Advice regarding botched Speedmaster service

TL;DR - local Omega-certified watchmaker damaged my Speedmaster during a routine service. The store wants me to return the watch to him for repairs. Given his crappy handiwork, I think maybe I should instead fight for a refund and send it to Omega.

Longer version (with pictures!) - I dropped my Speedmaster off at a very well-regarded luxury watch store that has an in-house watchmaker. It was running fine, but was due for a routine service (last serviced in early 2018). The watchmaker bills himself as a "master watchmaker" and "horological MD". He has a certificate on the wall showing that he completed Omega factory training and there are numerous "Authorized Omega Service Center" signs around the service department area. His prices are identical to those of Omega. As it was easier to drop the Speedmaster off with him in person rather than packaging, insuring, and mailing it to Swatch, I could see no reason not to have it serviced locally.

About 8 weeks later, I get a call saying the Speedmaster is ready. After picking it up, I noticed the crown was rather tight and difficult to wind. It is also running -40 seconds/day (it was +5 seconds/day when I dropped it off). I emailed the watchmaker, who said he would look at it. I dropped it off, and picked it up again 3 days later. When I have some time later that evening, I fully wind the watch and set the time. So far so good. I check it an hour later and see that it has stopped running. Clearly something is off. I decide to look through the caseback and was rather pissed to see new scratches on the movement, scratched up screws, debris attached to the under-surface of the caseback, and multiple excessive drops of oil. Here are some pictures after the service:

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpg

Here are some before the service (unfortunately before the advent of the macro setting on the iPhone):
IMG_7919.jpeg
IMG_0232.jpeg
IMG_3459.jpeg

I obviously tried reaching out to the watchmaker expressing my concerns. He has decided not to respond. I then contacted the service department manager at the watch store directly, who expressed great concern and said to bring it back from them to look at and repair.

So my question to the sages of OF: Would you bring the Speedmaster back to the same watch-butcher, I mean "Horological MD"? Or would you demand a refund and send it off to Omega for repair? Thoughts? I am not going to name and shame, as I hope to come to an amicable solution with the watch store (which has been great up until this point).

I would go back and show them the mess they made and demand a refund. Find someone else to fix things.

Two times are plenty especially when things go from bad to worse with your 2-step dance already.

I can't imagine how frustrating that must be to have that happen. I would demand a refund and send it off to Omega.

I would want a refund, but reality is the 'MD' won't want to do that, preferring to give it another go to 'make it right'. Are you sure the Omega expert worked on the watch and not someone else in the department, or maybe they sent it out to an independent? Try to get as much refund as you can and send it off for rehabilitation.

If the watchmaker gets in lots of Omega's, I see no harm in "name and shame". The contrary, actually. It may benefit to avoid future potential butchered movements.

If the watchmaker gets in lots of Omega's, I see no harm in "name and shame". The contrary, actually. It may benefit to avoid future potential butchered movements.

+1. We review each other on our private sales. We should be able to review outside watchmakers. Based on what you said, I would be extra cautious if I needed their service.

But I respect your decision to not name if you choose not to do so.

and there are numerous "Authorized Omega Service Center" signs

Are they actually Omega authorized? If so perhaps contacting Omega directly might be your best course of action. I'm sure they would like to know about poor service experiences from an authorized agent.

Remember they are only Human. May have had a bad day etc. Could be getting old.

I do not want to work on my own speedy for just these reasons. I want a place where I can walk in and have a relasonship.

Might be better to contact Omega direct. They should have records of the watchmakers performance reviews. Complaints comebacks etc. If the watchmakers work is bad it will generate many complaints. Management might be covering for such. Omega may already be aware of issues.

I see certificates (not Omega) on the mall repair station. They have a nice setup. All the tools laser equipment etc. Counter person is there for customer service. Thing is anyone with access to a printer and stationary store can make a certificate.

If the Omega parts restrictions are as draconian as some make them out to be. Then there must be some sort of accountabiltity. (and keep them from slipping parts out the back door.) Which is probably what the factory is more concerned about than dust in a movement or a scratched screw. Both which in this day and age seem to be inexcusable.

This is a good reason why part should be available to independents and distributors. I still think there needs to be another level of certification for the collector hobbyist who is not doing trade repairs, and wants the best service they can do for their own collection. Someone who does not flip watches for a profit.

I have a feeling that getting a refund is already going to be an uphill battle. Dragging the jeweler's name through the mud before meeting with the service manager is unlikely to help.

I have a feeling that getting a refund is already going to be an uphill battle

If you paid by credit card you can do a charge-back.

Now with most watches, most people wouldn’t even know that the watch maker had been a bit casual with the repairs but with a display back it’s a bit of a dead giveaway isn’t it?
Edited:

I had a similar experience many years ago. I was lucky as I had before and after pics and knew the store owner. Luckily, he refunded my money (IIRC $550) and I sent it to omega. I would request a refund from the owner.

Longer version (with pictures!) - I dropped my Speedmaster off at a very well-regarded luxury watch store that has an in-house watchmaker.

Is this an Omega AD?

Might be better to contact Omega direct. They should have records of the watchmakers performance reviews. Complaints comebacks etc. If the watchmakers work is bad it will generate many complaints.

It doesn't work that way. Independent watchmakers are just that - independent. Omega (or any other brand) don't do performance reviews, other than when you are at their training. If you fail there, you fail. If you pass, you pass.

It's up to the individual watchmaker to maintain their own standards of performance, which is why having and following specific procedures, and developing good habits is crucial to sustained good work.

If the Omega parts restrictions are as draconian as some make them out to be.

They far from "draconian." If you are a trained watchmaker, have a modern well equipped shop, you just apply, take the training, and you are good. The policies of Rolex, Richemont, and LVMH are far more restrictive than Swatch is, but people always dump on Swatch. In a watchmakers group I'm part of, several of them said that all Tag account holders in the US were sent a letter telling them that all their accounts are closed, and they must stop servicing Tag watches immediately, and will be "invited" to reapply for a new account in about a year.

The people who complain about Omega are those who never had a parts account with Omega, and relied on third party resellers for their parts. They put a lot of effort into complaining, when they could put that effort into getting certified. My gut tells me many of them are too afraid that they will fail at the brand training, so they don't bother.

The text on the caseback is in a different position in the after shots... almost like it wasn't screwed down enough. You might have some water resistance issues.

Yes, they are an AD for Omega.

My advice would be to take it back to them, and insist they send it to Omega for a full repair, including replacement of the scratched parts, at their expense.

The people who complain about Omega are those who never had a parts account with Omega, and relied on third party resellers for their parts. They put a lot of effort into complaining, when they could put that effort into getting certified. My gut tells me many of them are too afraid that they will fail at the brand training, so they don't bother.

While I respect your technical skills I am not sure you understand what I am saying.

I and many others who complain are not a business. We do not run a shop. We are not in this for profit. We are enthusiast who do this for what most people call a hobby. A passion.

What this is is Unfair.

I put in a good 10 years in the 1990s. Weekend evenings and such. I had some kind friends help me because I was not the right age for the swiss schools. I was also working for apple at the time and making a decent living. None of this stopped me from meeting the legends. Visiting factories. And looking at the stuff in the basements of museums.

The main people I see complaining are the parts distributors. These folk lost much of their business. Some even closed their doors (I used to get a lot of parts from S. La Rose.) The scammers and shady people do not give a shit about any of this. They just want to make as much money possible with the least effort. Chances are they steal it from the factory as employees. Otherwise such will use intimidation to eliminate perceived competition.

There was a time, when I could contact SMH and order parts. At the time the internet was in it's infancy. I did not have access to data sheet through a simple search. I did collect the ephemera. It does take some skill learning what the numbers in tables with no illustrations mean. My mentors worked on the collections that were not on display in San Francisco museums. Breguets and stuff mere mortals never here about. All old school stuff. They did not care about mass market things like omega. Which I could get for 60 to 120 bucks from the dealers who saw me coming.

The problem is not Omega. Nor is it Swatch. Ironically Apple is as much responsible for this as anyone. And they dumped me when I turned 40 for someone percieved as cheaper. Companies now are bought and sold like farm commodities. It is not about making a better product. It is a slot machine for cashing out by selling the company. Xenophobia and not invented here has become the focus. It is a mistaken belefe that Darwinian dogma means I must be better than you to survive. Eliminate the competition and crush but do not kill the enimy or his family to make a point. The whole lord of the fly's thing.

Sure one could get political. Contact representatives, draft legislation for them to condenser etc. And like this comment become a target what is easy to put down by saying that person is just another whiny looser.

I got interested in other things for 20 years. Such things happen. Online sales were mostly scams. When my friends died the clubs became mostly dogma and exclusionary. Yes I can be an annoying person. I also happen to be a polymath and can talk to experts on any subject.

I am addicted to information overload and find few people who can respond at my level. I probably have an eidectic memory and can remember things from 60 or 30 years ago like they were yesterday. I have no sense of time. And never learned how to tell time in elementry school.

I once overheard my mentor tell someone he would test me for this. Mixing up his books and magazines on the shelf.

I would happily take the brand training. I have the equipment and skills many people envy.

Actually I am frustrated today. I was using a staking tool to remove a broken arbor from a pallete fork (470 1316) on the 505 I have been working on. It slipped off the staking tool and vanished into thin air. I was up late till probably three AM last night sweeping a 3 foot circle around the bench. Combing my hair. Stripping and shaking out my clothes etc. (why watchmakers work in private.)

It could take weeks or months to find this part. There are none listed at OFrie or Paylak. The ones online have ridiculous prices, meaning this part is in short supply. I also lost a bid this morining for a bunch of 470 1437 driving ratchet gears, which shot up to what the other scalpers are charging.

People have the same issues with Taylor swift and other concert tickets too.

So now I either have to pay the price and wait another month. Or put this aside and see if it turns up which can take months.

Ironically I was staking the part, As the plate is soaking in alum to remove the dial screw. A technique I learned from you @Archer. So there seems to be a split here. Where there is wonderful technical descriptions available if only one takes the time to look. On the other hand there is this company line to suck up and only use factory repair, lest I loose my certification. And I do recognize that those who have been lucky enough to run a small (or large business) have more work than they can handle and do not like hearing complaints and criticisms.

Nothing personal. It just sends the wrong message.

*Deep Breath -- before sending reply. Dripping with sarcasm."

(Did anyone else notice it is April 15?)

While I respect your technical skills I am not sure you understand what I am saying.

I and many others who complain are not a business. We do not run a shop. We are not in this for profit. We are enthusiast who do this for what most people call a hobby. A passion.

What this is is Unfair.

I put in a good 10 years in the 1990s. Weekend evenings and such. I had some kind friends help me because I was not the right age for the swiss schools. I was also working for apple at the time and making a decent living. None of this stopped me from meeting the legends. Visiting factories. And looking at the stuff in the basements of museums.

The main people I see complaining are the parts distributors. These folk lost much of their business. Some even closed their doors (I used to get a lot of parts from S. La Rose.) The scammers and shady people do not give a shit about any of this. They just want to make as much money possible with the least effort. Chances are they steal it from the factory as employees. Otherwise such will use intimidation to eliminate perceived competition.

There was a time, when I could contact SMH and order parts. At the time the internet was in it's infancy. I did not have access to data sheet through a simple search. I did collect the ephemera. It does take some skill learning what the numbers in tables with no illustrations mean. My mentors worked on the collections that were not on display in San Francisco museums. Breguets and stuff mere mortals never here about. All old school stuff. They did not care about mass market things like omega. Which I could get for 60 to 120 bucks from the dealers who saw me coming.

The problem is not Omega. Nor is it Swatch. Ironically Apple is as much responsible for this as anyone. And they dumped me when I turned 40 for someone percieved as cheaper. Companies now are bought and sold like farm commodities. It is not about making a better product. It is a slot machine for cashing out by selling the company. Xenophobia and not invented here has become the focus. It is a mistaken belefe that Darwinian dogma means I must be better than you to survive. Eliminate the competition and crush but do not kill the enimy or his family to make a point. The whole lord of the fly's thing.

Sure one could get political. Contact representatives, draft legislation for them to condenser etc. And like this comment become a target what is easy to put down by saying that person is just another whiny looser.

I got interested in other things for 20 years. Such things happen. Online sales were mostly scams. When my friends died the clubs became mostly dogma and exclusionary. Yes I can be an annoying person. I also happen to be a polymath and can talk to experts on any subject.

I am addicted to information overload and find few people who can respond at my level. I probably have an eidectic memory and can remember things from 60 or 30 years ago like they were yesterday. I have no sense of time. And never learned how to tell time in elementry school.

I once overheard my mentor tell someone he would test me for this. Mixing up his books and magazines on the shelf.

I would happily take the brand training. I have the equipment and skills many people envy.

Actually I am frustrated today. I was using a staking tool to remove a broken arbor from a pallete fork (470 1316) on the 505 I have been working on. It slipped off the staking tool and vanished into thin air. I was up late till probably three AM last night sweeping a 3 foot circle around the bench. Combing my hair. Stripping and shaking out my clothes etc. (why watchmakers work in private.)

It could take weeks or months to find this part. There are none listed at OFrie or Paylak. The ones online have ridiculous prices, meaning this part is in short supply. I also lost a bid this morining for a bunch of 470 1437 driving ratchet gears, which shot up to what the other scalpers are charging.

People have the same issues with Taylor swift and other concert tickets too.

So now I either have to pay the price and wait another month. Or put this aside and see if it turns up which can take months.

Ironically I was staking the part, As the plate is soaking in alum to remove the dial screw. A technique I learned from you @Archer. So there seems to be a split here. Where there is wonderful technical descriptions available if only one takes the time to look. On the other hand there is this company line to suck up and only use factory repair, lest I loose my certification. And I do recognize that those who have been lucky enough to run a small (or large business) have more work than they can handle and do not like hearing complaints and criticisms.

Nothing personal. It just sends the wrong message.

*Deep Breath -- before sending reply. Dripping with sarcasm."

(Did anyone else notice it is April 15?)

phew-robertdowneyjr.gif

On the contrary I fully understand what you are saying. If you have paid attention at all since being here, I am in full support of the open distribution of parts to anyone who wants to buy them. But my wish for this means nothing, because I have zero control over it.

What this is is Unfair.

Life isn't fair. So as much as I agree with what you are saying, not sure what you expect.

The main people I see complaining are the parts distributors.

Not in my experience. I know personally several of these distributors, and although they are not happy about it they do not continue to whine about it all the time. Cousins has launched a lawsuit - as much as I very much doubt their ability to win it, at least they got off their asses and did something. For me places like Otto Frei not being able to sell parts is a bit of Karma because they ripped people off for years charging exorbitant prices for parts.

Most watchmakers I know (the most vocal group) who claim to have been "cut off by Omega" never had a relationship with Omega in the first place, so they can't be cut off by them.

Then apply to Omega for a parts account - stop complaining and start doing.

What are you talking about? If you are suggesting that I am always recommending factory repair, then again you have not paid attention.

I know you like to feel hard done by - maybe you were, maybe not - I have no idea. But whatever has happened to you in the past wasn't the fault of anyone here.