Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2019

OMEGuy likes this.
  2. OMEGuy Dec 3, 2019

Now I know why one says that the watch has got a face...

3. JwRosenthal Dec 3, 2019

4 pages in and there has been no discussion about poop, depth ratings or Snorkeling...I feel cheated on this thread.
    Fine- here we go- SNORKEL!!!

07006EB9-C5C1-476F-9C94-F2CB9B93A8C8.jpeg

Taddyangle, DaveK and M'Bob like this.
  4. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

It is, what is your point?
    It's only a silly question because, as we have seen here, you can't complete a deal on such a valuable watch without exchanging personal numbers. Hence me starting this thread asking if anyone has his number. I have learnt from my mistake, I'm not new to international watch dealings, perhaps the solid contact via message (on Chrono24 and here) with a trusted collector made me a bit too laid back about this particular deal. Thank you for your input though.

:D
    Forgive me for the lack of pictures, I won't be posting any as I honestly wasn't trying to turn this into a sales ad.. although as has already been pointed out if this keeps going I'll be at 200 posts by tonight anyway. Yes, that is my advert on TRF, I've been a member there since 2013 and have good references for buying and selling. So for those that really think all this is one big scam 6 years in the making.. ::facepalm1::

Thanks Denarius, like I said earlier, unfortunately being located in Australia has really caused problems selling this watch. I used to live in London and hadn't thought much in advance about the different market here and added difficulties in posting/importing the watch before I started selling the watch. Perhaps an auction house in Europe is the way to go.

In regards to the sanctimonious talk about the crime I am committing, I at no point said this watch was smuggled into the US by my pilot friend. I suppose if this ends up being a cash sale you also think he will smuggle $25000 AUD back into Australia in his socks?

If anyone else needs to investigate me I can save you the time and private message you my National Insurance number, a scan of my passport, a link to my Facebook, a list of my favourite foods and tell you my mothers maiden name ::bleh::::bleh::

5. M'Bob Dec 3, 2019

I knew there was something missing...thanks.

6. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

Oh jheeze not this again, mods go ahead and close the thread ::yawn::

JwRosenthal likes this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 3, 2019

I think there is Al.
    If I wear a wristwatch when entering the US and don't declare that I intend to sell it, who is to know if I intend to sell it or not. I am not smuggling anything.
    If I am having a beer in some hotel bar and start talking watches with a stranger who notices my watch and offers to buy it on the spot, am I breaking any law by selling it to them ?
    Would US customs have any previous PM's between myself and said stranger on OF logged on their database?

8. M'Bob Dec 3, 2019

How many ya got?

9. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

Thank you for the genuine help people have offered here and privately, to everyone else I truly envy all the free time you have. It's 8.30am here and I'm off to work :(

simonsays likes this.
  10. M'Bob Dec 3, 2019

Without debate.

11. M'Bob Dec 3, 2019

Okay, c'mon now. You know he's referring to whether the intent to sell was there at the time the forms were being filled out. In your scenario, the question would be, if you turned a profit on the sale, would you claim that as income on your taxes?

Archer, omegaman and eugeneandresson like this.
  12. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

;)

13. JwRosenthal Dec 3, 2019

I can’t speak to all the other stuff, but I understand @edgware14 pinging publicly about a member who has gone dark. I was in a similar transaction with a well respected members here (although with a much lower dollar value), and he went dark for 2 days after I had paid him. I wasn’t overly concerned, life happens- but then I got a ping from his wife that he fell off a ladder and almost killed him self. So yeah, had I not heard from his wife, I would have asked publicly if anyone had heard from him and if he was ok.

14. MRC Dec 3, 2019

I am damn glad this form wasn't used 40 years ago. I quite frequently entered the USA with a computer tape (1/2inch wide, 2400ft long) with software we intended to use for "soliciting orders", and indeed selling for several millions of USD if ever we hooked a customer.

Only problem at that time was that importing new computer tape had a cruel tariff per foot (!!), but on showing that it clearly was used tape I could bring it in at no charge.

Canada? I was never asked what I was carrying :D

Oh yeah, fancy watch on the wrist? Cambridge Airport (EGSC) is the only place I've been asked to hand over my watch for examination by a Customs officer. 2 flights from outside UK per day (neglecting the military C130s) makes for a very bored Customs officer.

15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 3, 2019

Being a UK resident I wouldn't need to.

16. OMEGuy Dec 3, 2019

Just for me: Is this forum a place to find answers from the experts or a place to be punished for asking quesions?

CONSIDER YOURSELF IN CUSTODY : AS YOU ARE A MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING I WILL FOREGO THE USUAL BAIL.
    YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTICE WHEN YOUR HEARING IS SCHEDULED.

CICINDELA, FORUM QUESTIONS TEXT OFFICER.
    CUSL.jpg

Edited by a mod Dec 3, 2019
    Atalien2005 likes this.
  17. M'Bob Dec 3, 2019

Both.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2019

Intent is the key - if you brought the watch in knowing you intended to sell it, and didn't declare is as such, then yes you are smuggling.

"Smuggling is the illegal transportation of objects, substances, information or people, such as out of a house or buildings, into a prison, or across an international border, in violation of applicable laws or other regulations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smuggling

If you just brought the watch to wear, and had no intent on selling it, and someone out of the blue offered to buy it off your wrist, then no you are fine. Again the key is intent.

This second scenario is very different from what the OP had his friend do though. His friend brought the watch in specifically to sell it, which makes it a commercial importation to the US. If he declared it or not is unkown, but I'm not sure how you would "avoid customs duties" without bringing it in undeclared as an item for sale...

19. JwRosenthal Dec 3, 2019

What’s pleasure without pain??;)

20. OMEGuy Dec 3, 2019

I thought, that OF is the place to be, when you are OMEGA affiliated in any way and that gaining help from other knowledged collectors is not a problem.