’s imagine for a moment that it is 2018 already and we are eagerly awaiting BaselWorld. We have discovered that it’s the introduction year for the Omega Globemaster GMT, with a general refresh of some of the existing GM design aspects and maybe one or two additions to the range. What might we get?

Photo 5.jpg

Some of the main improvements:-

· Introduction of grade 5 Titanium as main material for case and bracelet.

Having recently upgraded my Globemaster model 130.33.39.21.02.001 (SS on leather strap) to model 30.30.39.21.02.001 (SS bracelet) it is clear how heavy this combination is. I would like to achieve a watch that is genuinely capable of being worn 24/7 under a wide range of conditions (hot, cold, dry wet, casual, formal etc) and this seems to me to imply the need for a significant weight reduction, the main solution to which is switching the case and bracelet from Stainless Steel to Titanium.

It would be interesting to know how much the sapphire crystal adds to the overall watch weight. Or put another way, how much lighter the watch would be if the sapphire crystal was replaced by Hesalite? While Hesalite scratches more easily, it is also more easily re-polished or cheaply replaced, as well as generally having a slightly warmer visual appearance. So, as with the Speedmaster Professional, it would be interesting to offer a Globemaster GMT with either Hesalite or sapphire. I suspect I would opt for Hesalite if offered.

· Sapphire display back replaced by Titanium case back

This is a further measure to reduce weight as well as potentially reducing the overall watch head height on the wrist and allowing the deletion of the 4 screw case back attachment method. Perhaps something more like the non-LE Railmaster Naiad lock system could be employed, to ensure that the case back observatory medallion is correctly oriented. Speaking of which, it would be great if the observatory motif on a GM-GMT could be the Greenwich Observatory.
    Photo 6.jpg

The standard sapphire case back with 4 slotted screws

Photo 7.jpg

An alternative approach based on the None Limited Edition Railmaster Naiad case back (complete with Greenwich Observatory motive)

Photo 8.jpg

The updated Globemaster with screws removed and case back replaced by Naiad type

· Replacement of Butterfly Clasp by 1957 Trilogy Seamaster 300 LE “Vintage” extension clasp

Air travel and climatic zone changes will inevitably change the size of one’s wrist. Nice as the standard Globemaster bracelet is, its lack of a simple extension system is a significant drawback in the GMT application. However, there is a suitable clasp solution in the form of the Trilogy 1957 LE introduced at BaselWorld 2017. Since I have the Railmaster from this Trilogy set I have found that the extension system is a bit too short; it needs a few more clicks to be genuinely useful. I suppose it needs to be somewhere between the Seamaster 300 clasp and the ’57 Trilogy clasp.

Photo 9.jpg

· Introduction of bevelled edge to inner edges of the bracelet links

Both the upper and lower outer edges of the watch head have been given an attractive polished and bevelled edge. This treatment continues into the standard stainless steel bracelet on the basic Globemaster model. The bevelled edge on the upper side of the bracelet creates a particularly comfortable feel to this bracelet, so it is a pity that this was not also done on the inner or lower edges of the bracelet links to provide relief from the otherwise sharp outer edges of the bracelet links where they contact the wrist.

Other changes of note:-

· The case back bevel edges should be softened to deliver ultimate wrist comfort.

· The spring-bar to case separation could be slightly increased to ensure compatibility with 1.5mm Zulu straps (yes I know this is a really strange combination and NATOs are not much liked on the GM, but the point is to make the GM-GMT universally compatible) whatever weird stuff customers throw at it.

· There is a further point for improvement for the bracelet on a future GMT version. Omega typically uses simple slot head screws for the removable links. These are very difficult to get lined up accurately. A nicer looking approach would be to use hex socket (or Torx?) cheese head screws. These have more axes of symmetry and thus any "misalignment" is less noticeable. Compare the misaligned GM screws in the following figure with those used in a Sinn 857 UTC.

Photo 10.jpg
    Single slot screw verse Hex screw alignment

I really like the look of the vintage boxes offered for the 1957 re-issue watches. Do we really need all these super-sized wooden display boxes? I would hope that Omega deliver the GM-GMT watch in a small vintage style box (as done for the ’57 Trilogies) and provide something useful for day-to-day life, like this perhaps:-

Photo 11.jpg

Leather travel roll (Leather, NATO, rubber straps)

And now to the important parts of the new Globemaster GMT, namely style, dial and GMT indication.

With not a lot of effort it is easy to imagine a range of GMTs, from a rather minimalist execution of the GMT function via a fourth hand alone (as per the Annual Calendar but without any extra text on the dial), through the subtle addition of the 24 hour markers on the rehaut all the way up to hour markers on fixed and rotatable bezels, as shown below.

Photo 12.jpg

In these configurations Omega’s experiments with colour use on the Globemaster Annual Calendar start to make more sense and look a little more cohesive.

Photo 13.jpg
    Adding some Grand Seiko DNA

Photo 14.jpg
    More Grand Seiko DNA, but the effect is more like an Explorer II

Photo 15.jpg
    A mix of Globemaster and Grand Seiko with a Turn-O-Graph look

The previous designs owe some thanks to non-Omega DNA (mainly borrowed from Grand Seiko) so what would happen if we go looking for pure Omega DNA solutions? Some of the existing GMT bezels are rather good, but for whatever reason they have been plonked onto watch cases that would give Ice Hockey pucks an inferiority complex. So let’s give them a new home and maybe a few minor tweaks while we are at it. The first couple leave things pretty much unchanged.

Photo 16.jpg

Photo 17.jpg
    Globemaster meets Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M GMT Goodplanet

We don’t really need a diver’s watch pip on a business/sports watch so maybe something different…

Photo 18.jpg
    Two stars for a super Constellation?

Not funky enough? OK what about replacing those SM Helium valves with a GMT scale control crown? Or adding an old vintage favourite, the Roulette scale?

Photo 19.jpg
    No idea how this should work mechanically….

And if we haven’t been blown away by North Korean A-Bombs or bankrupted by Brexit/Trump/xx (add your favourite fear here) in 2018, then we can all get stoned in 2019 and celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock (15th - 17th August 1969) with a psychedelic GMT Limited Edition.

Photo 20.jpg
    Woodstock LE?

In this configuration the bezel can be selected and/or swapped to match whatever pills the customer happens to be popping. OK, just kidding. I started this mad project on April 1st so a little levity is allowable.

Photo 21.jpg
    A growing family?

Now pulling all the threads together we end up with the final Globemaster GMT looking something like this (without the Annual Calendar text on the dial):-

Photo 22.jpg
    Brand: Omega
    Family: Globemaster
    Reference: 130.90.40.22.06.001 (aka: 13090402206001)
    Name: Globemaster GMT Titanium / Grey
    Produced: 2018
    Limited: Yes
    Materials: Grade 5 Titanium case and bracelet, ceramic bezel
    Glass: Sapphire domed & rounded (as per GM Annual Calendar and LE Railmaster), internal anti-reflection coated or Hesalite
    Back: Solid Metal (Titanium with Greenwich Observatory Image)
    Diameter: 40mm
    W/R: 100 m
    Dial Color: Grey
    Indexes: Stick
    Hands: Stick
    Movement: Caliber 8906, METAS certification. Co-Axial escapement. GMT with jump hour time zone function. Silicon balance-spring on free sprung-balance, 2 barrels mounted in series, automatic winding in both directions. Rhodium-plated balance bridge and oscillating mass, luxury finish with exclusive Geneva waves in arabesque. Power reserve: 60 hours.
    Warranty: 5-year international guarantee

So there we have it, my naive GMT contribution to the Globemaster family.

There are of course less complex and/or controversial ways to expand the Globemaster family. The obvious one already exists, i.e. the no date version, which could be switched to include gold and perhaps titanium.

Photo 23.jpg

And last but not least, I would like to offer a little love to the poor much maligned Annual Calendar by giving her some new shoes in the form of a steel bracelet. In case you were wondering, the steel bracelet from the regular Globemaster does not fit the Annual Calendar..I’ve tried, wrong end link/spring bar hole vs case lug hole position.

Photo 24.jpg

So, in my little GM fantasy world there would be an alternative Globemaster Trilogy and it would look something like this…

Photo 25.jpg
    Love it? Hate it? Let’s hear your opinion so that Omega can know one way or the other if anything more than the regular Globemaster has a chance. Got better ideas? Let’s hear them; there’s no one smarter than the combined OmegaForums.

Trifide, zhark, JBF1957 and 42 others like this.
  2. abrod520 Sep 4, 2017

Very cool, it'd be interesting to see this done. As to the Annual Calendar, I'm not a fan either but while picking up my Speedy Tuesday this weekend, saw the Sedna gold model while chatting with the Boutique manager and I have to say, that one's a lot more agreeable. The script on the dial is much more subtle, being in a shade of grey just slightly lighter than the dial. It's actually rather elegant IMO. (Also saw the green platinum model; that one wasn't so attractive...)

gpssti4, scapa, sjg22 and 2 others like this.
  3. sjg22 Sep 4, 2017

I think I've found my nominee for post of the year!

I wear a GMT more often than not and I think it's one of the more generally useful watch complications - perfect fit for the Globemaster (sort of fits with the promise of the name, really...).

Paedipod, Edantony, PhilN and 3 others like this.
  4. ReturnOfUltraman Sep 4, 2017

Extremely well written and well executed. In my opinion, a 24-hour bezel looks out of place, but I believe having an engraved rehaut looks 100% better. 40mm is a good size for any GMT too.:thumbsup: I also like your idea on the caseback since it's done more tastefully and eliminates the placement for screws. Fantastic!

Edited Sep 5, 2017
    Edantony, lando, PhilN and 4 others like this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Sep 4, 2017

Nick: this post deserves at least :thumbsup: X 1000!

I second @sjg22 's vote for post of the year!!!!!

Another incredible tour de force from Mr. Nick "Longbow" the Master Globemaster!!!

I prefer the smooth ceramic 24h bezel "double star" variant or the Grand Seiko inspired inner bezel.

436791-94539bdce98e7cd789ed65e2bbb5e019.jpg
    436786-5f3a9390acc40574e15ba155cdff7418.jpg
    OMEGA...please take note!!!

Longbow and sjg22 like this.
  6. Kja Sep 4, 2017

Omega is killing themselves with too many models, everybody is confused and swiss watches are plummeting, not many are buying and secondhand prices are falling.. More confusing models are the last thing omega needs.. IMO

djmusicman and Longbow like this.
  7. BostonCanuck Sep 4, 2017

One of the best watch posts I've ever read on any board, Longbow. Congratulations and thanks, as I'm also a big fan of the Globemaster. I'm all in on your final recommendation, the 40 mm titanium version with rotating non-fluted bezel. The only changes I'd make would be to keep the butterfly clasp, and replace the star at the top of the bezel with a "24".

Seems like a no-brainer for Omega to finally give us a GMT version of this watch, as you mention. Heck, the watch even has a bezel already! From monitoring these boards, I get the sense that the Globemaster is slowly but steadily growing in popularity and appreciation, certainly among us watch aficionados. Hopefully Omega's ill conceived foray into the annual calendar models will not portent a premature end to new versions in this beautiful line of watches.

Edited Sep 4, 2017
    Riviera Paradise and Longbow like this.
  8. boltman Sep 4, 2017

I like the roulette version.

Longbow likes this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 4, 2017

Very cool to read along as your though process unfolds.
    For me, this one is the one to do

436786-5f3a9390acc40574e15ba155cdff7418.jpg
    Love the subtlety of using the rehaut for function.

I would buy one of these.

I think the PO style bezel is too much and takes away from the classy Globemaster look.

M'Bob, frederico, Jwit and 7 others like this.
  10. M'Bob Sep 4, 2017

Your post, and dedication to the concept, is so impressive that the watch that ever emerges will likely be underwhelming by comparison.

11. ossfm Sep 4, 2017

I like the way you dream. I love the GM too. I'm surprised that 39mm feels so big on the wrist. I wish it didn't; the GM is one good looking watch.

After re-reading "Longitude" last week, it makes me want a GMT to remind me of Harrison and the search for a solution. A GM-GMT would be cool!

Longbow likes this.
  12. Green Omega Sep 4, 2017

Dream, Idea, Innovation - hallmarks of great minds. Without a doubt, this post has made me want to have a second look on the Globe Master. Thanks for a great post!

Longbow likes this.
  13. Longbow Sep 5, 2017

I posted a little video of that Sedna Gold AC a while ago, check this link:-
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/globemaster-annual-calender.44024/page-3
    That version is the more agreable one I think, although I thought putting a bracelet on the white and silver dial versions seemed to make them less jarring.

abrod520 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Sep 5, 2017

Great post!

Now get back to your family, they must be wondering where you are!

(I like the roulette version - but think that the rehaut has to steep sides for this to work, sadly)

15. Longbow Sep 5, 2017

Hi @Kja,
    thanks for the honest feedback! You are right that too many confusing pointless models is indeed an issue. While I think the rotating ceramic bezel version viewed on its own works (at least for me) it is unavoidable that it will be compared and contrasted with its siblings and therein lies the problem, mixing DNA generally creates a mongrel rather than a thoroughbred.

However, when I scan the entire Omega product portfolio I do not find anywhere a convincing alternative to the Rolex GMT Master II or Explorer II. So there is IMHO still a gap for a new model that is a worthy competitor to the Rolex competition. Perhaps my flight of fancy isn't it, maybe I just have to bite the bullet and buy a Rolex....but that sounds like surrender-monkey talk.

Jensop and Riviera Paradise like this.
  16. Longbow Sep 5, 2017

The existing butterfly clasp is unfortunately non-adjustable so that is a KO criteria for me. If it has to be this type of clasp then Omega would do well to consider the solutions from Vacheron Constantin (Overseas model) and Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Geographic.
    Photo 26 VC Overseas Clasp.jpg Photo 27Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Geographic.jpg

17. Longbow Sep 5, 2017

Never heard of that book, thanks for the heads-up, looks like a good read.

18. Longbow Sep 5, 2017

I think the Rehaut is probably too steep (as is) for any of the ideas to work...but who knows, maybe Omega will surprise us.

19. ConElPueblo Sep 5, 2017

If the indices were made shorter, the rehaut could be less steep. It would probably mess up the proportions, however.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 5, 2017

Chapter ring is the solution;)

There is an Omega version of the Rolex GMT... the PO GMT. I think they dress up well, just wish it did not have the He valve.