Forums Latest Members

An ownership review of the Omega Globemaster, or “The Idiot Button”

1. tna23 Aug 31, 2017

Terrific review, thanks!

I chose the white dial Globemaster, because all my other watches are dark colours. I originally purchased it with a bracelet but subsequently felt that it doesn't do it justice and the watch looks far better on a strap.

I purchased a black Hirsch alligator embossed strap, which is ok, but nowhere near the quality of the OEM dark grey strap. I am now thinking of purchasing the OEM strap + deployant, but the cost is eye-watering. Any suggestions on alternatives?

mikekchc and Longbow like this.
  2. mikechi22 Aug 31, 2017

Um, define "eye watering," please! Do you have a pic to guide recommendations toward one you might like?

3. tna23 Aug 31, 2017

About AU$800 for the OEM strap & deployant, which is above my budget.

I'm thinking as an alternative, a Camille Fournet dark grey round-scale alligator strap. What do you think?

IMG_0074.JPG

4. mikechi22 Aug 31, 2017

Jesus! Agreed: $800 is obscene! The one you've chosen is really beautiful - I would do the same thing! What about the buckle?

5. sdre Aug 31, 2017

Sir would u be so kind to do some straps modeling with your white globemaster? I'm torn between the blue and white.

6. tna23 Aug 31, 2017

Thanks, it's always a bit of a punt buying a strap online, but hopefully it will look good on the watch. I have a butterfly deployant that I picked up off eBay which is of excellent quality.

7. tna23 Aug 31, 2017

No problem, here you go...

IMG_0075.JPG

Skv, Longbow, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  8. mikechi22 Aug 31, 2017

Is it Omega buckle or other maker?

9. tna23 Aug 31, 2017

It's not an omega, just a deployant I bought for US$30. It's quite elegant and unobtrusive.

10. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 31, 2017

Great and honest review. I am a great fan of the Globemaster since its introduction and a happy owner of one. I can understand and underline the criticism of the bracelet (which I also experienced when I had one for review). Mine is on leather strap and folding buckle and it is an awesome piece. For me, the Globemaster has special meaning as it connects to the past. Long story short, it reminds me of my grandfather's Constellation he wore for 42 years and thus of my grandfather. I don't want to wear the Constellation I inherited from him, as it is small and I also don't want to loose or damage it. Furthermore I believe in creating your own history and story with at least one new watch, and for me, it is that Globemaster. So Patek's slogan is a bunch of non-sense to me ;-)

Without that special meaning, I still believe the Globemaster is a great watch. The pie-pan dial is awesome and I love the case shape. The fluted bezel is indeed the 'Rolex'-thing, but no-one ever started about that when they tried my Globemaster on. The shape of the case, the pie-pan dial and the size make it a completely different watch from a Day-Date or Datejust.

The movement is brilliant as well. I like the fact that it is a Master Chronometer (or METAS certified), but you need to dive a bit into this subject to fully understand what it means. In short: it makes it a great every day watch with sublime accuracy. For a mass produced movement, the finish is very nicely done and deserves a display back for sure (normally I do not favor them).

Nothing to complain? In my case, the date is not 100% aligned in the center of the date aperture. However, that only started to 'annoy' me when my co-writer Gerard Nijenbrinks brought it to my attention. Not sure this can be fixed or that it should be fixed, it doesn't annoy me enough I guess.

In my opinion Omega should market this watch a bit more. It is a great daily wearer that is not as dressy as a De Ville Trésor, but also not as sporty as an Aqua Terra for example. It is definitely a Constellation, one that reminds us of the heydays of that collection.

RJ

Buster, Skv, EatMan and 6 others like this.
  11. mikechi22 Aug 31, 2017

That's going to be fine, but how awesome if you could lay hands on one!

12. sdre Aug 31, 2017

13. mikechi22 Aug 31, 2017

I hate to be negative, but this is the absolute wrong watch to wear with a NATO strap. It's like wearing flip flops with a tuxedo.

14. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 31, 2017

Agree. This should not be on NATO.

Hijak, chickenman26 and mikechi22 like this.
  15. sdre Aug 31, 2017

To each his own eh?

munichblue and Longbow like this.
  16. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 31, 2017

Certainly, I just don't think it fits the watch. But if NATO is your game, more power to you :)

17. sdre Aug 31, 2017

Thought it looks great on the black/biege/khaki nato.

Virgil Grissom and Longbow like this.
  18. sdre Aug 31, 2017

Which color did you get in the end?

I have a Speedy Pro and might be looking to get a diver (after I sell my tudor bbb and sla017). So a white dial option might be nice....

19. Riviera Paradise Aug 31, 2017

Wow Nick @Longbow, simply WOW!!!!....just speechless.!!! Just saw your post... fabulous review...thanks so much for taking the time to post this here!!! OF Mods I vote again for this review to be changed to STICKY THREAD status. This is the definitive Globemaster review period!

Cheers,

RP

l_rad, Explorador, EatMan and 6 others like this.
  20. sjg22 Aug 31, 2017

This is the best kind of review - it's one on a watch I'd not previously thought I'd be overly interested in and yet I read every word. And now may have to head over to the Omega at lunch time...

munichblue, Longbow and Jwit like this.