Forums Latest Members

Aero Compax Ref 22289 / SN 1072......Original Dial Debate! Opinions Needed

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 6, 2020

@JwRosenthal ....There are accepted conventions for dial characteristics and fonts, use of logo’s etc depending on the manufacture period and serial number. You can look them up here in the UG Subforum. The subject watch definitely does not fit the mid 40’s conventions discussed in this thread.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  2. JwRosenthal Jan 6, 2020

This makes sense. So were factory service dials available for these watches into the late 50’s? Back to the theory that the original owner brought it in for service and the watchmaker swapped the dial. A hand done redial by a watchmaker versus a factory service dial, I assume can affect the value dramatically.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 6, 2020

I’d conjecture that the answer is yea. We know that dials wore out and were replaced with new. Dials from 30s and 40s can look pretty rough. Common to see 40s cases with later dials. A UG issued later or service dial is fine as long as it’s disclosed.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  4. vujen Jan 6, 2020

@oinkitt
    Do you have the possibility to test dial's radioactivity?

jumpingsecond and Larry S like this.
  5. oinkitt Jan 6, 2020

Yes, I will do so tonight if I don't get home too late.

6. Diabolik Jan 7, 2020

Factory commissioned redials were made for the early tri compax range (40s and early 50s) as there was a high demand. I am not aware or know of any factory reprint runs for the aero compax models. They were produced for a specific market and not sold in sufficient numbers to justify another run. They were quite a rarity along with some of the other references like as the film compax !

The lune test is a good one as a 40s dial would have been lumed with radium (bear in mind different results expected for tritium which was used from the mid 50s). Another test would be to remove the dial and assess if it has been repainted. A sloppy redial may have paint runs on the back of the dial. However, the key point here is the variety of fonts and style that is used on that aero dial as well as other irregularities (sloppy tachy and lack of swiss at 6) which are common on redials but unheard of in the UG line of manufacturing whether original or a factory replacement or redial.

Larry S likes this.
  7. oinkitt Jan 7, 2020

Radex says 2,38

8. sxl2004 Jan 7, 2020

bananas?
    Gold coins?

Without a proper unit the number is meaningless.
    (Sorry for being a scientist :):D)

vujen likes this.
  9. jumpingsecond Jan 7, 2020

This Universal thread reminds me of this Universal thread and a few others over the past few years..

Syrte likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 7, 2020

That’s why we love em.

billving likes this.
  11. Diabolik Jan 7, 2020

I have checked the new and old testament. Cant find the gospel or book of Radex ... :)

oinkitt, billving and janice&fred like this.
  12. oinkitt Jan 7, 2020

SAM_9331.JPG

Background radiation level.

Edited Jan 7, 2020
  13. oinkitt Jan 7, 2020

It was removed at the Council of Rome in 382 AD along with the gospel according to Judus. Radex was Judus"s besty so his gospel was tainted!!!

Joe_A, Larry S and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 7, 2020

I think I have that same device. What were the units of measure for your readings.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 7, 2020

:p

16. oinkitt Jan 7, 2020

µSv/h

Sorry, I thought you could see from the photo of the device.

Edited Jan 7, 2020
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 8, 2020

Yes, this one too — and others where the gospels were shown to include a few remarkable omissions.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/an-...hield-on-dial-of-early-ug-three-hander.86515/

The UG subforums has gone through reformation but that also carries a few witch burnings. :rolleyes:

Edited Jan 8, 2020
  18. vujen Jan 8, 2020

It is a fact that dial shows some radiations level: 2,38 µSv/h. I have a Minerva from early 40s with radium indexes that shows more or less the same amount of radiations.
    It is a fact that we are currently seeing at least two dials with exactly the same features, in watches with the same reference.

A radiation test is very important because with these results we can say - AT LEAST - that dial should not be touched after late '50s. Otherwise there should probably be tritium instead of radium that, as you for sure know, was replaced at the end (more or less) of 50's decade.
    Yes, theoritically there is the possibility of a reprinted dial BEFORE that date, but you have to match this possibility with the fact that there are at least another one identical dial in the world. How many possibility there are, of a reprinted twin? Not so much I'd say, euphimistically speaking.

Given that facts, I'd say that dial is in my very humble opinion original, even if with not usual UG fonts and features. That said, I would really apologise with the owner of that nice watch: @oinkitt
    We don't know truth and it's always important to study and to undertand things that are not so clear, because they came from different ages. It's important, from a scientific point of view I'd say, to think about facts and not only ideas, and to change eventually your mind considering facts and not opinion.

I'd really like to see dial's back, maybe some day we'll be able to see it. In the meantime we discovered something new! It's always something that make us richer. Thank you!

19. wouter van wijk Jan 8, 2020

this debate is interesting. when I meet older watchmakers and dealers they tell me that it was part of the business. customers wanted a service and their was a spot on the dial, ergo dial repaint. they sometimes even did not ask and swapped it. its really funny how fashion and collectibility taste changes all the time

Larry S, billving and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. vujen Jan 8, 2020

Yes Wouter, this happened A LOT during 70s. People wanted "like new" dials, and patinas were seen like something not good.
    IMHO this is still happening in a different form: everybody now are asking for unpolished case, and there are A LOT of laser-made cases in the market right now.
    Maybe in 20 years tastes will change and these razor-sharp cases will be seen as something not collectible. I don't know.
    IMHO the best thing is to never touch the watch :) easy and simple.

janice&fred likes this.