Forums Latest Members

Advice with this Longines dial

1. Flaco73 Nov 27, 2019

Hello friends

I've been carefully reading your comments about Longines vintage dials, trying to learn how to spot a redial and I have to tell you that this forum is amazing. That's why I'm looking for advice with this vintage Longines, mid 50's 12.68ZS. I'm convinced crown is not original but what do you think about dial? 1268sz_dial.jpg

Best regards

George

2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Nov 27, 2019

Hello George,

This appears to be a reference 6264. The crown is incorrect but the dial and hands are original. Other examples of this reference can be found on the forum but here is one with the same style of hands: https://mitka.co.uk/longines-12-68zs/
    6264.JPG

Syrte and Flaco73 like this.
  3. Flaco73 Nov 27, 2019

Hello, DirtyDozen12

It's a pleasure to hear from you. Thank you for your comments. I've been looking for a 40's or 50's Longines with an original dial for a couple of months before picking this one. Do you think it's a good idea to look for a 50's crown and change it when I send the watch for a service? A crown like this one:

[​IMG]

It is the one from a ref 6264 sold here in the forum: https://omegaforums.net/threads/longines-1950s-12-68zs-ref-6264.52965/

Best regards

George

4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Nov 27, 2019

While I am partial to original crowns, you must weigh the cost versus the potential enjoyment. If you can find one for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it. Here is one that looks like it could be correct but I am not certain and the cost is not insignificant: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lo...721256?hash=item5b5b0ecfa8:g:Z4gAAOSwYNVdSGEePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. Flaco73 Nov 27, 2019

Hey, believe it or not, it's the same crown I've selected in eBay! Although the price of the crown is significant in relation to the cost of the watch I think it would still be a very good purchase. Anyway, I'll wait a few days to have the watch at home and then I will see.

I really appreciate so much your advice in these matters, I wish I could talk with you about more Longines in the future, I love the brand since I was a kid.

Best regards

George

6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Nov 28, 2019

While I have not loved Longines since I was a kid, I do love it now. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. It is a nice watch that you have chosen. All derivatives of the 12.68Z are high-quality movements. I also like the gold markings/hands with the steel case. Maybe the Longines emblem is even applied rather than embossed, like the hour markers.

P.S. Nice LP500 concept!

7. Flaco73 Nov 28, 2019

I have to confess that my admiration for Longines as a child has almost nothing to do with his watches (that's why I told you "the brand"). Longines was the watchmaker that sponsored Scuderia Ferrari (early 80's) when I was a child and my father had an old pocket Longines. I actually bought a Longines without knowing anything about their watches in 2001. I did it driven by my childhood memories and, well, here I am. It turned out to be a 12.68N with a strange redial and now I'm looking for original 12,68's!

The Countach had a sexy line, didn't it? A very photogenic car...